Forums Latest Members
  1. MRBR Jul 16, 2012

Hello esteemed Omega enthusiasts,

My name is Marco and being new to watches I would like to purchase my first vintage Omega. I really like the design of this one, can you offer any thoughts or suggestions?

The seller has a very good rating. I like the black and silver combo, and the numerals make it seem sporty enough for someone in his mid-twenties... :) have I found a keeper? Thanks for any feedback

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1965s-Black-Vintage-OMEGA-Seamaster-Automatic-Date-Steel-Men-Watch-Uhr-Montre-/251104234495?_trksid=p4340.m1850&_trkparms=aid=222001&algo=SIC.CURRENT&ao=1&asc=11&meid=653438235308756712&pid=100011&prg=1005&rk=3&Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 16, 2012

It's a keeper only if you realize that the black dial is not original and that the movement has been poorly maintained.

Sadly, this looks like another "Mumbai Special", assembled in an Indian horological chop shop and exported to the UK.

At over $450, you should be able to do better,
    gatorcpa

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 16, 2012

You a Mad Men fan by any chance? :)

4. ulackfocus Jul 16, 2012

Gator's right - pass on that one.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 16, 2012

It can be pretty temping when the watch looks so nice, but trust the guys, looks can be deceiving.

6. MRBR Jul 17, 2012

Well, the tribe has spoken ;) I'm not too concerned though, part of the learning experience will be to identify a decent specimen amongst a few dogs! Thanks for your replies gents.

I do like the look of that black dial cicindela, and gatocpa I do not mind it being refinished, but a poorly kept movement doesn't seem like a worthy investment especially as it isn't getting any younger.

Dsio I actually didn't know about Don Draper's black Omega with the crosshairs until I did some research after your comment, that's something I'd def look for! I prefer the black dials to the white ones personally, especially with the silver case and indexing.

I see the calibre 561 and 562's are commonly available, are there any special case types that they should be matched with? Cheers and thanks for the hospitality

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 17, 2012

The Draper effect has created more demand for them and even the redialed ones are going up.

8. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 17, 2012

Speaking as the least refined and least knowledgable person on this forum, I have to believe even watches with refinished dials have value, and when the supply of watches with orig. dials is exhausted, many collectors will have to accept some refinished work. Who knows...there may come a day when a refinished dial is treated much the same as a new paint job on a classic car. No one can know the future, and we must all be careful to not let our own opinions and likes become the reality for all. The refinished dial watches have a place....just not the same value as the watches with orig. dials.

9. ulackfocus Jul 17, 2012

No doubt that there are people who are more concerned with the watch looking good over original so they can buy up the redials. And I have no issue with a refinished dial that's true to original. Problem is the redialers are never 100% accurate with Omega.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 17, 2012

You could be right, hell I know a guy that specifically collects forged artwork (fake copies of well known paintings painted by specific well known art forgers) and he pays more for some fakes than you would think a real piece costs.

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 17, 2012

The day someone does redials so well that they can not be told from the original, is the day that I'll start collecting them.:D
    The problem is they don't care enough to because there is no incentive.
    Guys that collect Hamiltons and other old American watches are at the point where many of them collect both original and refinished: for just the reasons Patrick stated.

12. Jacquot Jul 17, 2012

Yep, then do you wear the original dials or store them...? Some will never be museum pieces, but be rarer none the less...

13. smithrjd Jul 17, 2012

Well there is a finite number of all originals. Then there are the "restored" "serviced" and all the rest. Very subjective as to what these terms mean. Some like watches that look like new, others hate a repolish and relume. Dial redone is what it now, as time goes by these things will change. For myself, if I do not wear a watch then it will get put up for one I do want to wear. Some will hoard them in a drawer hoping for better days in the future.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 18, 2012

Generally the dials are restored over the originals. So the original finish is destroyed. For most vintage watches it is almost impossible to find proper replacement dials, even in poor condition.

We do what we can,
    gatorcpa