Forums Latest Members

First Omega Wrist-Chronograph Limited Edition

1. K K BULLET TAN Aug 23, 2019

Hello, I learned that a collector watch has to be in original and good condition. Rarity is an added bonus.

I believe "Marriage Watch" will not be of interest to the collectors. Maybe even strong objection against such watch if not disgusted. Probably labelled as "Franken".

I hereby enclosed the links to a "Marriage Watch" produced by Omega and also an example of a typical "Marriage Watch".

Will this be the new trend in the world of watch collection.....

https://www.thehourglass.com/video/...new-watch-collection-and-they-cost-121k-each/

IMG_0593.JPG IMG_0634.JPG IMG_0630.JPG IMG_0627.JPG IMG_0619.JPG IMG_0615.JPG IMG_0614.JPG IMG_0612.JPG IMG_0603.JPG IMG_0590.JPG

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 24, 2019

Calling the watch produced by Omega a "marriage watch" is hardly correct. They used an original Omega movement and housed it in a case made for it by Omega. Hardly a movement taken from a tired old pocket watch and stuck in a modern case.

I also think calling a pocket watch conversion (i.e.: a pocket watch with lugs added to convert it to a wrist watch) a marriage watch is incorrect.

Marriage watches, by definition, are the product of a watchmaker who marries, or brings together two unrelated components to create one.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  3. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Aug 24, 2019

if this becomes a thing, a couple of sellers in the ukraine will be doing the snoopy dance

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 24, 2019

A Wandolec Waltz more likely :D.

Vitezi likes this.
  5. K K BULLET TAN Aug 24, 2019

Thank you for correcting me.

This ‘First Omega Wrist-Chronograph Limited Edition’ using an actual movement from a 1900s ’18”’CHRO’. Omega make a new case to house it. So technically speaking, the entire watch is not in original condition anymore though the new case is from Omega.

I also agreed with you that the pocket watch converted to a wrist watch does not falls under the term "Marriage Watch". The converted watch is now a wrist watch but still is not in its original state anymore.

This IWC Marriage Watch will be a more appropriate example.

Will such Marriage watch be the new trend in watch collection as overtime, the case will rust away while the movement may still be in good working condition.
    Screenshot_20190824-132543_Carousell.jpg

6. K K BULLET TAN Aug 24, 2019

Yup, you are spot on. The watchmakers are from Ukraine.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 24, 2019

There are, and probably always will be people who buy marriage watches.
    Some know what they're getting and don't care and some will think they have an original rare unique etc etc.

I doubt that any serious watch collector would be interested unless the movement was of exceptional rarity.

8. K K BULLET TAN Aug 24, 2019

So this will not set the new trend in watch collection. As time past, it will be more and more difficult to discover a real vintage gem.

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 24, 2019

Still not a marriage watch though. The movements were not salvaged from original wrist chronos. Omega found 18 unused movements in the dungeons, refurbished them and cased them in modern Omega cases made specifically for those movements.

10. K K BULLET TAN Aug 24, 2019

I hear your view.

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 24, 2019

There will be vintage gems from time to time, both in wrist watches and pocket watches. Part of the fun is the search for them, and the best is when you actually manage to snag them.

All it takes is knowledge, time, patience and money.

12. K K BULLET TAN Aug 24, 2019

Thank you for your words of encouragement.