Forums Latest Members
  1. dscoogs May 17, 2018

Hello all - I am looking for a period correct flat foot crown for my 145.022-68 and saw this on ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Om...873449?hash=item1cab4a8ae9:g:SCwAAOSwJKxakKxdPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I asked and the seller confirmed that the stem size is 0.9mm. According to this thread - https://omegaforums.net/threads/advice-needed-with-flat-feet-crowns-sea-speed-masters.60185/ - the width and height of this crown seem OK but the stem size should be 1.0mm for Speedmaster.

Could this work for my 145.022-68 if the watchmaker can adapt for the incorrect stem size, or would I be better off with a WTB for a correct one? Thank you in advance.

-dscoogs

2. td69 May 17, 2018

In my experience, it could but just so you know this isn't the original vintage crown made by Omega. I believe it's an after market made to look correct. If I were you, I would try to create a WTB or to source the original vintage one. I see it pop up for sale on the Bay from time to time. Good luck.

dscoogs likes this.
  3. Caliber561 May 17, 2018

It isn't original, and the sad thing is that the seller casually omits any information that it isn't from the listing. If you look at the bevel on the bottom of the crown, it's completely smooth when authentic crowns have a series of striations that line up with the knurling on the side.

Also, this dude's Railmaster parts are very, very subpar... "Refinished?"

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 17, 2018

The listing states that it's a replacement part... is that not enough to know that it's not a real Omega crown?

5. Caliber561 May 17, 2018

Technically service parts are replacement parts too
    If a buyer didn't know all the details of a flat foot crown, then they might assume that the part is genuine, as the seller doesn't mention the part being a replica in his listing. In that case, it's likely that buyers would probably be out of 300$ on the basis of a technicality as they would not have a firm way to show that the seller described the item incorrectly.

6. dscoogs May 17, 2018

I did assume that "replacement parts" means the same as "OEM replacement/service parts" when I saw the ad, but I will no more ...
    Thank you for all the feedback. I will skip this one, and try to source an original vintage one :)

7. td69 May 17, 2018

I personally find the description disingenuous, especially for the use of "Vintage" in the headline and "Very hard to find" that could potentially mislead the uninformed.

Caliber561 and dscoogs like this.
  8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 17, 2018

Well, it's technically the wrong stem size anyway, though it could be adapted to fit as a stand in until you find the right one, but at a better price .

dscoogs likes this.
  9. dscoogs May 17, 2018

Thank you all again. WTB created, "awaiting moderation ... " I guess since it's my first buy/sell related activity.

10. BatDad May 17, 2018

Ah dang it. Mental note - don't have beer and then go on ebay thinking you've found a bargain...