Forums Latest Members

Fitting newer Bracelet to 300SMP 2531.80 - Help

1. eckolsim Jan 8, 2020

Hi guys,

Have owned a SeaMaster for the last 17 years and loved it. Every 5 years or so I have had the pins in the bracelet (1503/825) fail resulting in the watch falling from my wrist. I have serviced the watch regularly and replaced all the pins every time this happens.

What I am looking to do is to replace the bracelet with the new version (1515/816) PN: 020st1515816. I prefer this style of bracelet and enjoy the feel when worn. The newer bracelet also uses screws to retain the pins.

Of course the local AD will sell me the parts, but will not advise whether the newer bracelet will fit. Before I commit to a new (and expensive) bracelet I am hoping to find some experience on here as to whether this is a successful match.

My watch below:

I have also added a link to a website that suggests it fits
    https://www.swisswatchspares.com/pr...20mm-steel-bracelet-fits-full-size-bond-watch

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Simon

9F17F089-9F32-41A8-B803-CA8716E6DC91.jpeg
  2. keisuke_z Jan 9, 2020

I’ve tried this before when I briefly had an SMPc and my 2220.80 at the same time. The end links won’t fit that well because of a height difference, but if you were to keep the original end links and put the new bracelet on there then it should be fine. Only thing to note is that the 1515 bracelet has slightly thicker links overall, so I found that it didn’t match the aesthetic of the case.

alternatively, you could also look at swapping the adjustable clasp onto the 1503 bracelet so that you don’t put as much stress on it? I’ve had my 2220.80 for 10 years but never had any problems with the pins, and it was my daily for most of the decade.

Hope that helps!

Peter_from_NL likes this.
  3. eckolsim Jan 10, 2020

Much appreciated keisuke.

I might have to look at other bracelet or band options.

Simon

4. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jan 10, 2020

If you routinely wash the bracelet, the pins and tubes last longer. Dawn and warm water are fine or you can invest in a n inexpensive ultrasonic cleaning machine.

Tom

Eve and janice&fred like this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 10, 2020

Pins and tubes are checked/replaced at every service, but that doesn’t mean you can’t change them more often. If previous experience has shown they fail every 5 years, I would simply make a point of changing them more frequently then that...a little bit of preventative maintenance can go a long way...

6. mattonthewater Jan 10, 2020

This.

7. omegawatchlvr Jan 10, 2020

Your bracelet does seem to have a lot of stretch in the parts where you can not change the pins and tubes. You can replace the pins and tubes of course and will be and feel a bit tighter but . Ask you watchmaker to also inspect the actual hole from the links itself where he puts in the new pins and tubes in. As these can also wear out . As to your original question, I have not tries so can't be of any help there.

8. mattonthewater Jan 10, 2020

You may be able to hybrid together a newer screw bracelet with your older end links. i've seen it done with planet ocean bracelets, but dunno on the SMP.

9. greyfox422 Jan 10, 2020

Archer gets a lot of that.

10. Peter_from_NL Jan 10, 2020

Are you sure this bracelet is original? Sorry for the “negative” remark. I have exactly the same watch and the bracelet is much tighter.

11. eckolsim Jan 10, 2020

Aps, I am sure this is the original bracelet. I could re-pin it again but was concerned that the pin holes had worn also. Hence if I needed a new bracelet then the investigation as to my options.

Thanks all to the advice so far.

12. Denarius Jan 11, 2020

I nearly purchased one of these the other day, great pick up and go watch.

I'm surprised about the bracelet though, I have a small cheap ultrasonic cleaner which is brilliant for bracelet cleaning and that is the key to stop wear, oils from the wrist get into the bracelet which then attracts dirt and grit which acts like an abrasive.

Even a wash through with hand wash and tooth brush helps loads..