Forums Latest Members

First Time Buyer Looking For Advice Before Purchase

1. bostonhunt May 31, 2013

I have been looking for a nice vintage watch to wear on regular occasions and have found that I am drawn to the Omegas. I am drawn more to the year it was made, 40's and 50's, then to any particular style. Also, as I plan to wear the watch more than most collectors I am not over concerned about the condition of the watch and actually find the wear gives the watch some character. However, I do want the watch to be as close to original as possible and do not want a refinished dial. That all being said, I have been eying this watch for a few days and wanted to get the opinion of a more seasoned set of eyes to insure the watch is original. The seller is stating that all parts are original and unfinished, except for the strap. Based on the inside of the case back the watch appears to have the correct crown, movement, and case. My biggest concern is the dial seems to be very rare and I can not find hands similar to these. Because of this, I feel that the watch is not as original as the seller makes it out to be. I know that getting fooled comes with this hobby from time to time, but I would like my first purchase to be a good buy. Any opinions of this watch's originality would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 31, 2013

Very nice watch, but.....
    That movement is in Terrible condition and I doubt therefore it is likely to be particularly accurate. If you want something for every day wear, I'd suggest a constellation, as they are chronometer rated and so more likely to keep good time (say +\-5 seconds a day). I would be very skeptical if the watch you posted would do that.

I would suggest the dial on that watch is original, but that the hands have been replaced - the minute hand looks too long to me.

3. prostie1200 Jun 1, 2013

This one is with my watch repairer now and shows the pear shaped hands and length to be correct Chronometer2.jpg

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 1, 2013

I stand corrected

5. prostie1200 Jun 1, 2013

Canberra

You can be excused for believing the minute hand is too long - it seems a poor design to have the minute hand not pointing to the split minute track.

Brian

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 1, 2013

I see you are relatively new here. We have a member called hoipolloi who is obsessed with hand length, and his obsession has clearly rubbed off onto other members!

7. Habitant Jun 1, 2013

If you go to the Omega website, you'll see that your case number (2348) is shown here: http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=15427
    For case style 2346 (http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=20452) you'll find that the hands are probably correct.
    Canberra is right that the movement is filthy, but in my own opinion, worth getting cleaned by a GOOD watchmaker. Here in the UK, there are a couple of guys who can do this sort of overhaul for around £40-50 (USD$60-75) - but these are trade prices, not retail. No doubt someone Stateside and in your area could recommend a good 'un. As for sending it to Omega for service, check your offshore account balance first.
    Lovely watch; no idea how much your man is asking, but speaking for myself (I love similar period Omegas) I'd certainly buy it, have it serviced and enjoy it. If you look at eBay, similar watches will sell from around USD$250-500 - NOT a valuation, just an observation of market conditions.

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 1, 2013

Length of the hands are correct. Here is one of mine with a cleaner original dial:

[​IMG]

9. Dablitzer Jun 1, 2013

Wow! That looks like it's just come from the factory!

10. mac_omega Jun 1, 2013

Yes, this is the legendary and famous "MSN - grade" quality ;)

MKelley likes this.
  11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 2, 2013

Mike, you never ceased to amaze me with your collection. I wish in the future I could visit NJ to see and pay respect to your entire collection........

12. Habitant Jun 2, 2013

Wow. I am not worthy, to quote Wayne and Garth (Waynes World). What a cotton pickin' beauty.