Forums Latest Members
  1. oldschool30 Dec 25, 2014

Hey Guys!

So I'm brand new to the world of vintage watches and I could definitely use some guidance :). I've decided that I want to get either an Omega Chronograph 321 or a Speedmaster. I was looking at these guys on eBay. Any thoughts on these watches? Thanks in advance!

Chronograph:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-Seama...twatches&hash=item418ca4b8f6&autorefresh=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Speedmaster:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-SPEED...967836979?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item43bf08d933Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

OR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-OME...es_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item4d2a4d0aafPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. Davidt Dec 26, 2014

The speedmaster is pricey and looks like it needs a service. It's ok but you can get better for less $.

I don't know a great deal about the seamasters but on the whole I believe it's a cheaper way to get the 321 movement than a similarly aged speedmaster.

I'm a Speedy nut though so I know what I'd be buying!

3. oldschool30 Dec 26, 2014

Thanks man.

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 27, 2014

Hi and welcome to forum.

You will get much better responses in future by being more specific in you header. For example:

"Speedmaster buying help"
    Or
    "Which cal 321 should I buy"

In general 321 seamasters actually sell for under $2000, needing a service and often neglected because of their low value. You will see many advertised on buy it now for much more but these rarely sell. The one you quote from Hill Street appears to have sold- they are very solid people and that seems to be an outlier.

For Speedmaster go here

www.speedmaster101.com

Good luck in your search and ask again

Rgds

JohnSteed likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 3, 2015

6. Delbok Jan 6, 2015

Hi guys, I am a new joiner here as well and could clearly post the same kind of topic as oldschool30, even if I already have something in mind...

I'd like to buy a Speedmaster with a 321 cal... obviously the 2998-2 is just crazy but it unfortunately misses a bit in my budget... and it looks like prices are moving quite fast (within few months...)

So basically I had in mind when looking at a lot of websites and historical transactions (of course OF is the best) that for a budget of $3000 a 321 cal (let's say a 145.012) was possible in a decent condition. I have seen of course recent offers of speedmaster cal 321 on OF (the last one
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/1967-omega-speedmaster-pre-moon-145-012-cal-321.19931/ ) but I just wanted to get your feeling about this.
    Is it still the case or am I just another crazy noob ?

Thanks in advance to OF cause I learnt so many things, thanks for your answers, thanks to oldschool30 for the topic and excuse my english cause I am sure you noticed I was not an english speaker !!

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 6, 2015

$3000 is a very low amount to be working with for a 321 and anything you buy at that would likely need a service before you could confidently wear it. Is this your first Omega or good watch or just one of many?

The difference being if its your only or main watch, you're really better off sticking to an 861 maybe like a 145.022-68 transitional or -69. You can totally daily wear a 321 reliably but due to the parts situation, little to no water resistance and potential cost / waiting time of getting it into a high quality independent watchmaker with a reputation for working on them, having an 861 as your daily wear Moonwatch (even if its a very cool 1968 vintage model) is a much more practical option, and you could add a 321 later on.

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 6, 2015

Whats wrong with the one you quote in your post. $500 for the piece of mind that its legit and of a reputable seller compared to the mine-field out there.

9. Delbok Jan 6, 2015

Thanks for asking dsio, well it would be the 4th piece of my collection (sic) basically I am a very big fan of watches and recently discovered the Speedmasters and clearly felt in love with these watches. I have some watches from my grandfathers (a swiss Unic gold model and a justdate rolex) and a old JLC with no particular interest but I like it. The Speedmaster would not be my daily watch, just one piece I would love to wear from a time to another, without planning any swim or rugby playing in the same day !

Standy: there is nothing wrong at all with this watch and that's why I have quoted it. The only thing I was may be "expected" for that price was a bezel in a slightly better condition even if the watch looks nice overall.

I know my question is a little bit tricky as it is very difficult to say if something is well priced because the watch is an all and it depends on some many things at the same time. Don't get me wrong I did not want to say that Lunar Oyster offer was bad. I just wanted to know if I was true or not when thinking about investing $3000 in a 321.

thanks

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 6, 2015

11. Delbok Jan 6, 2015

Thanks a lot Standy

12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 6, 2015

321 parts situation is suddenly a lot better than it was for UK owners.

