Forums Latest Members
  1. Charlielondon Jun 4, 2014

Hello - as a proud owner of a 1947 27 Chro C12 T2, I am now venturing into the world of Connies. The wealth of information on this forum and the likes of http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.co.uk/ is astounding, but even with that I wanted to ask some advice.

First, it seems like way to be certain that you are buying a genuine, unfrankenstein-ed Connie is to pay careful attention to the face, casing, and particularly the movement. One of the largest (so they say) Omega dealers in the UK is Austin Kaye. Having spoken to them and asked whether they had photos of the movements they could share, I was met with a brickwall. Apparently the watch maker services all the watches before they are sold and he seals them up and the shop is unable to open them and they do not share any of the serial numbers etc until you buy the watch. I asked whether I could have the watch opened to check the movement, but they said that would void their two year warranty.

Have others bought from Austin Kaye, and did you have any concerns about their policy?

Their prices seem higher than some, cheaper than others. For instance, this looks nice at £1,495:

http://www.austinkaye.co.uk/Omega-Gents-Constellation-pie-pan-steel-automatic--5186-p.aspx

The only query I have on the face of this one is that the star appears to have been stuck back on as there is a little dark mark to the bottom of it. What do you think?

The other vendor who appears to have some nice stock is Sonning Vintage Watches. Their products are more expensive, but the bit which *seems* a little more concerning (?) is that they are only internet-based, and seemingly selling from a residential address outside Reading (presumably Sonning).

Any advice, help, warnings or suggestions much appreciated.

Thank you!
    Charlie

2. Albertwii81 Jun 4, 2014

I'm not an expert in omega pie-pan but the case looks polished and the crown is a replacement crown hence it does not justify the premium price.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 4, 2014

Austin Kaye does sell a lot of refinished dials and polished cases. Sure they have some original watches, but it is not worth the hassle if you can't be sure of what you are getting. The watch you linked to has been badly over polished

4. Charlielondon Jun 4, 2014

Thanks both. Two dumb questions, but how can you tell that the crown is a replacement, and what is overpolished?! By overpolished do you mean that all the fine scratches and marks of use have been polished off, and so it's lost some of its charm, or is it more that it's lost its brushed finish from some of the steel facets?

5. John R Smith Jun 4, 2014

Charlie

Sadly, you seem to have picked two of the absolute worst dealers in the UK if you want to buy a good, original watch that is not ridiculously overpriced. Look elsewhere!

citizenrich likes this.
  6. Albertwii81 Jun 4, 2014

7. Charlielondon Jun 4, 2014

Thanks Albert. That really informative note from Desmond was what meant I was disappointed with Austin Kaye for not allowing you to see inside the case. Their reasoning was people would then fake the serial numbers. There is some sense in that I suppose. Annoying nevertheless.

John and others, can you direct me to dealers who tend to sell original watches in good condition - and which are hopefully not overpriced?

Thanks in advance as ever

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 4, 2014

Over polished would of course remove fine scratches, but what is meant is that the shape of the metal has been drastically altered. The angles, facets or chamfers have been polished off. Even stainless steel is easily ground away with the power of modern polishing wheels.

Here is an un- polished watch and below it is the one you linked. IMG_8088.jpg !B,NZi8w!2k~$(KGrHgoH-E!EjlLl0T+JBKq,4jMfU!~~_3.jpg

Albertwii81 likes this.
  9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 4, 2014

Light scratches and case patina/dirt make me want to pursue a watch more not less.

10. Albertwii81 Jun 4, 2014

Great example!! Original unpolished case, correct crown and onyx hour markers.

11. Charlielondon Jun 4, 2014

Thanks, that makes it really clear. I have also noticed now from that image of the Austin Kaye watch that the crown is clearly too small. I suspect that is what you were referring to Albert.

MSNWatch, I agree, my 1947 Chro has what might be politely called "heavy patina" :) Please excuse the terrible phone-camera quality... DSC_0154.jpg

mbeast and Busmatt like this.
  12. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 4, 2014

You'll be looking for a long time if you want to find something collectible at Austin Kaye. Have a look at http://www.corrvintagewatches.com/ if you want to buy from someone in London who knows how collectors think & what they like. He can be a bit pricey but is always open to offers.

13. Mothra Jun 4, 2014

Charlie, you are getting good advice here. Every time I look at sonning watches I just get depressed thinking how much I might have wanted his watches before he redialled them. With a beautiful patina like that on your other watch you clearly get it. I had a friend who had a horrific experience with the aftersales service at Austin Kaye that seriously questioned the competence of their servicing.

If I wanted to fake a connie serial number I'm sure there are much easier ways than going into a London dealer and asking them to show me the movement.

Theres a Birmingham watch fair July 20th - if you haven't found anything by then it may well be worth a trip; there will be probably a dozen or so Connies to look over amongst the stalls and I've not yet found a smallholder who won't pop the case back off if you ask.