Forums Latest Members
  1. stefpix May 13, 2014

Hi, I have been reading the forum for some tips/

I just bought these 2 Omegas. do you think they are real?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371059443565?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

and this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360926681320?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

what do you think?

thanks

stefano

2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 13, 2014

Yes, they both look real.

3. stefpix May 13, 2014

4. Hijak May 16, 2014

Yes ST is for stainless steel. So what is your goal in buying these watches? If you were looking for nice watches to wear it looks like you did great...you spent less than $300 dollars on two nice watches. If you were looking for collectible watches to increase in value...not as good. You didn't pay much for either one, which is good, but these are not very collectable and won't increase in value very much. However, you have two watches in nice shape that will look great on your wrist!:thumbsup: In the future if you are concerned about the authenticity or value of a watch post it and members here can give you advice on it.

5. stefpix May 16, 2014

Well I would love some Omega constellation for less than 300. automatic. I was going for a Bulova quartz dress watch, that is about $100

http://www.bulova.com/en_us/watch/bulova/dress/96B104

it looks nice, but I felt with a little more I could get an Omega.

I saw the same quartz I won for sale for $300.

Anyway I am not looking for collectible watches to increase value. What kind of models are good for that ( I could probably not afford them)? But I would like to buy these Omegas for a price below average, so if I need to pay for cleaning / maintenance I would not lose money if I want to resell them. Break even or a small gain. Also considering I will be charged import duties for one

I wonder if this is a fake

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271489632086?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I love these 2 (esp the black dial one)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201089317527?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201089318661?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I wonder why people start bidding so much 2 days before it ends. isn't it best to just bid before the auction ends?

thanks

stefano

ace likes this.
  6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 16, 2014

You do have some good taste there. The black dial looks particularly nice. The hidden crown one has been polished a bit much for my taste.

Some people either don't know how to play poker, or they are trying to scare you away. Don't let them. Personally, I almost always used a "sniper" program to avoid bidding wars. I either get the item at my price, or I don't get it at all.

Good luck!
    gatorcpa

7. Lex4TDI4Life May 16, 2014

Pretty sure the first one is a redial though, right?

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 16, 2014

Probably, but not sure. In-focus pictures would be helpful.

I won't be bidding.
    gatorcpa

9. stefpix May 19, 2014

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 19, 2014

That one looks pretty nice to me. Couldn't see if crystal was signed or not.

Price was decent also.
    gatorcpa

11. stefpix May 19, 2014

Thanks. I really appreciate this forum.

I feel then I should have got it then. I received the square one. I feel it is too small for my wrist, but it could be a great girlfriend gift, hadn't it ended in January.

I am eyeing one of these. I am becoming a US citizen this week and I would like a watch as a present to myself to commemorate.

there are 3 options. I like the one from Hong Kong best, but it seems that most watches from Asia are restored or fakes, so I am a bit worried (they state the crown is not original, which is ok, I am looking for something to wear, I could maybe look for a used Omega crown?).

The yellow dial one, I am not sure, how it looks in real life. I prefer a steel watch with white or black dial, but yellow could be OK. I am not a fan of gold dial or watches that are too golden.

this one is nice, but a bit too similar to a quartz I ordered. I wonder if I can clean it a bit.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/69-70s-Clas...twatches&hash=item4acaf4ee83&autorefresh=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

HK vendor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ELE...411897329?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2a3cfddff1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I think I may get this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Genev...439061674?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item338ecbeeaaPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I prefer the one above but this seems all original. what do you think? Is it OK to change the crystal?

yellow one from Ecuador, vendor seems forthcoming

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-GENEV...892588048?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item58aef7a810Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

How do you see if the glass is signed?

thanks so much for your help

stefano

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 19, 2014

First one is sold, let's not waste time with it.

Second one is a redial. Look at the word "Seamaster". Spacing of the letters is uneven. They're getting better with the "Swiss Made" at the bottom.

Third one is the best of a sorry lot. I think it's all original, but looks like the lugs are bent. Not sure if the dial is messed up or it's just on the crystal. In any case, it's not worth taking a chance on, IMO.

Fourth one, yuck. ::puke:: Hands are wrong and dial is yellowed. Not crazy about this seller, either.

Congratulations on your naturalization, Citizen!
    gatorcpa

13. stefpix May 19, 2014

Gatorcpa,

thanks,
    I actually made an offer for 180 on the first one and the seller has accepted. He seemed responsive, and the feedback was good.

I appreciate frankness, so tell me what you think. Anyway, I like it better than a current Tissot or Bulova Quartz I was considering.

Naturalization has been easy, green card was a longer more foggy journey.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 19, 2014

OK. Just remember that you asked for it...Please don't shoot the messenger!:eek:

I see a real problem with the movement. The regulator assembly is broken.

[​IMG]

The picture is somewhat out of focus at the bottom, but you can clearly see the hole where the screw that adjusted the regulator was located. Also, it looks like there was some rust that caused the piece to fall apart. That means there could be some major water damage that you can't see.

Compare the picture above with this cal. 613 that I pulled randomly from the web:

[​IMG]

There may be more missing pieces here. A watchmaker familiar with these can tell you exactly what else you'll need. The good news is that most of the parts seem to be avaliable from Jules Borel.

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=OME_613

The question here is whether the cost to restore this watch added to the auction cost may be more that the overall value when restored.

This is a deal I would seek to void, as the watch is not as advertised. It is not complete.

You really need to let us see your purchases before pulling the trigger. Not sure you're ready to fly solo on eBay just yet.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 20, 2014

Not sure you would get a refund on that one, but I rarely buy from eBay so I don't know how literally they take the descriptions, and I've never tried to get a refund or cancel a deal, so others are far more experienced at this than I am. But no where that I saw does it claim the watch is complete - just says it's in working condition, and sold "as is".

The regulator is actually not missing - semantics but as a watchmaker it's important to me if not anyone else. The fine adjustment for the regulator is missing, but the regulator arm and pins still are there from what I can see. The watch can still be regulated by moving the arm directly, which is how most watchmakers do this anyway - we really don't use those fine adjustments much if at all.

That said it looks to be in sort of rough shape overall.

Cheers, Al

16. stefpix May 20, 2014

Al,

thanks. I was looking for something functional that I could wear. I would not want to spend US $500 as now. $180 seems a lower price than many Omega watches in similar conditions that sold on ebay.

Maybe it can be cleaned a little when I get it.

as long as the watch is functional and sufficiently accurate, and looks like the photos I should be happy.

the seller has good feedback, his buyers seem happy of the purchases.

I will post photos when I receive it.

thanks

stefano

17. ace May 20, 2014

18. stefpix May 20, 2014

19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 20, 2014

You are correct! Also, this is a Frankenwatch. The movement should be a cal. 353, not 342.

Case looks like it could be a service replacement.
    gatorcpa

ace likes this.
  20. stefpix May 23, 2014

So I received my Geneve cal 610 year 1966. I am happy the way it looks, it is accurate so far in keeping time and it appears less scratched than in the auction photos (scratches are on the crystal, but I only see them in strong sunlight at an angle).
    The only doubt I have is if it looks too small on my wrist. I estimate it must be 32 / 33mm. I need to find the measuring tape.

what do you think?
    thanks
    stefano DSC_9654.jpg DSC_9651.jpg DSC_9648.jpg DSC_9640.jpg DSC_9631.jpg DSC_9627.jpg

ace and citizenrich like this.