Forums Latest Members
  1. wsfarrell Oct 20, 2018

I recently picked up a vintage Seamaster 300 that needed some help. The case was kind of bunged up, the crown was incorrect, it had a non-Omega crystal, and the dial lume had the look of algae:

seamaster_300_orig_2.jpg

The good news: it ran well, had a nice bezel, and came with what I believe was the original 1039/516 bracelet. I decided to leave the case as found. I sourced a correct crown and crystal, then sent the dial off to James Hyman for a relume. It all came together nicely, I think, and serves me well as a great tool watch:

seamaster_after2.jpg

WurstEver, qboa, kgb33 and 22 others like this.
  2. jud Oct 20, 2018

Sweet.

wsfarrell likes this.
  3. ndgal Oct 20, 2018

Hmmmmm. Should've left the dial lume original IMO.
    It's only original once. Now... It's not... :unsure:

qboa, eugeneandresson, Dgercp and 5 others like this.
  4. driver1969 Oct 20, 2018

Good catch. Some might not like the idea of restoring or any type of modifications, but that’s only relevant if you plan on selling in the future if at all. It’s a keeper, enjoy!!

jumpingsecond likes this.
  5. Enchanted Oct 20, 2018

I personally like the old look better but if you like the relume, thats all that matters. Very sexy watch no matter what. :)

6. ndgal Oct 20, 2018

I’m fine with restoring a watch that needs it. This one didn’t, and shouldn’t have been.
    Just my opinion.

driver1969 likes this.
  7. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 20, 2018

Enjoy and thanks for sharing!

tamura, BenBagbag, Paedipod and 2 others like this.
  8. Blaise Oct 21, 2018

While the watch looks better than int he before photo, I also should've left the dial as is. That was the original condition even if the hands didn't match. Having said that the after photo looks great and if you like it better than before that's all that matters :)

9. paulw Oct 21, 2018

From my 'non-collectors' perspective it looks far better now the dial lume matches the hands, then again I'm hoping to get my Seamaster back soon, with restored dial, re-lumed hands, new genuine crystal & subtle case polish, so I guess I would be OK with the better newer version. Also IMO it won't matter if you decide to sell as the 'expert' collectors will probably know its re-lumed or you could just say it has been. I've not been 'into' watches for very long, but even I've come to realise that they all have a value irrespective of condition and it really is a balance between what you want the watch to look like and potential value generation. For me the primary driver is that I want to wear it, so its got to look good - I wouldn't want to be seen with some of the watches that are enthused about on here, which is great as I'm never going to be tempted by those rare collectables and my bank balance is all the safer for that ;)

Paul

Edited Oct 21, 2018
    Paedipod likes this.
  10. Rochete Oct 21, 2018

I much prefer the charming original aged look but unfortunately the watch isn't mine, so wear and enjoy!

11. jaguar11 Oct 21, 2018

You can like what you like. No one else has to like it.... Nice job! Wear in good health.

Mouse_at_Large and jumpingsecond like this.
  12. Dan S Oct 21, 2018

It will matter. "Expert" collectors will take a pass on it altogether. But I suspect that the knowledgeable OP was well aware of this when he made the decision to restore the dial, and resale was not his primary concern.

13. paulw Oct 21, 2018

but there will still be plenty out there who will buy it and be very happy with it, so...

Paul

14. trash_gordon Oct 21, 2018

Prefere the original patina. The look was more authentic for a Diver watch.

15. wsfarrell Oct 21, 2018

True.

16. wsfarrell Oct 21, 2018

It wasn't my intention to start a "restored vs. original" thread, though I suspected it might turn into one. My own view is that there's a spectrum of patination which different people find wearable. Photos below from Rolex Passion Report.

I myself would be happy to wear this watch:
    rolex1.jpg

Nope:
    rolex2.jpg

Yikes!
    rolex3.jpg

surftime and Mmike1357 like this.
  17. JanV Oct 21, 2018

Here’s an idea I have been thinking about for some time. If I buy a collectible watch and for example relume it, but leave it in my possession for another 40 years before even contemplating selling it, would you still be able to 100% certainty tell then, at that time 40 years from now, that this still is a relume? Or has the appearance narrowed itself down and closer to an original? Hence I could get a collectible, fix it up gently (relume, light polish / scratch removal, etc., to enjoy it as a almost “new” watch for an additional 40 years, instead of using one that is already looking like its on its last run, and definitely look like a beat up and used one 40 years from now.

18. Rochete Oct 21, 2018

I'd happily wear 1st and 2d... if I liked wearing Rolex.

wsfarrell likes this.
  19. Rman Oct 21, 2018

The degradation on the last two examples is with the laquer not the lume. There are many dial experts who could remedy that without touching the lume and that intervention is seen as much more acceptable than reluming.
    That said I hope you enjoy your watch and are happy with the work.

20. Mmike1357 Oct 21, 2018

You have a beautiful Seamaster Sir! I don’t worry about a restoration, as long as it’s done faithful to the original, that is exactly what you have.