Forums Latest Members
  1. lyle Apr 18, 2019

Hi All -

Add me to the list: just bought this 3572.50 from Crown+Caliber. It's a beautiful piece! I also pre-ordered a Tudor BB 58 but ended up cancelling that. For some reason, the Moonwatch just has something else to it.

I learned a lot from the forums - appreciate all your contributions!

I debated between the display case back and the regular Moonwatch mainly because of the 30m vs 50m water resistance. Don't want to ruin the watch by washing dishes or getting caught in the rain. Definitely wouldn't go swimming with it.

Before I rip the sticker off, just wondering if 30m vs 50m really means anything in practical terms?

Thanks to the forum!
    -Lyle

1.jpg

2. Eve Apr 18, 2019

Archer wrote a few comments on this topic. If Omega states 30m then it should actually withstand 30m. If some gasket fails, then it doesnt matter if it says 300m or just 50m WR.
    Edit: congrats on the watch! :)

3. Slowpoker Apr 18, 2019

Beautiful timepiece, I wish you good luck wearing it.

To be totally honest the 30m vs 50m isn't anything serious. Bear in mind people don't often swim with the Speedy Pro and I doubt anything will happen when you wash the dishes since the caseback is protected by your wrist. As Eve said 30m means 30m, although timepieces can often withstand more.

I have an Hublot that's 7-8 years old and it withstands rain, dishwashing and even a dip in the sink full of water and beard trimmings.

As long as the gaskets are intact you're good to go.

4. RemiWM Apr 18, 2019

Congrats on a classic Speedy!
    This watch handles water just fine. I used to wash my Speedy with a very soft toothbrush under running water every now and then. When Omega states 30m WR it actually means 30m WR, but the most I could dare with a Speedy is light surface snorkeling. Remember: Don’t use the pushers when the watch is wet.
    A good idea is also to pressure test it every year to 50m. Takes only 10 min and cost almost nothing.

Greetings from Norway.

5. FlyingSnoopy Apr 18, 2019

Enjoy it
    Personally I would not swim wearing a speedmaster

6. lyle Apr 18, 2019

Thanks for the advice. No wouldn't go swimming with this watch at all. Glad to hear it's safe for some water exposure at 30m.
    C+C said they checked the gaskets so for now I'm good to go. Still trying to get myself to pull the sticker off and commit!

7. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 18, 2019

Very nice. Congrats and welcome to OF :thumbsup:

8. 77deluxe Apr 18, 2019

Very nice. Excellent choice. Generally speaking I don’t swim with a chronograph. Just a Ploprof.

9. Slowpoker Apr 18, 2019

If you're unsure I would personally have a small think about it. Any reason why you're afraid to pull the sticker?

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 18, 2019

Personally pushers are the weak spot. I see little to no difference with the caseback. Remember 30m is about 100 feet lol.
    I’ve got a feeling I may be corrected by our resident bowman.

11. Evitzee Apr 18, 2019

Welcome aboard. I wouldn't dunk the watch even while soaking in the swimming pool, its not a dive watch. It's fine if caught in the rain, washing the car (or dishes) and similar real world stuff. Wear it and enjoy it.

12. lyle Apr 18, 2019

The most expensive watch I've ever purchased before this is a Seiko Orange Monster for like $175.
    So this is a big step up, and a little nerve-racking!

drhombus24 and 77deluxe like this.
  13. rob#1 Apr 18, 2019

Welcome and enjoy your watch, a true classic. I won’t swim with mine because I’m paranoid about the pushers getting knocked, and I have other watches to wear when getting wet. For me the clue is in the name, ie ’Speed’ not ‘Sea’ ;) Incidentally OBs will pressure test your Omega for free.

14. Slowpoker Apr 18, 2019

I see...

My opinion is to try out the timepiece without pulling the sticker if possible and see how you feel. This timepiece is meant to be enjoyed; whatever way it's meant to be enjoyed is up to you.

Pull the sticker whenever you feel ready. Just don't be the guy who wears it everywhere with the sticker still attached weeks later.

Edited Apr 18, 2019
  15. g-boac Apr 18, 2019

Unless there's more to "30 meters water resistance" that the Omega operating instructions aren't describing, I'm having a hard time understanding why a watch certified for water resistance to 30 meters, or 98.42 feet, isn't suitable for everyday activities near, in, and around water at the surface.

Note that this is a completely different conversation from whether anybody feels it's worth the risk of exposing a vintage watch to water. With a vintage watch, you have two factors to consider: potentially reduced performance of older parts in keeping water out, and consequences should the water resistance fail (i.e., they're not making vintage dials or hands any more, whereas if a modern Speedmaster for some reason does get flooded, spare parts are in ample, current production).

However, when the now-vintage Ω321 105.012-66CB Speedmasters were the then-modern current production Speedmasters in the 60s, they saw and survived their share of both sea and space:

worden_recovery.jpg
    Figure 1. Apollo 15 recovery Command Module Pilot Al Worden egresses the command module following splashdown. If you look carefully above, you can see what looks to be his Speedmaster on his left wrist.

apollo-17-recovery-astronaut-eugene-cernan-photo-print-11.jpg
    Figure 2. Apollo 17 recovery. What looks to be a double-wound velcro bracelet for Cernan's Speedy on his left wrist above. (The double-winding was to take up extra length, which came into use when wearing on the outside of a spacesuit). Also, while Speedmaster's aren't visible in the next photo (Apollo 16 recovery), this gives a bigger picture look at the recovery operations in the middle of the South Pacific:
    e77423b282a29d54c0e6c8ccb48c02f6--rocket-center-space-rocket.jpg

This isn't to say that Speedmasters are diving watches intended for recreational or commercial underwater diving applications; but, 30m of water resistance is certainly more than enough for exposure to water in everyday life (and even in beyond "everyday life" as shown above).

TJH, asrnj77 and Omegafanman like this.
  16. g-boac Apr 18, 2019

Hi Lyle, welcome! And enjoy your Speedmaster!

17. hbombkid Apr 18, 2019

Congrats and perfectly fine to swim with it / daily use around water.

18. Sirjojo Apr 18, 2019

But how to test a watch for water resistant except to submerse it in water? Genuine question from a newbie

19. lyle Apr 18, 2019

Where is there an OB that will do this?!?!

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 18, 2019

Swam with a new Speedmaster several times.

58601C5A-BEE6-459D-BA93-F0D044049566.jpeg

Emil, RemiWM, Eve and 1 other person like this.