Forums Latest Members

First Universal - How to get a strap on with near zero clearance?

1. JamesTYO Feb 7, 2021

Isn't it always the ones you pick up on a sudden urge that cause you the most bother?

First venture away from vintage Omega and Seiko, picked up what I thought would be a fairly straightforward manual piece, but have run into an unforeseen snag...
    Now I have some small/tight lug vintage watches but never something like this with almost zero clearance for a strap and spring bars. As you can hopefully see from the attached pictures, there is barely a hairs width between the (not overly thick?) spring bars I have put in to illustrate and all efforts to put even the thinnest strap on have failed (yes, I also managed to bust the crystal trying too hard).

What would be the best solution here to get a strap on? Curved end strap and curved spring bars? Any other suggestions?

Also, does anyone know what on earth would this have come on originally?

Runs lovely though!

IMG_4844.jpeg IMG_4845.jpeg IMG_4846.jpeg
  2. Mazoue Feb 7, 2021

I suspect it came on a bracelet or mesh bracelet with curved end links.

You can find some examples if you search online for the case reference 'Universal Geneve 842111'.

You could probably fit a leather strap using some curved spring bars. You may not need the strap itself to have curved ends depending on the material/construction.

3. Carlton-Browne Feb 7, 2021

You just need to get some curved spring bars - you should be able to fit them to a strap with straight ends and the leather will adapt somewhat. I have at least one watch where I've done this. The one thing I'd caution is to store the watch either flat or on a watch roll - storing with the strap folded under the watch case will result in excessive rubbing which will show.

I'll see if I can find some pictures.

Larry S likes this.
  4. JamesTYO Feb 7, 2021

Thanks for the reply! I will give the curved spring bars a try and see what that does for the situation.

Understood on storage with the curved spring bars, definitely seems likely to be awkward.

I am guessing a generic acrylic crystal of the correct size would fit this, no particular tricky fitting mechanisms to be aware of?

Digging around it seems like it came on a bracelet, looks tight on the ebay pics and that would explain the marks on my one between the lugs too:

Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 21.03.31.png Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 21.02.28.png
    Kay995 likes this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 13, 2021

Yup curved bars.

6. JamesTYO Feb 22, 2021

Update - curved bars and a curved strap (in for a penny) did the job. Now to find a crystal to replace the one I bust that keeps the same or similar low profile... expect that will be a harder job!

Also seen here with another manual ultra slim, Seiko Goldfeather.

IMG_5057.jpeg IMG_5056.jpeg IMG_5055.jpeg
    Carlton-Browne, DaveK and bgrisso like this.
  7. bgrisso Feb 22, 2021

congrats, looks sharp