Forums Latest Members

first vintage Omega watch - need help with identification

1. wldvrien Oct 16, 2015

***EDIT 2: new pictures below: after being serviced + with new strap***
    ***EDIT 1: new pictures below: inside of the back case + mechanism***

Hi everyone

I am new to this forum and I'm looking for help to obtain information on the Omega watch I own.

After comparing some images on google, I think the watch is from around WWII. It compared relatively well with military style watches from around that period.

I am thinking about fully restoring the watch in order to wear it. I would change the band to a high quality leather one. Now it has a fixo-flex band.

Could you help me with identifying the year/model/value?

On the picture you can see the front of the watch. There are only even numbers displayed. On the back there is no information.

Thank you very much!

Willem

After being serviced
    -----------------------
    2015-10-24 12.59.45.jpg 2015-10-24 13.03.21.jpg 2015-10-24 13.55.58.jpg
    Before being serviced
    -------------------------
    IMG_20151016_115104 copy.jpg IMG_20151016_154003.jpg IMG_20151016_153800.jpg

Edited Oct 24, 2015
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 16, 2015

Need the case back off for serial and model number. Some more knowledgable members may give you a bit more but info is inside....

Loose the bracelet as soon as possible as they damage the lugs.....

3. wldvrien Oct 16, 2015

Thank you Standy. I'm taking the bracelet off right now.. I don't have a tool to remove the back case, but I will buy one.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 16, 2015

We have seen enough over the years that don't buy a tool. ::facepalm2::

5. wldvrien Oct 16, 2015

Hi Standy, I provided extra pictures of the watch.

6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 16, 2015

7. wldvrien Oct 16, 2015

Thank you Peemacgee. I went to a watchmaker this afternoon to restore it. The man is 86 and has a little shop in Ghent. Do you guys have any idea on the value of this watch when restored properly? Any suggestions about bracelets (eg. type of material, price range)?

8. novina Oct 16, 2015

Going by the refence number of 2640 only, vintage Omega sight brought this up. Possible the -8 would add the other style of dial you have. Not sure though. Others will be along to sort this out properly. I so much liked the last Vintage Omega site.

Reference 2640 only though:

International collection
    1949 - 1958
    Dimensions
    Ø36 mm
    Case
    Stainless steel
    Case Back Type
    Screw-in
    Dial
    Luminous (radium), with "Dauphine" hands
    Crystal
    Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet
    Leather
    Function
    Movements
    Type
    Manual winding (mechanical)
    Caliber Number
    Other
    Created in 1949
    17 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand
    TECHNICAL DATA
    Water resistance
    30 meters

omega.jpg

9. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 16, 2015

My 2640
    2015-04-29 04.07.00.jpg

10. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 16, 2015

I'm guessing English isn't your first language -so forgive me if it sounds like I'm criticising
    Please don't have the watch 'restored'
    Have the movement serviced and the case lightly cleaned not polished
    don't touch the dial other than a gentle dusting if required
    I can't tell if some of the minute plots have been touched up -they vary in size and look a little too good to be true (could be refraction of the crystal
    but is a lovely hobnail dial all the same
    The value of this kind of watch is out of my scope -others might be able to tell you
    I would personally rather see this on a nice black or brown leather strap than on a bracelet
    A Hirsch strap runs from $40 upwards depending on the style and material -and you can get new Omega buckles should you wish

if it is radium bear in mind it will still be radioactive for the next thousand years or so -so don't go licking the minute markers....;)

11. PatrickJ Oct 16, 2015

Make sure you service the watch with someone who understands vintage omega. Don't take it to anywatchmaker just because they have been in business a long time. Just to remind you what the other forum member said in that don't polish the scratches out of the watch on its case and do not restore the dial. If the plastic dial cover has light scratches use polywatch, see u tube for instructions. If you mess with the watch it will be worthless to a collector. Just saying that's all.

12. wldvrien Oct 16, 2015

The watch will be serviced, indeed, instead of restored. I am Belgian, so it's correct English isn't my first language. Dutch is.

I will call the watchmaker tomorrow morning to ensure he doesn't polish the scratches out of the case and doesn't touch the dial except for removing dust gently.

I will try not to lick the minute markers, although it's tempting :).

Jacquot likes this.
  13. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Oct 16, 2015

Whilst I understand the advice from a collector's viewpoint regarding the preservation of the watch as opposed to restoration, as you have stated you intend wearing the watch, the real decision you must make is whether you will be happy to have it on your wrist in its present condition.

14. wldvrien Oct 24, 2015

Hi everyone, thank you for all your very informative comments.

In my first post I added some pictures of the watch after being serviced and with a new brown leather Hirsch strap.

I have one more question: if I hold the watch horizontally and move it vertically I can hear something 'rattle' (if I hold it next to my ear). Is this normal? I went back to the guy who serviced my watch and he said it was normal, but I can't help to still have doubts..

Edited Oct 24, 2015