Forums Latest Members
  1. JJKIRK Feb 19, 2016

Long timer creeper, first time poster.

My fiances parents are insisting for me to pick a watch out for our engagement. I really always wanted a luxury watch, but never pulled the trigger on it. I'm thinking about buying slightly used off Ebay as I was interested in the Omega Seamaster. I wanted your expert opinion if this budget is to low for a good Omega or not? Note, I can not add any money to this this budget as they want to purchase it themselves. It also needs to look like new (come in a box and all that good stuff)

Budget:
    2,500 - 3,000 CAD
    or
    1,800 - 2,100 USD

General Background Info:
    Job: Corporate Accountant
    Watches: Currently own 10-15 watches mostly leather straps, and all pretty cheap $350-1000 CAD (Mostly Hugo Boss, Movado, Fiendi, and Burberry)
    Color: In love with everything navy and light blue.
    Bracelet: I was thinking a silver watch bracelet. I can't tell which ones are for old people and which ones are for young people

Can't think of any other relevant info, thanks everyone :)

2. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 19, 2016

Well, if it were me, I would sell of your current watches which would get you $750-1500 maybe, and then add that to whatever the future in-laws are giving you. Go ahead and go for a newer SM300 and call it day.

Once you have a nice watch, all of those other fashion watches will get ZERO wrist time.

3. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 19, 2016

You may be able to find one of these in the used watch market place that matches your budget. It's a beautiful watch and about as iconically Omega as you'll find.

diver.jpg
    Image credit: www.omegawatches.com

Mouse_at_Large and Hijak like this.
  4. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 19, 2016

5. demollo Feb 21, 2016

As @watchknut said - sell your current watches to fund the newer SMP. It is such an awesome watch

6. wayneG Feb 21, 2016

As you say, you can't add extra cash for specific reasons, so I would go with this suggestion. There is also the "Bond" seamaster which is the 2531. Worth a look as it has the blue details you'd like, but they tend to be pretty well worn, so finding a new one in good condition could be a challenge.

The watches you have now are quartz I take it, so make sure you're happy with a mechanical watch. Some people get so used to quartz (with their consistently good timekeeping and no need to wind every so often, or at least keep the power reserve high), a mechanical watch is a bit of a shock. Therefore consider a quartz seamaster as well.

7. uvalaw2005 Feb 21, 2016

That 2255.80 says U.S. shipping only, but I sometimes put that in my ads and am flexible shipping to Canada. If you like quartz, a quartz seamaster is a great suggestion, or a quartz Aqua Terra if that's a look you like. An AT would be very versatile for an accountant, I'd think.