Forums Latest Members
  1. Tone201 Dec 24, 2016

Hi
    I've never owned a vintage watch before yet I've always wanted one
    I know so little but I am searching the Internet and forums to learn.
    I found this seamaster online.
    It's going really cheap. How much would you pay?
    I think the dial and case are fake. But the movement appears to genuine.
    If anyone could share some info that would be great.

If the movement is in good order is it worth replacing the fake parts with real ones or will I just create a worthless piece. I'd be happy with all genuine parts from the same era.
    I apologise for my ignorance and appreciate any advise. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Thanks in advance

2. ulackfocus Dec 24, 2016

It's going really cheap because no real collector wants it. It's a piss poor refinished dial and a resurfaced case. Seriously - look at the OMEGA and Seamaster - was it written in chalk?

What IS IT about shiny and colorful that attracts n00bs like moths to a flame?

3. Tone201 Dec 24, 2016

Thanks for your reply. Appreciated.
    To be honest the coloured dial didn't attract me at all, I'd prefer original.
    Being a noob I was attracted to the shiny movement. It just looked better condition than any I'd seen for sale and I was thinking perhaps it may be good place to start, esp considering I intended to wear this watch.
    Yes I'm certainly a noob with no knowledge of vintage watches. This is my first exploration into them. Information on this site has educated me a great deal.

I do appreciate and Thankyou for your prompt reply and advise.

4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 24, 2016

BUY A WATCH ON THE OF FOR SALE sub forum.

Make it easy on yourself.

Foo2rama and watchthirst like this.
  5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 24, 2016

6. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Dec 24, 2016

The movement is shiny but WTF did they do to the inside of that case back? Could that be shinola or something else...

The case back says the case should be gold plated,no?

Is that piece being sold out of India?

7. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Dec 24, 2016

And it looks like they tried to fake up the mark on the crystal too.

8. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Dec 24, 2016

The watch you posted has many issues including a refinished dial and polished case. From a collectible perspective, this is not a good buy.
    If you want to avoid making a mistake, my suggestion would be to purchase from a reliable and trustworthy seller. Another option would be to check the sales forum. Every watch listed there is examined by members of the forum and you can be sure they will post any issues that are not disclosed.

9. Tone201 Dec 25, 2016

10. Tone201 Dec 25, 2016

Thanks again appreciate the advise.
    Saved me spending my hard earned cash.
    Nah it wasn't out of india, from Australia, but nothing to say an Aussie didn't purchase it from India and resold here.
    I figuired the case and dial weren't genuine.

I'll have to save my pennies and take the advise here.
    Im not a collecter just wanted a vintage mechanical watch. Having said that it will be cheaper to purchase a quality piece first up.
    Thanks again to all replies.

11. Edward53 Dec 25, 2016

That watch probably started life as a mid to late 60s Omega Geneve. Manual wind Geneves of this vintage (cal 600, 601, 613 etc) are quality watches using the same movements as Seamaster, but are less sought after and with some patience you should find a decent all-original one at the right price. That case should have had a "brushed matt" finish. You're much more likely to get a good buy from a private individual than a business seller who churns them out. The automatic Geneve in the same case with a 552 movement is also an excellent watch. Spend a month or two reading these forums and you should pick up enough to buy one safely. Google images of the watch you want and compare the photos to what's on sale.

I love the "Automatic Day Date" description. You can see he's really thinking hard about all his listings. ;) Also "orange redish" - is this some sort of vegetable I haven't heard of?