Forums Latest Members
  1. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 20, 2014

You should probably ask your watchmaker to be sure, but everything I see points to the above.

He did a wonderful job with the dial. This is true conservation, not restoration. The only other thing I suggest it trying to find a proper "bowler hat" type crown for it.
    [​IMG]
    The modern version on there now doesn't look correct.

Lovely watch,
    gatorcpa

TexasKevin likes this.
  2. ainterian May 20, 2014

Did that include a movement service and everything?

3. TexasKevin May 20, 2014

Yes it did. That was replacment crown, buffing out the crystal, the cleaning he did to the dial, and servicing the movement. $150 total.
    gatorcpa Yeah, the crown he used isn't the same as the original, the one that was on it before it came off was actually a smaller unsigned one (no logo).

4. Northernman Lemaniac May 20, 2014

I wish I was in Texas:D!
    Great job done! I liked it before restoration, I love it now!::love::

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 20, 2014

If you can get the case reference number from the inside of the case, you may be able to source the proper Omega signed crown from a parts house. I have a friend with one with this exact dial in solid 14K. It should be a US made case.

Something this nice deserves the right part.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

6. flyingout Jan 23, 2015

Was this true mainly of Omega or did many brands do it? I've got a Girard-Perregaux Gyromatic that is similarly discolored (greenish) as has what appears to be blisters all over the dial. I always figured this would take a redial to look acceptable, but maybe a similar cleaning is possible.

7. marturx Jan 23, 2015

I beg to differ. I like the natural patinaed before much better. The present condition of the dial is a clear no-go to me

RawArcher likes this.
  8. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 23, 2015

It was just the way they did it back in those days. I suspect that Pierce used a different lacquer because their dials seem to have survived the ravages of time better than most.