Forums Latest Members
  1. kmd28 Aug 4, 2018

Hi to all,

I'm planning on getting a vintage constellation from a Japanese auction site and I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this before I put my bid.

From the sellers page:
    Reference No. 168.005
    Movement : 561
    Serial No. 2070xxxx (1963 according to the internet)
    The seller also mentions that it's keeping time up to +5s/day and says it's a genuine crown. There is no mention of service history.

So my questions are,
    1. I tried searching for the reference number in the database and I saw no match for this specific piece. Now, I know the online omega database is not an exhaustive list of all possible omega watches, But since most probably you've seen a lot of these buy now, have you seen something like this before or is this a frankenwatch?
    The closest example I could find with these combinations is this (https://omegaforums.net/threads/thoughts-on-possible-constellation-purchase.79903/) Both have dogleg lugs, close serial numbers (the one on the link is from 1962 I think), 561 movement, dauphine hands, only difference I can see are the material of the dial and the crown.

2. Is it a good buy for $900? And considering the costs of having it serviced, would it be just better to wait for one to pop up from the private watch sales. And with that said, does this combination come up often in the private watch sales? (constellation, dog leg lugs, stainless steel case, dauphine hands)

I'd really appreciate any input or advice. Thanks in advance to everyone!

Editted : Grammar; words.

watch1.PNG watch2.PNG watch3.PNG watch4.PNG watch5.PNG watch6.PNG watch7.PNG watch8.PNG watch9.PNG watch10.PNG
    Spruce likes this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 4, 2018

Dan S likes this.
  3. Noddyman Aug 4, 2018

Hi, welcome to OF,

This reference is quite common and there’s nothing unusual about this dial, hands and case configuration.

There are few slight issues that I can see.
    1.) The dial is showing slight patina (spotting) on the dial.
    2.) The seconds hand is going rusty (quite common).
    3.) The crown is a more recent replacement.
    4.) The rotors been rubbing on the case back at some time or other so may need attention.

I am nitpicking with the above and overall it doesn’t look a bad example, price is slightly high but not outrageous.
    Unless the seller has proof of a recent service it’s always worth factoring this into your costs.

4. Noddyman Aug 4, 2018

Polished I agree but I wouldn’t say over polished!

5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Aug 4, 2018

Brilliant - OVDB strikes again with a pic of a 14900/167.005 instead of a 168.005.

Agree with everything @Noddyman said.

I quite like this, the case is polished but I bet it looks better in real life and I suspect you wouldn’t notice the spotting except under a loupe.
    I don’t think $900 is too bad but don’t forget to add import taxes for wherever you are. (And servicing )

6. Braindrain Aug 4, 2018

Yeah, it's polished but if you can live with that (for a $900 price tag) it's a nice starter piece.

7. roryoc11 Aug 4, 2018

@kmd28 This looks a lot like one I have ref 14902-62. I have posted a pic below:

IMG_1209.JPG

I'll try and find the serial to compare it to yours.

8. kmd28 Aug 4, 2018

Is the rusty seconds hand going to cost a lot during servicing? would I need to find a spare part for this or would a competent watch repair shop be able to remove the rust? (Sorry, I have no previous experience with watch servicing)

Just to confirm, the rotor rubbing you're mentioning is the circular patterns in the case back right? What kind of fix is needed in this situation?

Also really glad it's not a frankenwatch, I like the slight patina of the dial actually. But it put me off a little that the price was a little high for its condition. Thanks for your thoughts on this!

9. kmd28 Aug 4, 2018

I always have a hard time recognizing polished/unpolished cases. Is this the part you're referring to? The bottom of the lugs?

I'm actually living in Japan right now, so shipping would just set me back about 10$. But on the downside, I think it'll be a lot more difficult to find an English speaking service shop here.

Thanks for the reply!

watch4_editted.png
  10. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Aug 4, 2018

Actually, with doglegs, it the upper facets and bezel which are most important.
    'Your' watch has just lost the crispness to the edges
    if you compare to @roryoc11 's
    but I'll repeat what I've said before, doglegs are difficult to photograph and even the crispest can look soft
    Screen Shot 2018-08-04 at 19.46.22.png Screen Shot 2018-08-04 at 19.47.14.png

Mossback likes this.
  11. kmd28 Aug 4, 2018

Ooh, so that's what you mean. Yeah, I agree it's difficult to see in pictures, to me, they look almost the same. :confused:. I'll look at more examples of dogleg lugs.

12. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Aug 4, 2018

Well, I happen to be wearing my cross-hair version for my flight home tonight from the land of sand.
    It’s really quite sharp but never looks so in pics.
    It also has a replacement crown (not original but it’s oh so much easier to wind)
    A57D8913-DC10-4434-9CC6-91E843BFE4E0.jpeg

Noddyman and Marty McDawg like this.
  13. Noddyman Aug 4, 2018

I expect a watchmaker with an Omega account would be able to source you a seconds hand. If not they do pop up on eBay from time to time.
    As you say the rotor rubbing can be seen on the case back and ever so slightly on the rotor.
    It’s all repairable but could get expensive depending on what needs replacing.

Here’s my sharpest example ...... with same rusty seconds hand!

2FDB96A4-7E00-47FB-BB55-B6DC69DD8F13.jpeg

Mossback, kmd28 and Peemacgee like this.
  14. S.H. Aug 4, 2018

rusty seconds hand : could be polished, but it won't exactly look new. I just serviced a connie like this one few weeks ago , the hands were far more rusty, I was able to keep them.
    rotor rubbing : this could mean the rotor post and/or the rotor bushing is worn, meaning it was not (or badly) serviced. This should not happen with regular service. Rotor bushing is readily available.

=> a good independent watchmaker can do all this

15. sevykor Aug 4, 2018

Polished it is but I think it still looks nice. Absolutely go independent route.

16. kmd28 Aug 5, 2018

Okay, I think I'll hold out on this one. I've only been looking for a month and I think the smart thing to do is wait and keep looking for better examples. I'm now more inclined to get mine from the private watch sales, as I think those will, in general, be in good state and recently serviced.

Thank you everyone for your time!