Forums Latest Members

First Time Experience with Quick Release Straps

1. haqq777 Oct 14, 2018

Hi everyone,

Trying to figure out what I am doing wrong or if this is something pretty common with quick release straps.

I recently ordered a few NATO and other kinds of straps from Clockwork Synergy (great straps btw) and this one was a leather one from their 'Gentleman Collection' for my Tissot that I haven't worn in a while. The Tissot came with a bracelet but I wanted to swap for brown leather. Now when I wear the Tissot with these straps, I can see the quick release tab popping up when I glance at the watch every time. It isn't touching the case but it shows.

Picture here:
    [​IMG]

Is there something I am doing wrong? Or is this pretty standard with quick release kind of straps? Should I swap out hairspring bars with normal ones? Definitely not liking it. Had I known about this I would have opted for standard straps.

Thanks for any feedback.

thelinendial and superfly like this.
  2. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Oct 14, 2018

It’s the same with all my quick release straps. I learn to ignore it for the most part. I occasionally edit it out in photos. Be careful removing the spring bar is you decide to, it’s very easy to damage the strap

haqq777 likes this.
  3. haqq777 Oct 14, 2018

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 14, 2018

Honestly I’m not a fan. Search here for removing quick release spring bars. I’ve had two failures that could have been catastrophic had I not reacted quickly. The convenience is not worth the risk.

merchandiser, marco, 89-0 and 2 others like this.
  5. haqq777 Oct 14, 2018

Thanks, will read up on the thread you mentioned. I completely agree. I just might replace them for standard ones as I just find the tab showing to be very annoying.

6. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Oct 14, 2018

I do wonder how the higher end straps with quick release hold up. I’ve never owned a strap with them over $50 but I know to VERY high end brands use them too.

thelinendial likes this.
  7. Lovewatches2 Oct 14, 2018

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I have used the qr wrist band with my Tudor, Seiko & Eternamatic and have no problem whatsoever. IMO, if you have the correct spring bar (come with the qr band), there wouldn't be any problem of loosing the watch in the gutter. I used Burton qr bands ( not affiliated with them) just expressing my good experience with their qr. On the other hand, I've had an issue with my vintage Omega, the qr spring bar diameter is a tad larger and the pin won't go all the way in the lug hole, I just use the orig spring bar with it.

superfly likes this.
  8. haqq777 Oct 14, 2018

To be honest, the straps are secured well and I dont think they will come out or anything like that in my Tissot above - atleast for now. I guess my real issue is just with tabs showing between lugs everytime I glance at my wrist. Destroys the 'aesthetics' for me :(. Wanted to see how others felt about it and dealt with it (like a way around that etc). I might have to just swap strap completely to standard straps as I just dont like my watch with two metal heads showing everytime I glance at it - and I glance a lot lol

thelinendial likes this.
  9. Lovewatches2 Oct 14, 2018

As you would see in my photos, the tabs that you're talking about are built at the middle of the spring bars that's why they will not show where it's showing on your pics. Did you get yours from Burton? If so, you should be able to return it to them with no hassle or give you a replacement/refund or solve the prob when you show them the pic, their customer service is just great!

superfly likes this.
  10. haqq777 Oct 14, 2018

Actually my tabs are exactly at the same spot yours are in your pictures. Can you take a picture from top like I have? Like a wrist shot. Your wrist picture is at an angle and I can't tell how yours looks like looking at watch from straight up. Mine are not Burton. They are from Clockwork Synergy, which is well liked here on OF as per my little bit of research.

11. Lovewatches2 Oct 14, 2018

Photos of my eternamatic & Tudor from top. image.jpeg image.jpeg

haqq777 likes this.
  12. Lovewatches2 Oct 14, 2018

superfly likes this.
  13. Lovewatches2 Oct 14, 2018

I could provide you a wrist photos, but I have to wait for my wife for her to take pics LOL!

haqq777 likes this.
  14. haqq777 Oct 14, 2018

Thanks, your watches are gorgeous btw. The reason I asked for wrist shot is because when strap is on wrist it is curving thereby bringing tab from underside up closer to case. If you see my picture in very first post, tab clearly shows on wrist between lug and case. It doesn't show when watch is flat on its back.

15. haqq777 Oct 14, 2018

Sorry for not being so clear. Just to clarify, I just took two pictures. One is where watch is lying flat. In that position, tabs are not visible and all is fine. But then as you see in second picture, strap is horizontal to the table and tab is showing. You saw the wrist shot above as well. That is why I was just curious for your wrist shot.

20181014_221646.jpg 20181014_221629.jpg
  16. Lovewatches2 Oct 14, 2018

image.jpeg
    Thanks for the compliments! Here's another qr from OF Veblinist I purchased for my Kon Tiki. You'll notice that they were all (tabs) pointing straight up when laid flat. I have a feeling the one you have is not done correct (the slot).

haqq777 likes this.
  17. haqq777 Oct 14, 2018

I read some great reviews for Veblinist straps here on OF. Have seen his FS posts as well. Great work.

Anyway, here as you can see, tabs are pointing straight up, just as yours, as I lay it flat.

20181014_222443.jpg 20181014_222859.jpg
  18. Lovewatches2 Oct 14, 2018

Yes, I see. Looks like it turns toward the case once on the wrist.

19. haqq777 Oct 14, 2018

Yes, indeed. Perhaps it is the gap between case and strap. I am guessing that for tabs to not show, the strap should be very snug and rubbing against case when laying flat.

20. Lovewatches2 Oct 14, 2018

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I agree, the bar diameter is a tad larger causing it to turn towards the case. Here are two wrist shots, the Velbenist (leather) & army green silicone on the Seiko 5. Pictures are not crisp as they were taken using my iphone4 (vintage) LOL! image.jpeg image.jpeg

haqq777 likes this.