Forums Latest Members
  1. jayrock26 Jan 4, 2016

Hey guys,

so im sending my speedy in to get serviced and relume on the hands that are missing lume, however the tritium on the dial also appears to have flaked off and is white. would it be appropriate now to get a relume done to the dial since its just bare markers? would be getting a vintage style relume to keep the look everything is original its just worn out.

also on a side note when a dial is relumed, do they only touch the markers? i read a thread where the dial was cleaned and paint on the dial chipped off, im thinking that must be in cases where the existing lume needs to be washed off.

thanks for the advice

2. mozambique Jan 4, 2016

Reluming the dial is really a matter of preference. Personally, I find the white painted dial plots to be visually jarring. If it was my watch I would probably get the dial re-done as well in an aged colour. If you plan on keeping the watch 'forever', then it doesn't really matter if you relume the dial (from an originality standpoint). If you will sell at some point, then bear in mind that some buyers will prefer the untouched white markers over re-lumed.

What reference is it?

'chipping the dial paint off' likely refers to scraping off the old tritium lume. No point in removing the white paint underneath.

3. jayrock26 Jan 4, 2016

Yeah id keep the white paint there so they wouldint really have to touch the dial except for applying new paint/lume

Yeah i think thats what ill do, i do plan on keeping it forever im just nervous that it will be done poorly. Is there any pictures of relumed speedmasters out there? Mines a 145.012 - 67

4. mozambique Jan 4, 2016

Just make sure you go with someone who knows what they are doing.
    International watch works has been recommended here before for reluming.
    i would google pics of 145.012's to get an idea of the variety of aged lume colours if you want to get a particular colour. Bear in mind that if you send any electronic JPEG pics to the relumer showing desired colour, then the colours on their monitor will not necessarily match what you see on yours re. monitor calibration. Better off sending printed pic. Note that often the lume colour on the hands tends to be different to that on the dial. Think about whether you want to the lume to glow or not (50yo tritium has pretty much lost its glow by now) - any decent relumer should be able to relume using low or no-glow media.

5. jayrock26 Jan 4, 2016

Thats what i think ill do, im not sure who to trust either IWW or ABC watchwerks but ive never seen examples from either to know, i would want a non luminous aged tritium look. Imo everything is original still just making the colors on the dial and hands even and more pleasing. Ill be keeping the watch anyways i suppose