I am not connected in any way to them, but the boys in Southend now have "pretty much anything you need" as a result of a recent parts haul.

Apparently it is so big that there will still be enough for me if I tell you.

Good news indeed

dennisthemenace likes this.
  13. Delbok Jan 6, 2015

Ok thanks for the tip ! I just need to figure out where they hide !

14. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 6, 2015

If you like to get a caliber 321 (as in the movement) at reasonable money you could be streetwise and go for a different brand than Omega.
    Omega did not make these, Lemania did, and several other Swiss companies used the same movement.
    I picked up this one last year. All made by Lemania (even crown signed Lemania), but dial branded Meylan.
    Came in at less than USD1200 all-in-all after I had a full movement service performed.
    Very much similar to the Omega Seamaster chronos of the time (Lemania made those also), and much better value for money if its the 321 you want specifically!
    ;)
    IMG_5501.JPG IMG_4239.JPG

timeismoney likes this.
  15. Delbok Jan 6, 2015

Thanks a lot for this precision Northernman, I am clearly interested in the 321 Caliber but within a Speedmaster case :)
    I knew these cals were made by other company, but did not know how what were the other brands that were using it as well, that's very interesting
    Cheers

16. Davidt Jan 6, 2015

I've been talking to them over the last few wks and queried if there may be a significant delay ifmy 321 needed movement parts. They didn't go into specifics but said parts were not an issue at the moment.
    I couldn't get to the post office fast enough!

17. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 6, 2015

Mmm. What's wrong?

It's had a hard life, and every part of it looks tired. This kind of watch is extremely difficult to value as although it has the correct parts, the case, bezel and hands are poor.

Bezel may be DO90 but it's shot. The hands are very dirty. History is non existent. Case is very damaged. Dial looks interesting, and this is the watch's saving asset. It seems a nice patinated dial, though many do not value this.

It is probably an excellent watch for a user who will wear it and bash it about a bit. It's already damaged so the value would not be affected, after of course a $600 service

Which immediately makes it a $4200 watch, and that's what is wrong for something that looks like this. It is a lot. What I can say is that $4200 gives you a chance at buying something with a better case and bezel.

However these 321 speedmasters are thin on the ground, and the seller may simply be at the leading edge of a price wave. I make no critism of his pricing, he has every right to ask what he likes. Indeed he states clearly he is open to offers, so maybe something can be done. I can't say this watch is expensive as I can't sell you one for less.

The honourable forum member selling this watch sells quite a few watches. Buying from him is not the same as buying a watch that looks like this from a single owner, or from an estate. This watch has an uncertain history, and so it might have a few hidden issues that won't appear until it is stripped. This risk is acceptable on a "barn find", which by definition does not have a dealers margin, nor the possible/probable multiple previous owners.

There are others who regularly sell watches here who do add value, and so paying a premium is justified. One particular member, finds good watches, then has them serviced by Omega and then sells the end result. His watches are priced high, but fair given the elimination of risk, and the initial selection of a good watch.

As others have said, if it's just the 321 you want, a seamaster can be had for $1500-3000. Of course they too will need a full service, especially as they may have been ignored by thier owners.

Good luck in your hunt.

Post what you find?

TNTwatch, lando and TLIGuy like this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 7, 2015

Spacefruit was more of my way of saying your not going to get a one owner neat as some of yours and others for $3000 ;)

You cant have a 3k budget at want a 5k watch :whistling:

Spacefruit likes this.
  19. Delbok Jan 7, 2015

Thanks for your answer.
    That's why I was asking if I was right or wrong by expecting a fairly good condition watch in my budget.
    Now I think I think I have my answer :)

20. Mathlar Jan 7, 2015

18 months ago, I think you may have had a reasonable budget. Today, that budget will only get you the desirable 861 vintages ('68-'69 transitional dial, '69 hippocampus case back and '69 straight writing case back) in decent condition. This is the route I have gone, having also missed out on the "bargains" of yesteryear.

As @dsio said above, an 861 makes more sense if you're just starting a vintage Speedy collection and are looking for a daily wearer - these are easily serviceable now due to the ready availability of parts, and should be for many many years to come. If you are going to safely collect 321s, you'll probably need to invest more for the future too (donor movements, spare balance and other hard-to-find parts, etc).