Forums Latest Members

First vintage watch, replacing strap, service, cleaning/polishing

1. Cqret May 5, 2019

Hello, I am new here. I recently received a watch from my grandfather, however, he received it from his friend and has not really been using it himself (meaning I have no connection to scratches and such). I've looked online to see what model it is and the most similar I can find is this watch from 1972 that is for sale: https://www.chrono24.se/omega/geneve-gold-watch-14k-cal1030---1972--id11027718.htm

The watch seems to run fine and keep time but I don't think the date change mechanism works (it didn't change overnight at least). It also only lasts around 12 hours. I plan to have it serviced at an AD which will probably sort those problems.

Now to my questions, I've read that polishing a watch is about the same level of crime as murder and pillaging. I am no expert but the edges of the case seem sharp which leads me to believe it has not been polished(?). While the case of the watch looks okay, I would like the remove some of the scratches on the glass. I would also like the case thoroughly cleaned (or very lightly polished). What do you think of this? Would you remove scratches on glass? Would you clean/polish?

The strap is in fairly poor condition, how do I go about replacing it. I do want to keep the clasp. The strap is 18 mm at the thick end and the clasp is 16 mm. Can an AD fix this for me or do I need to find an old strap somewhere with the correct clasp?

What color of the strap would you recommend? Is black the go to or can you go with something like dark brown?

After servicing and changing the strap, would the watch have any value?

Thank you for your time.

(Also I do not know how to open the backside.)

Now pictures (yes I do have small wrists):
    IMG_20190504_101048.jpg
    IMG_20190504_100118.jpg
    IMG_20190504_100244.jpg

Shots in different light showing scratches:
    IMG_20190503_200613.jpg
    IMG_20190504_100533.jpg

Side shots:
    IMG_20190504_101654.jpg
    IMG_20190504_102804.jpg

Backside with ugly engraving:
    IMG_20190504_100658.jpg

Strap and clasp:
    IMG_20190504_101408.jpg
    IMG_20190504_101439.jpg
    IMG_20190504_101602.jpg
    IMG_20190504_101616.jpg

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 5, 2019

It's a very nice little Genève.

If your local AD has a proper watchmaker they can attend to the date problem while doing a service. It does not need to go to Omega, any competent watchmaker can do a service.
    Because of the condition it's essential that the watch is not polished in any way.

The case is easily opened by using the correct tools but needs a case press to seat the back properly when putting it back on. If you are technically challenged, leave it to a competent watchmaker.

Any nice leather strap with 18mm/16mm dimensions should fit your watch, it does not have to be "vintage".

As to value, it is a relatively expensive watch compared to a stainless steel equivalent, maybe some of our Scandiwegian members could comment.

ChrisN likes this.
  3. Vitezi May 5, 2019

There are several threads on this forum discussing strap styles, choices, and colors. You can't go wrong with brown or black with a gold case.

You can remove the scratches on the crystal yourself with the aid of some plastic polishing compound. A favorite amongst collectors is Polywatch. You can find a small tube available through online stores. Follow the directions, and make sure you use a cloth to polish (as opposed to a paper towel or tissue).
    [​IMG]

4. nicks May 5, 2019

Welcome.

You can hand polish the crystal yourself using a product called Polywatch, or have your watchmaker do it. If the scratches are deep, the crystal can easily be replaced by your watchmaker, either with a generic or Omega crystal.

The Omega buckle can be put on a new strap. It is a common size; you will have lots of choices of colour and style.

The case scratches look to me like it was worn with reasonable care. If you get the case polished, and then wear the watch, they will come back. Nothing gained except a shiny watch for a little while. So, no case polish.

There is a serial number on the movement that you can use to date the watch.

Nice watch! Enjoy.

5. 77deluxe May 5, 2019

Great watch. Big fan of inscriptions. +1 on polywatch and leave the case as it is. It looks great.

6. Cqret May 5, 2019

Thank you for the feedback everyone! I will stay away from polishing and only try to do something about the small scratches in the glass and the strap.