Forums Latest Members
  1. Gb2cv Mar 6, 2018

Hi to all. I have a few questions to which you can simply answer Yes or No to make life easier though any explanations advice in addition would be welcomed! (Referring to solid gold watches). Thank you in advance.

I've learnt from an answer in the forum here that Longines Flagship does not always have the ship on the back; is this also the case for Omega Seamaster?

Are online dealers (not Ebay) reputable? Without naming names I have my eye on some watches being sold which look good but as I am lacking in knowledge I'm nervous about splashing out on the basis of a few photos even though they do offer 14 day refund.

Are there any non-online locations/stores with a decent selection of Omegas or Longines?

Dials described as "fully restored" - should I be wary? See photos below..

upload_2018-3-6_18-4-57.png

upload_2018-3-6_18-5-17.png

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  2. Gb2cv Mar 6, 2018

Should mention I am in the UK :)

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 6, 2018

Hi and welcome.

Dials described as "fully restored" - should I be wary? - Yes, this means they are refinished and should be avoided since this greatly hurts value.

Not all Seamasters have the famous logo on the back.

You are wise to ask questions here first.

Best advise I can give is be patient, learn a little or a lot here first.

4. Gb2cv Mar 7, 2018

Thanks for the reply on the seamaster back logo.
    With regard to dials, what pointers can you give on the images I posted to identify any issues please? I've seen the posts on bad redials but these don't look anything like any on there to my untrained eye.
    Ta!

5. Seacow Mar 7, 2018

I recommend read as many info as possible before any purchases. Compare collector's and big auction house pictures with the watch you want to buy. And just want point out this vintage watch game is a bit like mine field now due to lack of supply and high demand. High value is the driver for a lot of people to use parts put together a watch or even counterfeit.

But anyway, it's all part of the game. Happy hunting!

Jerseyhammer likes this.
  6. omegastar Mar 7, 2018

The first giveaway for redials is the A in Swiss Made. The point of the A should be cut like in your first example.

felsby likes this.
  7. Screwbacks Mar 7, 2018

how much?

8. Gb2cv Mar 7, 2018

Screwbacks: Seamaster de Ville £1500 gbp (14K gold); the Omega Automatic is £1650 gbp (18K gold)

9. Noddyman Mar 7, 2018

Both watches are way too expensive, especially considering they are restored dials. The seller of the Seamaster De Ville sometimes sells decent stuff but his prices are always 2 or 3 times what they should be.

10. Jerseyhammer Mar 7, 2018

Good advice

11. tyrantlizardrex Mar 7, 2018

Where in the uk are you based @Gb2cv ?

12. Screwbacks Mar 7, 2018

for that price, it's too high. you are buying gold. best alternative is look for a piepan 561.

13. Gb2cv Mar 7, 2018

Essex/Suffolk border. Not much happens here ::yawn::

14. Gb2cv Mar 7, 2018

Really? Are you saying I can find a Solid gold cased Omega seamaster De Ville automatic for £500-£750 GBP? I'd be happy to see some!

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 7, 2018

They do come up over time.

The main thing you will learn over time here is not to pay top $ for restored or redialed watches. ( from dealers especially )
    You want to pay top $ for the right original untouched watch.

16. propervinyl Mar 7, 2018

Best advice I can give - wait. The more time you spend here, the more informed a decision you will make.

Some seriously talented collectors have replied to your post. Hang around here for a few months, watch what they say, and you will be armed with the knowledge to buy some very nice watches.

Looneytoons and Gb2cv like this.
  17. Gb2cv Mar 7, 2018

Thanks for the input. As a dealer and collector in ceramics and vinyl records I am very prudent in my research and extremely patient for the right pieces. I have learnt that handling and seeing in the flesh is an experience that is second to none and condition is paramount. As yet finding any vintage watches has been very difficult. I'm not keen to buy from a photo but in my area apart form London (and London retail prices!) there isn't much option.
    That said I am sure there are very reputable sellers - a few pointers in private message would be very welcomed (and also those to avoid!)
    Cheers :)

18. Screwbacks Mar 8, 2018

as a non-seller collector, i have the same model in stainless steel before, except for the gold material.
    what attracted me to this watch is the perfect quadrant dial with no day-date window. it cost me only
    200 bucks.

19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 8, 2018

Get to know what good looks like here. Then be patient as you apply what you learn to the market. Search function works great and there is always discussion. “Learn How To Fish” .... good place to start. Leverage the OF hive mind when considering a watch but come with your own POV based on your research. Also to be very honest OF is one of the safest places to buy.

propervinyl likes this.
  20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 8, 2018

Something like this is worth a thought $450 US I picked this up for.

SS but Gold markers, service and a crystal well within budget for most image.jpeg

image.jpeg