Forums Latest Members

First Time Omega / Mechanical Watch Owner - Decisions!

1. Wools Oct 17, 2016

I've always loved watches throughout my life but have owned rather more humble timepieces than some posters here may have done! However, I still took pride in them, owning multiple Seiko's but recently I've realised that I'm lucky enough to be able to afford something nicer.

Earlier this year I treated myself to my first ever Swiss watch, a Tag Heuer F1 McLaren Special Edition. As a lifelong fan of Formula 1, the Tag F1 has always been my yardstick for watches and I used to pretend one of my first ever Quartz watches was an F1! It's been my pride and joy owning this and 6 months after owning it, I paid off the watch and that was that. However, I've realised owning the Tag has ignited something in me and as I'm still doing alright for myself, I want to treat myself to my other object of Horology desire, an Omega Seamaster in blue... As a kid from a working class family, I still have to pinch myself I'm even considering I can buy one!

So after a few weeks of umming and ahhing, I went to Beaverbrooks here in the UK on Saturday to take a look at a Seamaster in the flesh and try one on for size.

I knew I wanted a brand new, current Seamaster but it was just a choice between a black or blue face. Seeing one close up for the first time in my life was astounding. They're so much more discrete and small than you expect them to be, simple, elegant and everything feels so well made.

Having had 6 months or so to think about my next purchase after getting my Tag Heuer F1, I thought as the price is so ridiculous and the choice so vast, I should let my heart overrule my head and go for watches that mean something to me. I always loved F1 and wanted a Tag Heuer F1 since they were released so brought the modern incarnation. Also, I've always loved Bond and that Film series introduced me to watches with the Rolex Submariner but the modern incarnation of Bond (My first adult Cinema visit was to see GoldenEye) has always worn an Omega Seamaster and that's what my heart is telling me to buy...

But whilst I was trying out the 2 Seamaster's, I tried on a Planet Ocean and was rather enticed. It looks beautiful just like the Seamaster but the Planet Ocean has a lot more bold design going on and with a clear case back it blew my skirt up just a little bit...

I left the shop empty handed as I knew I was conflicted what side to fall down on. I think the black Seamaster has been cast aside as although it looks classic, the blue not only has the Bond connection but drew my eye a lot more when they were side by side. The Planet Ocean is eye catching but massive, heavy but has some beautiful, bold detailing that I really like.

The blue dial Seamaster is perfect in my eyes. It's the watch I've always lusted after the Tag F1 and is eye catching but still formal. I'm thinking I might buy this Seamaster in January 2017 and then my 2 dream watches will be mine and I'll have no regrets. However, if I'm still enjoying the Seamaster in 2 years time when I've paid it off, I might pick up the Planet Ocean!

So, as someone who has always dreamed of owning a Seamaster but has never owned a mechanical watch before, never owned an Omega and is having a crisis about laying money down on a Planet Ocean instead, what does everyone think I should buy?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Oct 17, 2016
    flw, Halldawg and STANDY like this.
  2. japester79 Oct 17, 2016

Like you I was after a seamaster for an age.
    I already have a vintage omega and a speedy pro so not my first foray into Omega.
    Like you I tried on a PO xl.
    Yes it's big, yes it's heavy and yes, it's gorgeous. Could I justify the extra spend... Well...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love it. It's not been off my wrist!

SmokyT, ahartfie and Wools like this.
  3. Wools Oct 17, 2016

I love that variant of the Planet Ocean with the orange 12, 6 and 9. Prefer that over the PO that has no colour, makes it eye catching without resorting to a full orange bezel.

ohmzx likes this.
  4. tyrantlizardrex Oct 17, 2016

5. Pakiwi Oct 17, 2016

I think you have what many new owners have including me. We like what we have and would like to add another to the mix. So we look at the models available and they mostly all look great. Just try and pick a horrible model and I don't think it exists. And so we are left with models that are great all the way through to I can't wait to get that on my wrist and will be the last watch I own.
    I have about a dozen models I would buy. Also being around here opens you up to alot more models including vintage.
    I like the PO but then again the white AT with blue highlights is stunning and then the Tintin or in the vintage a Railmaster.
    Sigh, Goodluck with your next one.

