Forums Latest Members

First trip at the local fair

1. Hattrick Jan 1, 2017

Good morning and a Happy new year!
    Armed with two weeks of reading on OF , :) I went at the local fair for my first lesson . A reasonable 200£ is what i paid for this invaluable lesson . Hopefully, with your help i will learn from my mistakes. I did not find any speedy but my hopes weren't to high to be honest.
    I personally like every watch bought today and i will wear them.
    Thank you for reading 20170101_144325.jpg 20170101_144246.jpg 20170101_144208.jpg 20170101_144133.jpg 20170101_144047.jpg 20170101_143748.jpg

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 1, 2017

Can you post a caseback photo of the last one and the Oris :cautious:

Foo2rama and Hattrick like this.
  3. Hattrick Jan 1, 2017

I'll take any comments on any of them. 20170101_153021.jpg 14832846732941609427139.jpg

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 1, 2017

5. cristos71 Jan 1, 2017

I appreciate that everybody starts somewhere in this hobby but I am curious as to why after reading on this site for a couple of weeks you thought it a good idea to spend that E200 on 6 watches, instead of just trying to find one reasonable E200 (Omega?) watch. You will quickly find that buying multiple watches at this very low E30 - E100 price range is a dangerous sport as any kind of servicing or repair bill will probably come in at many times your original purchase price.

To get those 6 watches in perfect running order will conservatively probably cost upwards of E600. Now you will be in for E800 and with those E800 you could have bought just one, or maybe two, very nice vintage watches.

One key piece of advice given to newbies on OF is to have patience and to focus heavily on condition, perhaps by reading up and looking at hundreds of pictures of a certain reference and then starting the hunt. Without sounding disrespectful it looks like you have adopted more of a scatter gun approach.

6. Hattrick Jan 1, 2017

Thank you ,
    I just needed to get it out of my system.
    Now i am relaxed. Like i said, this was a lesson and i will learn from it. Everyone learns in a different way.

7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 1, 2017

I for one have to learn from experience....

Larry S, ahartfie, Jwit and 3 others like this.
  8. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jan 1, 2017

Out of interest, why did you buy the Sekonda? It seems to have some serious damage at the bottom of the case.
    The cornavin has a simple elegance though the top left lug appears damaged.
    And the Oris appears to be missing a second hand, though not all watches have them.
    I quite like the Seiko Sportsmatic, though the bracelet is awful and does not fit.

Hattrick likes this.
  9. Hattrick Jan 1, 2017

I liked the looks of the sekonda and for 5 pounds i couldn't resist. Cornavin , it is the first I've seen and i like ig because it's slim . Oris , is slim and about the seconds hand , i don't know what to say. I will try the sportsmatic on a different strap .
    I am learning as we speak :)))
    Thank you for your comments

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 1, 2017

Seiko,s are your safety net ;) maybe stick to them for a bit........

If the Cornavain is the second of the casebacks its fake, and got a feeling by the case and hands the Oris ( could be as well )

Hattrick likes this.
  11. Hattrick Jan 1, 2017

Yes, second photo is cornavin.

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 1, 2017

Larry S, Foo2rama and Hattrick like this.
  13. U5512 Jan 1, 2017

We all had to start from somewhere, and the OP is no exception....

GuiltyBoomerang and Hattrick like this.
  14. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jan 1, 2017

If yiu are going to buy cheap, do it on ebay...some great pieces

Hattrick likes this.
  15. GuiltyBoomerang Jan 1, 2017

Personally, I used to do what you did and buy a heap at local markets. Incidentally, I now share a stall and sell at the same markets. I find that, unless there's a serious collector out there, only 'known' names tend to get sold on a relatively frequent basis. Example - I had four Omegas in the case and they all got sold within a day. Put some Elgins, Walthams, Gruens - they took forever to clear.

Agree with @watchknut - ebay is the place to go for cheap things. Local auctions and gumtree will also work. There is also the off chance you'll bump into prices face-to-face that can't be beat or you find something that no-one else takes notice of. It takes knowledge, patience and sometimes a bit of luck to go your way.

Hattrick likes this.
  16. cristos71 Jan 1, 2017

Another good reason why, with hindsight, I would have perhaps begun in a more focused way. As the collecting bug takes hold and the amount of watches grows, many initial purchases will be re-evaluated and then rejected for their many issues, subsequently leading to sell offs in periodic culls. The first cull will always be the hardest as trying to recoup good money on this first round of causalities with their battered chrome plated cases, mis-matched hands, redials and scuffed gold plate can be quite a time consuming and harrowing experience. It certainly was for me anyway! :D
    The good news is as one moves up the watch food chain it should become easier and easier to sell them on as and when required.

Patience is the one that is hard to get completely under control, these days I probably reject many thousands of watches before making a purchase.

17. Just Livin Jan 1, 2017

Congrats!
    Learning on the cheap is way better than learning in a more expensive way.
    Your next step will be way more telling!
    Welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Edited Jan 1, 2017
    Vitezi, GuiltyBoomerang and Hattrick like this.
  18. Hattrick Jan 1, 2017

Thank you.
    Please don't encourage me :)

Vitezi likes this.
  19. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jan 1, 2017

I do sometimes wish I could take lessons learned from others in order to bypass the newb tax. I tend to pick and choose, as some things I am quick to pick up on, and others I ultimately figure out the hard way.

I very much appreciate those willing to share their knowledge and due to many of you I have an awesome watch collection.

I now find myself reducing my collection. It's driven by a couple of factors. It's so very expensive to properly maintain watches, and you don't really appreciate the costs until you actually start maintaining your watches correctly. And it's not all about cost, it's also very hard to find a competent watch maker. Second is wrist time. I literally have watches I have worn 2-3 times a year. This seems crazy to me.

I also find myself thinking only about Speedmasters (and no, I'm not saying this to troll ulackfocus). And with current speedy prices, this too is now a factor.

To the OP, sounds like your having fun and be sure to mix in a Speedmaster in that collection ;)

watchknut and Hattrick like this.
  20. Hattrick Jan 1, 2017

Speedmaster is what started this and only because i find it so hard to find a proper one i feel the need to compensate with something else while waiting. Cheap ones fulfilled that need for the moment.