Forums Latest Members
  1. NickyMabbs Oct 13, 2017

Hi guys & girls,

This is my first post so hopefully this is in the correct place as I could do with a spot of advice. I’ve fancied a vintage Omega for a while now but don’t really have much of an idea regarding authenticity & value.

I really like the look of this Seamaster & would very much appreciate it if some advice could be given on this particular item. To me the hands don’t look correct compared to other Seamasters I’ve seen of the same era but apart from this I’m uncertain as to what I should be looking for so any help would be amazing!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/172920865773Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thanks!

...forgot to mention, it would be around the £450 mark.

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 13, 2017

Doesn't look like a very good example. The one movement shot doesn't show much, which makes me assume that was intentional, as that single photo seems to show some crust/ corrosion, and dire need of a service. Agree with you about the hands, and the lume dots on the markers seem off as well. To me, the dial also is suspect (relume?). Also the case seems to have been polished heavily in spots, and I'm guessing that may also be why they omitted photos of the case back. And even the one shot of the inside of the case back looks like there are some issues.

I am not expert on these by any stretch, but for the price I would pass and look for a better example.

McKinley and NickyMabbs like this.
  3. Canuck Oct 13, 2017

That caliber of Omega movement is not a popular one among Omega collectors. That model came near the end of production for the pre-Swatch Omega Watch Co. Many consider it to be a sacrifice in performance and reliability for the sake of making a slim auto wind model. I took a look at the picture of the movement in the watch, and my feeling is that it doesn’t look like a freshly and thoroughly serviced movement. And there are signs that the rotor (the semi-circular weight that sits on top of the movement and winds the watch) has been dragging on the case back. All together, I would suggest that you avoid this one, and stick around this message board to get a better feeling for what is out there, and possibly even check the For Sale forums on this board. You need exposure to really develop a feel for a vintage watch that will make you happy. Note: I own one of these myself, and have had no problems with it. I am merely reporting what other regular posters on this MB have said about that model. That, and relying on what I see in the pictures included in the listing. Good on you for investigating before you invest. And unless a vendor can provide you with proof that a watch has been serviced by providing you with a fully detailed listing of what was done, when it was done, and with a current date, figure on having to have the watch thoroughly and professionally serviced.

McKinley and NickyMabbs like this.
  4. NickyMabbs Oct 13, 2017

Thank you both very much for your swift replies, it’s much appreciated. I’ve learnt more from those two posts that I have reading about these watches for the past few months.

I think I was drawn to the black dial, however just looking at the photographs something about it did sit right with me. Whilst I know nothing about vintage watches, I am very much into restoring classic cars, so from an engineering perspective I can see the tell-tale signs of a neglected movement, corrosion & rotation scars on the weight. I also noticed that the second-hand is in exactly the same position in every photo which I find slightly worrying for an automatic watch. I would’ve thought showing different positions would be preferable as evidence for it working. Also the second hand is parked between seconds, I’m not sure if this is how they are or a sign of misalignment of the hands which look very much suspect, especially the fresh green glow in the dark material.

I will continue to look for nicer examples & post them here when I find a few that I like.

Again, your help is very much appreciated, thanks guys.

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 13, 2017

Lets have another look. In addition to the points noted already:

Reference 166.0173 is NOT a Seamaster, its a Geneve.

Dial has been refinished in resale black, with Seamaster incorrectly added to bump the price to the unsuspecting.

Bracelet is incorrect, note the gap between the attachment link and case.

OP dodged a bullet and was not assessed a noob tax. Good thing you asked here first.

6. NickyMabbs Oct 14, 2017

Ahhhhh, thanks for that extra information, I’m very greatful & relieved that I thought to ask enthusiasts & experts first, as it does appear that buying a vintage watch can be an absolute minefield.

I guess where there’s money to be made people will capitalise on it.

If 166.0173 is Geneve, then this is not a genuine ‘Seamaster’ either?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/152738092430Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 14, 2017

Another Geneve with an improperly refinished dial.

8. NickyMabbs Oct 15, 2017

I figured that would probably have been the case.

I’ve been looking high & low over the past few days & think I’ve found the style that I really like. Along the lines of this item. I’m not sure how it fairs in terms of authenticity or originality, that’s something I’m going to have to learn to recognise, but I do love it!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/222672640871Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

...or this one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/332389746809Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Obviously there’s a huge difference in price at the moment so I’m keen to make sure I’m going for a nice example.

Edited Oct 15, 2017
  9. peire06 Oct 15, 2017

Stay away. Dial has been refinished (and badly for that matter). Hands have been badly relumed.

