Forums Latest Members

First time Omega owner with maintenance question!

1. inane2 Jan 7, 2014

Good afternoon everyone.

New member here with a question about my Omega watch (Midsize Seamaster Quartz #2223.80.00). The second hand began acting (what I thought) was erratic but was keeping perfect time. Some quick internet “research” revealed that as being an indicator for a low battery. I received the watch for Christmas 2009.

I’m here in Kentucky and no one will even touch this watch. One of our biggest jewelers offered to send it to Omega for me for $50. This is shipping both ways and insurance. They would call me with an estimate from Omega.

I have no problem sending this back to Omega for the battery replacement. Just a few questions:

1. Is there anything else I should have them do, maintenance-wise?
    2. According to Omega’s website, my nearest boutiques are New York City and Florida with a repair center in New Jersey. Can it go to any of these?
    3. I found a price list for common services. Any idea what a battery replacement would cost?
    4. Would you send it yourself or use the outside jeweler I mentioned?

This is a nice timepiece and I'm not going to cheap out on it, just need a little guidance from the veteran and resident Omega owners here on the forum!

Thanks for any info! :)

2. ulackfocus Jan 7, 2014

Oh God, don't send it to Omega! Even if it's only a simple battery change and pressure test they'll want to charge you for a complete overhaul that costs hundreds and hundreds.

We have Archer (Al) and N2FHL (Steve) that are both more than qualified to do the work for a fraction of the cost.

3. inane2 Jan 7, 2014

ulackfocus, thanks for the timely reply! I'd be more than glad to use the services of other forum members. Omega's price sheet concerned me a bit. The watch is in great shape, just needs a battery.

Anything other than the battery replacement and pressure test you'd recommend?