Forums Latest Members

First Purchase of the Year

1. Dre Jan 20, 2017

After the unexpected find of my UG Tri-Compax ( https://omegaforums.net/threads/last-purchase-of-the-year.50400/ ) for the last purchase of 2016, here it is my first purchase of 2017. Totally unexpected find as well, something a little different.

A week late due to another bad service of Australia Post, parcel was missing and I found it in the post office couple of suburbs next to mine, hidden in one of the shelf in their back room, unscanned. Would still be lost now if I didn't try to look for it myself. Had no other choice of shipping from where it's coming from as I didn't want to make the seller drive for an hour one-way trip to Fedex depot.

Sold to me by the grandson of the original owner. Given to the original owner when he turned 12 and received his Holy Communion, as his dad was an engineer, this was his first step towards a similar career. Previous owner was an engineer for a large company (back then, Europe's largest) that built boats (fuel tankers and cargo ships) called 'De Boelwerf' in Temse, Belgium. According to the grandson, his granddad also loved flying and diving.

The watch was conceived and then promoted as a watch for scientists, engineers, mathematicians; for timing and financial calculations. It was specifically not designed for military men or pilots. The world's first calculator watch, Juvenia Arithmo circa 1940s.

IMG_4645.JPG

Had a fun time playing around with it last night, managed to figured out how to use the multiplying and dividing functions. In my understanding, the watch has fluted mobile bezel with built-in ruler. In the second case, the slide rule is protected by a stunning glass ring, dubbed Réfrascope. I particularly love the fluted bezel, less common bezel compare to the other Arithmo examples.

2. Jonatan Jan 20, 2017

That is an awesome watch and the story makes it even better. Where do you guys get this stuff?

I would call dibs but if getting it to Australia is that complicated, I wouldn't trust getting it out. ;)

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 20, 2017

These are friggin great watches! Also this is the best one I've seen in my short tenure as a collector. Really clean!

Dre likes this.
  4. Dre Jan 21, 2017

Don't do standard shipping anymore ;)

Same here, glad I found this! Was quite unexpected!

5. Omeg@007 BLACK & ORANGE rule!!! Jan 21, 2017

lovely watch!

Dre likes this.
  6. Dre Feb 22, 2017

Thought I might share this here for future reference on what's the inside of this beauty looks like. Had the case back open for the first time, I bought it without seeing the case back, as the seller told me that he doesn't know how to open it. No watchmaker marks, looks like it hasn't even been opened before. No case back opening gap. What interesting about it, is the number "777" stamps.

File_000.jpeg
    File_001.jpeg

The serial is 87777, makes it triple signed 777 :whistling:

File_002.jpeg

ahartfie, GregH, Larry S and 2 others like this.
  7. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Feb 22, 2017

Cool strap , maker?

8. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Feb 22, 2017

Love this piece every time you post it. And a great looking movement as well. Have you timed it for accuracy? Especially if it looks like it has never been open before I'd be curious how it runs.

9. Dre Feb 22, 2017

No brand, came with a watch from Germany last year.

Thanks mate. It runs perfectly and keeping real good time actually, power reserve is definitely more than 24 hours. That said, the watch is definitely due for service now since I know that there's a good chance that it has never been serviced before.

Jwit likes this.
  10. Dre Feb 22, 2017

Just for you bud, since there's not that many information about the watch!

K34_juvenia_1948.jpg tumblr_n637ea1f5o1toc8l6o1_540.jpg Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 3.56.48 pm.png

GregH and Jwit like this.
  11. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Feb 22, 2017