Forums Latest Members
  1. g_milanesi May 28, 2018

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and I wanted to get some advice from people that are knowledgeable about vintage Omegas. I was recently offered an Omega that I would like to know from people here if it is worth buying. These are the details:
    - Vintage Omega Seamaster 30
    - Stainless steel body
    - Recently serviced and polished.
    - Fully working manual movement caliber 286 of 17 jewels
    - Comes with a lovely genuine leather belt.
    - Price: 280 euros

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600.jpg
  2. GuiltyBoomerang May 28, 2018

Hey there, glad to have you on board and asking first before purchasing.

The watch to my is original; however, as the seller has pointed out, it has been polished. For most collectors, this makes the watch lose value and also means that it looks less desirable. The crown and crystal have been replaced with generic inserts.

I would also take the seller's word that they have serviced the watch with a pinch of salt as that gasket looks very old, and the wheels still have some dirt on them.

For 280 Euro, it's not bad, especially if it has been serviced properly...however, the polished case would make this a no go for me. With some careful searching you can find some more desirable models, though you will need to factor in a service cost.

connieseamaster and g_milanesi like this.
  3. g_milanesi May 28, 2018

Thanks for the reply. I am a novice who loves the vintage Omegas and Longines and I would like to get one. Which model would you recommend me? I would not like to spend that much. :)

4. g_milanesi May 28, 2018

Any other point of view? I'm curious about other's opinion ;)

5. Dan S May 28, 2018

The overpolished case would be a dealbreaker for me, and I wouldn't need to look any further.

There is something else that troubles me a little, although I'm not sure quite what to make of it. The word "OMEGA" is extremely close to the logo, almost touching. Perhaps it's within the range of variability (or an illusion from the angle of the photo), but it immediately caught my eye and bothered me.

6. connieseamaster May 28, 2018

I agree there's something off with the dial. The "Omega" is very close to the applied logo and I think the applied logo might be crooked. Along with the other faults members have pointed out but the seller didn't disclose, I'd pass.

If you're feeling cheeky, tell the seller everything you see wrong with the watch and then offer €150

7. airansun In the shuffling madness May 28, 2018

I’d pass, period. Too many things wrong; a more expensive watch would be cheaper and the cause for fewer future regrets.

8. MikeMan2727 May 28, 2018

Agree with those above. It would be an easy pass for me given condition of the case and dial.

9. g_milanesi May 28, 2018

Thanks, guys! As you all suggested me, I passed. Unfortunately, I don't know too much about watches and even though I make my research I may overlook small details as the ones you just told me. I'll keep searching for my first vintage Omega ;)

10. ConElPueblo May 28, 2018

You haven't started out with a bad reference, only a bad watch. The Seamaster 30 is a durable, wearable vintage watch that isn't especially costly and should be easy to service for most watchmakers.

Good luck on your hunt :)