Forums Latest Members

First post. Question about servicing a pre-owned Speedmaster Pro

1. jeremydouglass Apr 26, 2016

This is my first post here. Thanks for reading.

I have yet to purchase my Speedmaster. But I've been researching and reading about it, the history, the movement, the best way to buy one, the trusted sellers, etc. I've filled my head with so much information and I feel like I'm ready to settle on a pre-owned rather than new from an AD or grey market.

There's a great seller on this board that has come highly recommended from users at r/watches and WUS. He verifies that even though his watches may not have been serviced recently or the service history is unknown, his watches won't need servicing for quite some time and that's all fine and good. It doesn't seem very often that a recently serviced Speedmaster comes available. I guess I've been hung up on the idea of having a warranty but don't really want to pay the extra grand to an AD. I don't care about brand new as much as I care about function and general condition.

Is it generally considered par for the course to have a pre-owned Speedmaster serviced? Has anyone here who's purchased a pre-owned Speedmaster immediately turned around and handed their new (to them) Speedy over to Omega for servicing? What should I expect when buying a watch from a trusted seller?

2. proximal Apr 27, 2016

It depends on what his criteria are for judging when a watch needs servicing. There is a lot of good info and an example in this thread: https://omegaforums.net/threads/if-...-does-that-mean-it-doesnt-need-service.20475/

I would say if you are buying something more than a few years old, go ahead and put service cost into your budget as well. If it's not needed immediately (based on the age of the watch), you'll want it done soon enough so be prepared. You don't have to send it directly to Omega; the Speedmaster is popular enough that there are plenty of qualified independent watchmakers who could service it for you.

What you get with a trusted seller is more about their reputation of delivering exactly what is advertised with no transactional issues.

noelekal likes this.
  3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 27, 2016

I don't think anyone here would buy a vintage speedy and turn it over to Omega for service!

repoman likes this.
  4. VillageIdiot Apr 27, 2016

With used watches and unknown service history, it's probably best to assume that it needs a service. Assume $500-$800 for it (probably closer to $800).

When I bought my (used) 3572.50, I had it for maybe a month before handing it over to an independent (not Omega) for servicing (that was the plan all along).

However, if your used watch has any beginnings of "vintageness" (e.g., patina), do not send it to Omega. Their goal is give you back a watch that is as new as possible. If they deem it necessary, they will replace the dial, hands, and bezel, destroying any "vintage" value or desirability. For an example of what Omega servicing is like, see here. If you take the watch to an independent, you can often tell them to preserve the dial, hands, etc..

5. jeremydouglass Apr 27, 2016

6. jeremydouglass Apr 27, 2016

I'm not looking for a vintage watch. Just a pre-owned one in excellent functioning condition. I have no problem handing a +/-10 year old watch over to Omega for servicing. My thinking is that it's a way to get a 2 year warranty without buying new from an AD.

7. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 27, 2016

Totally agree that turning it over to Omega for service is not only costly, but if your watch is a original vintage version, you won't recognize what you get back 6 months later. Just make sure your watch-maker has an Omega parts account.

8. VillageIdiot Apr 27, 2016

That's the price for leather. The service price for a speedy pro with a metal bracelet is something like $710. Add tax, and it's closer to $800 (I'm giving the upper range, so as to not mislead people, because many are shocked at the service costs).

Edit: OK, you're not interested in anything close to vintage. So, going to Omega is probably fine (but see the article that I linked). Walking in, they're likely to add tax; if you mail it elsewhere, shipping and insurance will be similar to, if not higher than, any taxes.

Edited Apr 27, 2016
  9. proximal Apr 27, 2016

Most watchmakers will offer a 1-2 year warranty on watches that they service.