Forums Latest Members
  1. TexasKevin Apr 3, 2014

I posted about this watch a few months ago. After 3 months I finally got my watch back.
    At first look, I was stunned at how pretty it is now. After the initial excitement died down a little and I thought about it a little. They didn't really follow my explicit directions. I asked for the crystal to be buffed out, and the crown replaced and stated nothing should be done to the face. When they came back with an estimate the only thing they mentioned added was polishing the case. I said I was worried about devaluing it, and okay'd a light polish to the case.
    So, here's the before and after pics.
    BEFORE:
    37146-262008c01ed4b0c9b465b45ac6ff9002.jpg

AFTER:

20140403_080333.jpg

20140401_174153.jpg

It looks stunning now, but I'm no antique expert, I don't know the difference between patina and grime. Did this guy de-value my watch by cleaning the face and markers?
    I think I'm happy with the results, even though they didn't follow my directions, just curious if they ruined the value.
    Thanks for opinions.

citizenrich likes this.
  2. woodwkr2 Apr 3, 2014

Two possibilities here, and I'm kinda cringing for you...

1) many of these dials were coated with cellulose based lacquer, which can discolor and flake. This can sometimes be successfully removed without damaging (read: with minimal damage) to the underlying print on the dial. Then it can be re-sprayed with a protective top coat and you're on your way. The fact that the dial damage on the far left of the dial is still there argues in favor of this possibility.

2) the easier/more likely possibility is that the dial was completely re-done. In this case you've got a cosmetic improvement, but just lost some serious value in many peoples' eyes.

I'm no expert in identifying re-dials on these models, so I'm struggling to make an assessment with the pictures that you've posted.

The experts will be along shortly...

TexasKevin likes this.
  3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 3, 2014

I think they lifted the lacquer off the dial and cleaned it well. I would say the value of the watch has been upgraded by the work done.

Darlinboy, TexasKevin and ainterian like this.
  4. ainterian Apr 3, 2014

They totally messed it up!!! I'll help you out by offering 50% of what you paid for it originally :D

Beautiful watch. I'd pay way more for the new and improved "version."

TexasKevin likes this.
  5. John R Smith Apr 3, 2014

Certainly not a re-dial, but it has been cleaned. Some of us would perhaps prefer the warm patina of the aged lacquer as it was. But you still have a nice sharp facet on the bezel, so they have not over-polished the case. It's a lovely watch, so wear it and enjoy your vintage Omega :thumbsup:

TexasKevin likes this.
  6. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Apr 3, 2014

Not likely to be a redial, since the damage on the circumference of the dial is still present. I would say this enhanced the value of the watch.

Darlinboy and TexasKevin like this.
  7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 3, 2014

+1, it is nicer now and you can use it daily with better look for 99% of people.
    ps: it still retained its value well

TexasKevin likes this.
  8. TexasKevin Apr 3, 2014

Thanks for all the opinions. I'm already very pleased with the work. No intent to sell, but was just curious about how the work affects it.

9. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 3, 2014

Whether it was merely cleaned or refinished the result is fantastic. It does not look refinished to me, but I have seen few dials cleaned with such success. My question is about the "track" between the 7 and 9-o'clock area. In the original photo, it looks like some of the track and markers were worn away. In the after photo, they are intact. Could be the crystal?

TexasKevin likes this.
  10. TexasKevin Apr 3, 2014

Yeah the crystal was pretty bad and obscured some things, I think it was just that.

11. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Apr 3, 2014

I usually like to leave my watches as they are but I prefer it after cleaning.

TexasKevin likes this.
  12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 3, 2014

Who are you and why have you hacked Kyle's account?

13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 3, 2014

College has transformed Kyle.

Fritz, cicindela and TexasKevin like this.
  14. hang10 Apr 4, 2014

I'm surprised that no one has asked the obvious question... who did the fabulous repair work on your watch?

TexasKevin likes this.
  15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 4, 2014

It's 02:30 in the morning in NY, what are you doing still awake?

citizenrich likes this.
  16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 4, 2014

And on a more serious note, excellent result Kev, it looks very original but with just some slight age on the edge of the dial.

A definite keeper :thumbsup:

TexasKevin likes this.
  17. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Apr 4, 2014

Trying to convince the manager of a medium famous band that it's illegal to smoke weed in my green room ...

JimInOz likes this.
  18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 4, 2014

Just show him the black hole in the end of your M1911, it's a great persuader.

19. ainterian May 20, 2014

Yeah, who did this work?!

TexasKevin likes this.
  20. TexasKevin May 20, 2014

Sorry, I missed that someone asked earlier. I went to a local Jeweler called Gunderson's. They have a guy in Sioux Falls, IA that they send their vintage stuff to. I hope it's not poor etiquette to say, but the charge was surprising low. That transformation was only $150.
    I have him fixing a DeVille for me now. Very happy with his work.

kpa likes this.