Forums Latest Members

First Tre tacche hitting 20k US... Really ?

1. Fost Jan 14, 2018

Hi

You may know that I love tre tacche ( Even if I have to part with one to fund another longines incoming) but recently I had some discussion with people thinking the price for those watches ( the 35mm ones) is overrated (typically in the 10-16 US range depending your luck and where you buy it). I understand and I was myself very surprised to see how high those watches went over the last 2-3 years. But today, a limit had been reach with this one, asking 20k US.
    IMG_5991.PNG

I know it is from a.watch dealer and I know that asking price is not Selling price but I think this becomes really ridiculous... I am quite sure it will not sell at this price but don't you think the vintage market is becoming out of control?
    I noted that longines is one the most exposed brand for very very large market price as well... Same ref can sold for twice the price of other one sometimes without any real explanation...

Maybe i am becoming old but all this speculation kill more and more the fun in this passion...

2. bubba48 Jan 14, 2018

As long as there are people who buy, the prices will tend to go up. It's already happened for Rolex and now it's happening for other brands too.
    BTW that watch has nothing to justify that price.

Mark020, Kmart, Syrte and 2 others like this.
  3. Vanallard Jan 14, 2018

Agreed - there seem to be certain models that are not overly rare or unique (mechanically/aesthetically) that command very high prices.

Fost likes this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 14, 2018

The sharp rise is values of vintage watches has mainly been driven by fashion. So, if one is willing to pay increasingly high premiums for models that are in particular demand, that is fine. But it is also, in a sense, quite silly that such watches often command two or three (or more) times the price of high-class chronometers, and far more than very similar watches (of roughly equivalent quality) produced by less fashionable brands.

I personally would find even half the price of the subject watch to be ludicrous.

Mods, Dgercp, tmw57 and 5 others like this.
  5. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Jan 14, 2018

Japanese market for vintage and Longines in particular often 2x; take for example the DH sold on same site for nearly 5k.

Mark020, Syrte and Fost like this.
  6. dodo44 Jan 14, 2018

A DH at 5k is 5 times the market price. For the Tre Tacche, 20k/5=4k. That's about right. Also, the lume on their watch does not look quite right.

ARP488 and Fost like this.
  7. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jan 14, 2018

Asking price doesn't mean selling price.

Fost likes this.
  8. dmgreen11 Jan 14, 2018

I have seen a number of larger TTs sell at north of $20k, and some well beyond. Seems that the market for nice vintage - be it Omega, Movado or any number of other brands - has risen quite a bit in recent years. Still plenty of reasonably priced vintage timepieces out there though......

Fost likes this.
  9. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jan 14, 2018

and you know a thing or two about the market :thumbsup:

One sold for $25k in December, a NOS example. Crazyness...and wait until Goldberger's book comes out.

ARP488, Mark020 and Fost like this.
  10. dodo44 Jan 14, 2018

The soufflé is slowly rising.

Fost likes this.
  11. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jan 14, 2018

I couldn't give my shitty example away...only the great examples bring any money.

Mark020, Fost and dodo44 like this.
  12. Gstp Jan 15, 2018

If it's in Japan it is. Been there several times and visited vintage watch dealers, you can't haggle, a price is a price. And all they have is overpriced in my view. But they didn't seem to care what I thought :D

In November 17 I saw vintage watches and wacth dealer with stands inside some of the hippest fashion stores in Tokyo - dealing in new and vintage clothing, and some wacthes and retro stuff, it's all about fashion and price is not of any great importance to many of their customers.

Fost likes this.
  13. Seiji Jan 15, 2018

No one negotiates in Japan except at Akihabara and Bic Camera or Yodobashi Camera (computers and new watches). Ginza and Aoyama areas I don't think you get much in terms of discount except duty free. Jack/Betty Roads and others basically come to USA and Europe to buy and sell in Japan. Buy high and sell higher. Poor gauge of current USA prices anyways.

dodo44 likes this.
  14. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 15, 2018

Prices will only rise if there are people willing to pay.

And most traders by definition are “overpriced” or rather, they are in a different market segment. I think the reasons are clear to everyone.

Edited Jan 15, 2018
  15. Dgercp Jan 15, 2018

Not many vintage brands left that are not overhyped, overpriced, overfaked, overdoctored.
    The golden days of vintage watch collecting may be over. I need a zoloft :(.

16. Seiji Jan 15, 2018

I consider ourselves to be in the "Golden Age" at the height of it. Prices keep going up like there is no end.
    Every time there is Tax Reform, watches change owners. Either too broke to keep them, or so rich want a
    more elusive watch.

17. Dgercp Jan 15, 2018

I suppose, but to me the height of it means the end.

18. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 15, 2018

Everything is always relative.
    Someone’s Golden Age is always someone else’s decadence.

dodo44 and bubba48 like this.
  19. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 15, 2018

Invicta?
    Just kidding.....

20. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 15, 2018

I’m hitting the brakes. This has gotten out of hand.

Tony C. and Mark020 like this.