Forums Latest Members

First Time Vintage Omega Buyer - Seamaster 120 (Advice Please)

1. J_Berg Apr 4, 2018

Hi, I'm new to this and just bought my first Omega Vintage watch. I have searched the internet to try and find another like it but with difficulty, leaving me slightly concerned. It has a Seamaster 120 dial, cal 601 but the ref# on the inside of the case back matches the Geneve, I believe. Is it possible that either the case back or dial has been replaced at some point? Also, do the hands look original? I also haven't seen any other 120 models with numbers.

I appreciate any advice you can give.

Cheers,

John

IMG_3948.PNG IMG_3947.PNG IMG_3946.PNG IMG_3945.PNG IMG_3944.PNG IMG_3949 (1).PNG
    Edited Apr 4, 2018
  2. ConElPueblo Apr 4, 2018

That is a complete hack job. Don't walk away, run!

NOTSHARP and Lucasssssss like this.
  3. Shabbaz Apr 4, 2018

Hi John,

Thanks for posting your watch. You are right there are some issues with the watch. Caseback belongs to a geneve, the case belongs to another modelnumber and the dial is terrible. It's a redial.

4. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Apr 4, 2018

That dial hurts my eyes...

justinz and turbo_muc like this.
  5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 4, 2018

Already bought it, according to the OP. Here's the proper buying sequence: Educate, Educate, Educate; Ask questions; Buy.

bardamu likes this.
  6. Shabbaz Apr 4, 2018

Can you return it?

7. ConElPueblo Apr 4, 2018

Oh, didn't see that - too bad :(

8. cimo Apr 4, 2018

Hello,

Welcome to the forum. I am afraid it is unlikely that is the original dial for this watch. The hands I am less certain, but if the dial has been replaced or repainted, there is a good chance the hands have been as well. A cursory search also turns up that the reference number on the case back likely does not match the case.

The good news is the movement looks to be in decent shape.

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 4, 2018

For what reason? Unless the listing has the watch as all original, the "I didn't do my homework so it's the seller's fault" excuse doesn't fly?

10. J_Berg Apr 4, 2018

I guess this is the harsher way of learning from your mistakes. I'll definitely be a lot more careful 2nd time around. On the plus side, with all the research after buying this, I believe I've gained some knowledge.

Thanks!

11. J_Berg Apr 4, 2018

I had no intention of pal

ChrisN likes this.
  12. Shabbaz Apr 4, 2018

Good luck John. For next time. Just start with the modelnumber in the caseback and work with that. Compare dials with the same modelnumber and look what caliber belongs to the watch and which referencenumber. If any doubt just ask here. People will help you. Everybody started out like this. I have still nightmares about my first omega ...

bardamu and J_Berg like this.
  13. J_Berg Apr 4, 2018

Thank you very much! Greatly appreciated.

14. Shabbaz Apr 4, 2018

By the way. Here is one of mine seamaster 120's. It's always nice to abuse somebody else his thread to post your own watches... ;)

20170921_173224.jpg
    J_Berg likes this.
  15. Edward53 Apr 4, 2018

Be aware that a lot of fake "NOS" Seamaster 120s are about that are hard to tell from the genuine one above. It's a minefield best avoided by the inexperienced without guidance.

16. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 4, 2018

Hang on, I don’t see where the listing was mentioned so how do we know? If there are any kinds of claims about originality or even specific model here I would think the buyer does have cause and what’s more eBay would routinely side with buyer. A franken is not far removed from a fake after all.

17. Lucasssssss Apr 4, 2018

Unfortunatley, it does. I believe in the EU the Distance Selling Regulations apply, which provide for a 14 day return period. https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refunds (Of course this is as long as the watch was purchased in the EU)

18. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 4, 2018

Not for person to person eBay purchases but as I say above there is a good chance eBay would enforce a return on a Bitsa like this and I think the buyer would be morally justified in asking for it. Buyer ignorance doesn’t absolve the seller of responsibility to disclose fully and sell legitamate goods.

19. Lucasssssss Apr 4, 2018

You are right, that these do not apply to private transactions, but 1) the OP never said he purchased it on eBay and 2) if this was purchased on eBay I would bet pennies to the pound that it was not in a 'private sale' but one with a dealer on eBay. I would also back the buyer in a dispute of this kind on eBay.

By way of an asside, it is not quite as clear cut as being a 'business seller' or not. Although the Distance Selling Regulations don't apply to private sales, it is also an offence to misrepresent yourself as a private individual when you are in fact a business (as per the consumer protection from unfair trading act, implementing the EU Unfair Commercial Practices Directive). This drags in a raft of questions as to what exactly a business on eBay is?

20. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 4, 2018

Good point. I followed on from the post I replied to which mentioned 'listing' in the same vein. Perhaps the OP might like to enlighten us with where he sourced it?

Lucasssssss likes this.