Forums Latest Members
  1. Excalious Apr 16, 2019

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a vintage Omega for the first time, which would be my first 'expensive' watch.

It's a 168.005 cal. 564. The only thing that stands out to me as a potential issue on the dial would be that the "Swiss Made" words by the 6 o'clock do not look quite symmetrical. "Made" appears to be further from the marker.

It looks to have the proper decagon crown as well. Though the omega stamp is not quite visible.

The real concern is the movement. There is quite a bit of black material (dust, rust?) on 3 of the gears (pardon my lack of technical knowledge here), even though the rest of the movement is pretty clean. Is this a sign of damage, or would a service address it?

Lastly, what do you think of the asking price of $1500?

Thank you

Dial.jpg Dial2.jpg Dial3.jpg Dial4.jpg Dial5.jpg
  2. Shabbaz Apr 17, 2019

Dial looks good to me. Service is needed. Looks like rotor rub, etc. $ 1500 with BOR is ok-ish. Tiny bit on the high side for this example. But it's difficult to find one cheaper.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 17, 2019

Crown is well worn down to steel.( needs replacing )
    I would want lug shots and the first photo as clear as the movement shots to make sure no other wear on gold before anything else is considered.

felsby likes this.
  4. Excalious Apr 17, 2019

Thanks guys, very informative. I asked for follow-ups shots on the crown and lugs to look at the wear more carefully.

Regarding the rotor, the seller stated that the watch was actually recently serviced. I'm not sure what to make of this. I've never even seen black smudges like this on any listing before period. If they remained like that after a service, it doesn't looks like a solvable problem. If there was no service at all, the seller would appear to be misleading. Has anyone seen these kinds of smudges before?

Dial4.jpg
  5. Shabbaz Apr 17, 2019

I cant believe this watch was serviced recently.

KingCrouchy and ChrisN like this.
  6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 17, 2019

I wouldn't trust a watchmaker that didn't replace the case back gasket as part of a service.

kkt, KingCrouchy, BenBagbag and 2 others like this.
  7. TexOmega Apr 18, 2019

Recently serviced but the microregulator is still pegged? And the original yellow gasket is still in place? And crud?

KingCrouchy likes this.
  8. Excalious Apr 18, 2019

Thanks. So consensus is needs service. I got the price down to 1300. What do you guys think about that for the condition?

9. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 18, 2019

How about the color of hands? They look pinkish and the furniture looks yellowish on my phone.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  10. ConElPueblo Apr 18, 2019

Very common on Constellations. I've had two with light pink hands and gold dial furniture and seen several for sale with the same combination.

EDIT: I recall them being a bit lighter in the pink tone than this one, but that may be due to lighting... Or these actually having been replaced :p

EDIT EDIT(!): I've looked at my old examples again and they are a good deal less pink than I remembered... @hoipolloi looks to be on the money - again - on this matter. How's that for massive backpedalling? :D

Edited Apr 18, 2019
    KingCrouchy and TexOmega like this.
  11. Shabbaz Apr 18, 2019

BOR is worth between $ 100/200 so $ 1100 for a pie pan. According to my converter you're paying EUR 979,00 for a pie pan. Not bad in my book... Between EUR 200 and 400 for a service and you got yourself a connie that's good to go for years. Personally I would not pay it for this piece, but I could understand that somebody will. So I say, go...

12. TexOmega Apr 18, 2019

also, Severe rotor wear, so add a BIG unknown to service cost, may have to buy a donor.

If it was a big arrowhead dial, and a bit less soft on the line angles, I'd be a bit more inclined.

I say, pass and pounce on a better example with less headaches.

Your welcome, now you have a yes, a no, a maybe...….

Are you glad you posted now?:D