flw, VillageIdiot and Wools like this.
  6. Scepticalist Oct 17, 2016

The black Seamaster for me. As a do-everything daily watch it's fantastic value and hard to beat. Get the one that speaks to you - there isn't a bad choice there :)

Wools likes this.
  7. alam Oct 17, 2016

:thumbsup: We all need a blue dial in the mix, therefor the blue SMP would be my choice!

kurtj29 and Wools like this.
  8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 17, 2016

Take @alam's advice and go blue but with @tyrantlizardrex's recommendation. The sword hands on the 2255.80 are far more appealing, in my view.

mozartman likes this.
  9. lillatroll Oct 17, 2016

Don't worry about the price thingy, it's a bit like buying anything expensive. Once you have put the deposit down and actually buy the watch you won't worry about the price issue because you like the product so much. Buying an in-between watch will probably end up being a bit of a disappointment if you really want the planet ocean. I went to buy a PO and came out with an SM300 because I loved it straight away. I don't think I would have been satisfied with anything else. If a watch really speaks to you then that is the one for you.

e46rj and Wools like this.
  10. Wools Oct 17, 2016

Thanks for all the thoughts and impressions!

That's a good idea but I'm very attached to the new look of the 2016 era Seamasters / Planet Oceans and I've never really brought second hand, always preferring to go new so you get the warranty, peace of mind and the idea that the watch is yours from new. You do pay a hefty price though!

As @efauser mentions, it seems like the skelton hands are quite divisive in the Omega community. What is it about those particular hands that you aren't keen on? I really like them myself but appreciate Omega were dramatic in the design change so can understand some people not liking that particular element.

I can already see where I'm going with watches. The Tag Heuer F1 was my childhood dream along with the Omega Seamaster 300M (Probably in blue?!) A few years from now if work is still going well, it'll defiantly be another Omega; Either the Planet Ocean or the Speedmaster Co-Axal. After that, probably a Rolex Daytona if I'm still in the mood for a Chronograph.

This hobby is a bottomless pit isn't it?! :)

Edited Oct 17, 2016
  11. meganfox17 Oct 17, 2016

[​IMG]

12. Wools Oct 17, 2016

meganfox17 likes this.
  13. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 17, 2016

It really is a matter of taste. I always thought they made the watch look cheap but, again, it's strictly a matter of taste.

14. tyrantlizardrex Oct 17, 2016

To me, the sword hands, and the three link bracelets, just make for a really clean watch.

No need to fear modern used... you can get it serviced by omega and get a2 year warranty... ;)

Mouse_at_Large likes this.
  15. Mario89 Oct 17, 2016

I bought a black Seamaster Diver earlier this year, having also loved the Bond films, especially Goldeneye as a kid, it was a watch i always wanted. I got black because i'm not too keen on the blue Omega uses..

No regrets here though, it's an excellent watch which goes with me everywhere no matter what i'm doing.

13007291_10156816519470425_7523651218630202319_n.jpg

SmokyT, ahartfie, flw and 3 others like this.
  16. nick123 Oct 17, 2016

I recently bought my first real watch - the blue Omega Seamaster. Couldn't be happier.

Check out http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk instead of buying from an AD. Should save you a few bob.

17. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 17, 2016

As noted above, the pre-co-ax sword hands models are the peak of recent Seamaster style IMO, the 2255 and 2254 are wonderful. When they changed the dial away from the wave effect they threw the baby out with the bath water. Ceramic bezels are nice but 18K gold as per the 2833.50.91 is nicer still.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then you have the PO 2201.50 which is pure class. The latest models don't cut it for me:

[​IMG]

kurtj29 and SmokyT like this.
  18. Dombo63 Oct 17, 2016

If it were me I'd go with the second one from the left, the black Seamaster. PO is too big, for me, and the blue Seamaster is too James Bondy.

19. ohmzx Oct 17, 2016

I would
    agree times 10.

I would vote for PO any days. Too many people have the blue seamaster. Also the PO is the great alternative of a Rolex sub IMO. I myself confuses between getting a PO or moonwatxh as well. I haven't made a decision yet!!!

20. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Oct 17, 2016

Truer words were never spoken - better advice was never giveren ... :D

kurtj29 likes this.