Forums Latest Members

First post intro + Authentic Deployment?

1. bubbie Mar 8, 2017

First post! Walking through the Omega Boutique at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, I fell in love with the Speedy Pro. Love the look, love the story and tradition.

After much research and deliberation, I decided to pull the trigger on a current ref 311.30.42.30.01.005. My plan is to "give it to my son" for his first birthday this year as an heirloom gift. But first I'm going to break it in for about 25 years. :)

On to my question. I love this watch with a leather strap, but bought it with the bracelet. The aftermarket strap options combined with an OEM clasp look great.

I found this clasp on Ebay... seems to good to be true. Is this a good fake or a great deal?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262882009698Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thanks!

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 8, 2017

If it seems to good .................................................................................................................

Oh and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

3. alohatime Mar 8, 2017

While the part number and even text on the deployant match up, if you look very closely it is not legit. I have ordered one last week, I plan on writing a post comparing it to the real deal (darn ruined my surprise) . Seller offers returns though :thumbsup:. Well maybe I'll lose $4 on shipping but I'm always open to comparing things or it could become my beater deployant. There's a brushed deployant that will fit your new speedy pro moonwatch in the Watch Parts and Accessories part of the forum by the highly regarded @yinzerniner. If you compare his pictures to the listing you will see why it is not real.

4. jroam82 Mar 8, 2017

But also, if you compare his price, you might as well buy straight from the boutique.

Have recently seen a fairly new receipt for one from an omega boutique (in a for sale listing) for $264.

I was quoted $330 AUD just last week from omega which translates to just under $250 USD currently.

It seems people see third party seller sites like ofrei and cousins jacking up their prices (due to parts limiting) and think that's what they cost.

Pays to do your research.

Just my $0.0266 AUD.

5. jroam82 Mar 8, 2017

Also, please let us know how that clasp turns out. Pictures look good buuuutttt .....

I'm looking at the moment too and have read an old thread on WUS on this topic where the photos were of a real item, but you don't get that exact item. I guess they're banking on people not noticing.

Keep an eye out for the dot (indent/hole) above the omega text as legit ones have it.

Also overall length tends to be much shorter on the fakes.

6. bubbie Mar 22, 2017

Update: The deployment looked good, but I returned it. Seller was very easy to work with/return. No matter how good a fake it is, I have no interest in putting a "fake" anything on my new Moonwatch. Instead of the alligator with clasp @~$500, I'm going to snag a couple Bulang & Sons straps. Will post pics once I get them.

7. korneevy Mar 23, 2017

I bought exact same clasp a few weeks ago, it arrived today. Upon close inspection, I can conclude that it is clearly an imitation as all the markings are very shallow, laser etched and not very detailed. The raised logo, on the other hand, looks as good as the original (which I can only judge from the photos). The weight is hefty, the click is rather confident, seems to be very secure and putting an Omega OEM strap on it was a breeze, so it looks like it was made close to the Omega factory specs.

I was sort of two minds as to keep or return it, but decided to keep so I can wear it for a few weeks/months and see if I like the comfort and function enough to drop $250 on the clasp from the boutique. I've never had an Omega deployant before, and having had numerous other brands' clasps other the years, I know it can be a hit or miss (love IWC one, hate Panerai design, impartial to Blancpain etc.).

In any case, anything that sells for less than 150$ on the eBAY is likely to be fake, and considering how hard it is to tell from the photos, I wouldn't risk any serious money of these on-line buys, safer and better to get it right from the source;)

8. alohatime Mar 23, 2017

9. jroam82 Mar 23, 2017