Forums Latest Members
  1. Cardsfan Jul 16, 2019

Hi there,

Let me start off by saying that I’ve been lurking around here for a little while now and have tried to soak up as much information as I can from this great resource. The cumulative knowledge gathered on this forum is quite staggering and I am thankful for it. I’m a relative newcomer to the world of vintage watches in comparison to the folks here but trying to catch up.

After looking at aesthetics and reading the history behind a lot of these beautiful pieces I have narrowed my search to an Omega Seamaster of 1960s vintage. Still being in school means this is a pretty considerable purchase for me so after skimping and saving I think it’s time to start seriously looking to purchase. It’s taken a good deal of time searching but I came across this Omega from 1960 and it is pretty much exactly what I am looking for in regards to style. Unfortunately I sat on it too long and another buyer got it before me. The asking price was 650 USD.

2CBA5946-E19B-430A-BC7D-8297E423A2DD.jpeg 697B46DA-1D7E-4AEF-8398-34ABD3D12DAA.jpeg 81074D32-864F-4811-A7E0-BAE2109252F2.jpeg

The description follows: Omega Seamaster automatic nodate - WHITE SUNBURST w GOLD ACCENTS - 1960 - This is a gorgeous beauty in excellent original condition! The original white sunburst dial is in excellent condition, with very light patina. It looks quite amazing! The gold accents really make it pop! The steel case is in great condition, with signs of use. The crystal is original and Omega signed. The crown is a replacement. The watch is a ref 165.005, powered by an automatic cal 591 from 1960. Service history unknown, but it works perfectly and keeps great time. It measures 34,5mm diameter without crown, and 40,5mm from lug to lug.

If it isn’t too presumptuous of me to ask as a new member, I had a few questions for those of you who are undoubtedly more qualified than myself. Would this have been a good purchase? Am I on the right track? In that condition is that a fair price point?

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated and thank you for your time.

Edited Jul 16, 2019
  2. Shabbaz Jul 16, 2019

I cant see any pictures

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. Cardsfan Jul 16, 2019

My apologies on that. I formatted it with and must have made a mistake before posting.

4. Shabbaz Jul 16, 2019

Dont worry. You will find easily a similar SM for even less. This would not have been the buy of the year. You can get one in better condition for less.

5. Shabbaz Jul 16, 2019

And welcome by the way!

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 16, 2019

Asking price was twice what it's worth.

7. Vitezi Jul 16, 2019

Yes, you're on the right track, with respect to identifying a nice vintage watch. You found one with a nice dial, applied hour markers and a steel case - well done. :thumbsup: The edges of the case have been softened by wear over time, and perhaps by an overzealous polishing. Try to find one with sharp case edges. Also, don't forget to ask for photographs of the movement and inside caseback to ensure all the proper internal parts are present.

As others have noted the price was too high given its average case condition. Slow down, put your money back into your wallet, and take time to study these threads:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/condition-condition-condition-and-other-pieces-of-advice.1716/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/for-the-new-members-read.23288/

And welcome to the forum!

Benbradstock likes this.
  8. Cardsfan Jul 16, 2019

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate the feedback. After putting myself through all of the legwork that went into finding what I wanted I honestly felt queasy when I saw that it had sold before I had committed to it. However with the opinions expressed thus far maybe it was for the best. It is a relief knowing that I wasn’t too far off in what I should be looking for.

Edited Jul 17, 2019
  9. Edward53 Jul 17, 2019

Crown a replacement and not in the original style. Not really a watch collector's piece.

10. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 17, 2019

Would have needed maybe a further $200-300 to service it by which time at $850+ it looks a little steep. Always factor in service costs.

11. Cardsfan Jul 17, 2019

Thanks for the pointers . I did account for servicing and got a quote from someone local and you’re right that did put the overall price towards the extent of my budget.

It not being a collectors piece is most definitely correct. However I don’t think I would call myself a collector. I love the style and history of these watches and want something that I can wear without feeling guilty about it. That being said it seems I could still have gotten something of better quality for less so I am very glad I asked.

Thanks again and I appreciate the help!