Forums Latest Members
  1. Cosd May 29, 2017

Hi Guys
    Hopefully I don't get lynched for a stupid post, but I need some advice if I may.

I want to post a watch I want to put up for sale and I want to do the best I can, obviously for myself, but also wanting to ensure the buyer is happy with the transaction when he receives it. Wanting to be around long term, I wouldn't want to inadvertently screw up my reputation on my first transaction.

The watch is a Seamaster 300m automatic blue face with sword hands.

My first question is what is the best way to price it? Do I use something like Chrono24 or an auction site like EBay for comparisons? I want to price the watch to sell.

Second question is, can someone tell me who to use for posting and a rough cost if buyer is in UK?

Are there any other tips can you give me on selling a watch on a forum? I e sold loads of various things on eBay over the years, but obviously a forum is much more personal so I want to get it right if that makes sense.

Cos

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 29, 2017

Best place for checking price would be SOLD listings on eBay.

propervinyl likes this.
  3. w154 May 29, 2017

If you want to price it fairly (and price it to sell), then I would first work out how much it would sell for on eBay, then take 5-10% further off as that's roughly half what you'll save on eBay selling fees. That seems a fair way for a forum to work, buyer and seller share the savings. Buyer pays a little less, seller gets a little more, and eBay gets nothing. Everyone's a winner :thumbsup:

Euxinus and semper_shells like this.
  4. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. May 29, 2017

The description of the watch and its condition, is imo, as important as the price. Consider checking out the for sale listings here and see which one(s) you like and use those as a template for yours. Lots of details and good photos and your watch will sell quickly. Good luck.

sxl2004 likes this.
  5. Euxinus May 29, 2017

The above tips are deffinitly must dos. Also I would suggest, point out any flaws in the watch and present photos that capture said flaws. Scratch on the dial? Point it out. A significant dent, point it out with words and show it. This way you will avoid people trying to return a watch as it was not misrepresented. I find this also makes the ad more professional and as a buyer it makes buying a watch that much easier if the flaws are pointed out as there is less second guessing ( no rolling around in bed at night wondering if the sellers pictures are hiding something by using creative angles ).

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 29, 2017

Parcel Pro insured for international shipments.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 29, 2017

Also bank wire or PP F&F for payment.

8. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 29, 2017

If you are in the UK, there are very few carriers who will insure watches. When I lived there (up until 9 months ago) I used to have to use DHL to send watches for service but even they have a limit on the value but I can't remember what it is.

9. Edwinowl May 30, 2017

Not that it's your issue but buyer in UK would have customs import duty to pay which can significantly affect a sale from US which I'm assuming you are. Also exchange rate is also a big issue to be considered.

10. Cosd May 30, 2017

I'm in the UK.......

Would be a little suspicious if I was in the States and only wanting to sell overseas :)

11. Edwinowl May 31, 2017

Aah sorry it wasn't that clear my friend.
    I use post office next day special delivery insured up to £2500 cost a tenner.

12. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 31, 2017

The Post Office will take your money but their conditions specifically exclude watches. Most of the counter staff don't know this so they will not point it out to you.

13. kreyke May 31, 2017

14. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 31, 2017

Damn. Did it really take me emigrating for Royal Mail to join the 21st century.

wristpirate and ConElPueblo like this.
  15. kreyke Jun 1, 2017

Thanks for your valiant sacrifice. I'll post my watches in memory of you.

16. Edwinowl Jun 1, 2017

That's interesting as I've used this service for years and so have people I've used for repair /service I.e businesses. I'll ask next time and get some t and c's

17. Cosd Jun 1, 2017

Thanks for all the help guys.
    My sale post is up now, I have an interested party who has stated he will take it, now waiting confirmation.

Hopefully this thread helps other newbies also.

Cos

18. Dogmann Jun 1, 2017

Hi all
    Like many here I was also under the impression that even RMSD did not cover insuring watches over £250 and if you look at the link posted by kreyke it states,
    • watches - the cases of which are made wholly or mainly of precious metal
    So not sure just what would happen with a watch that is made of Stainless steel or Titanium and not gold or Platinum and after a watch goes missing is an expensive time to discover what you thought is true and actually is true are different.

I have even had this discussion with Watchfinder as they send out and receive their watches via RMSD and at the time I pointed out I was not comfortable either sending or receiving a watch that was being sent uninsured but they claimed issue of loss was so negligible it didn't matter which is true until it does IMO. Hope someone can get a definitive answer.

Marc