As others rightly pointed out, it should be a Geneve, not a Seamaster.

10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 15, 2017

First watch would be OK at perhaps $400 US, second one has a refinished dial and is wildly overpriced by more than four times considering the dial.

11. Edward53 Oct 16, 2017

The first one could have been quite nice but for the overpolishing that's taken off the facets. Also why is there no caseback inner photo? You need the reference number to confirm that the watch is the correct model for the dial. If in any doubt, stay away is a good motto when you are still learning.

The second one - there are just no words for that seller's audacity. Expensive does not automatically mean better.

Edited Oct 16, 2017
  12. Edward53 Oct 17, 2017

@NickyMabbs IMO you could do worse than this one. I can't see anything wrong with it (I will be called out if I've missed anything) beyond the £495 price tag which is a bit steep as there is no bracelet with it, but it's been listed for about a month and maybe the seller would knock a bit off, it's worth trying. These 60s Seamaster workshorses are getting quite uncommon in good condition. There will be a 552 movement in this one which looks to me like a 165.003, made 1965-1969. Pricey or not, it looks 100% to me. I doubt the lack of a movement photo is hiding anything worse than the seller's fear of removing case backs, and anyway this isn't a model that gets faked. And it's still at least couple of hundred less than a professional dealer would be asking.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-aut...459538?hash=item2f0baeabd2:g:mesAAOSwsPlZzPmlPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

upload_2017-10-17_19-40-10.jpeg

Edited Oct 17, 2017
  13. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 17, 2017

Band and buckle are fakes.

14. Edward53 Oct 17, 2017

I didn't even look at those. The watch looks fine to me and I disregarded the rest.

15. NickyMabbs Oct 17, 2017

That is a lovely looking timepiece. I had a closer look at the photos & the dial looks to be in remarkable condition compared to similar Seamasters I’ve seen, any chance this could’ve been potentially restored.

It does look to be very clean & I’d be willing to take a punt on it & swap the strap & buckle out for an authentic Omega if they’re sourcable. My only reluctance is not being able to see the movement but as the rest of the watch looks so clean I would assume the movement would half decent at least, unless there’s a Timex hidden away in there! Haha!

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 17, 2017

90%+ of Omega bands and buckles on eBay are fak...er, replicas.

Beware.
    gatorcpa

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  17. Edward53 Oct 18, 2017

I've looked at that seller's other items including a few watches and he doesn't seem to take the backs off any of them, so I doubt anything bad is being hidden. The dial and case are in very good condition which implies that the movement is probably ok. I'm sure that dial is untouched, and although the hands are a fraction longer than the minute markers, they are the correct type and I'd be happy with them. The hands and markers appear to have black onyx inlay. It's quite uncommon for this model to turn up with steel hands and markers; usually they are gold. I have this model with gold furniture in similar condition, pic below. Buying absolutely anything on ebay is always a gamble; I can only say this is a gamble I would be willing to take but in the end the choice is yours. As for buying a strap, one could happily live with hte one already it and get something "right" at leisure. Yes most Omega buckles on ebay are fakes but a few are correct, plus there is always the bracelet option. Mine came with this on and I think it's always been on.That's me done here, over to you!

IMG_4213.JPG

turtleh and mikechi22 like this.
  18. NickyMabbs Oct 18, 2017

That’s an amazingly gorgeous watch! Out of interest, did they change the fonts quite often on these dials? Reason I ask is that the font on you’re example looks very crisp & neat with ‘Roman’ corners to the font if that makes sense? The eBay example is very straight, looks like a completely different font, especially the detail within the ‘Seamaster’, ‘e’s in particular are quite different not to mention that the ‘Swiss made’ at the bottom looks quite squashed. Not precise & even as yours is.

D7FB286C-4709-4D18-9E24-27517FDE31DE.png

19. No Mercy Oct 18, 2017

This one is purely a redialed.

20. Edward53 Oct 18, 2017

The fonts do vary a bit on these but the way to be really sure is to download the picture and blow it up as far as possible, which I do if I'm considering buying something and which following @No Mercy's comment I've now done here. Should have done that first off but the dial looked right to me and I didn't...::facepalm2:: Yes, when you see it enlarged the a's in Seamaster are not quite the same and the G in Omega looks odd. Oops, seem to have dropped a bollock there....probably a very good redial but not quite what you're looking for!

On the plus side, you obviously have the right sort of critical eye for detail which means you will eventually find the right watch.