Forums Latest Members

First Omega watch purchase from local AD (Toronto), target discount range, if any?

1. an1030 Dec 25, 2017

Hello,

I am looking to get my first watch from a local Toronto AD and prior to shopping, I would like to see from other members if it were still possible to negotiate on the MSRP.

Planning to get the moonwatch professional ("speedy") in hesalite/stainless steel.

I wish I knew about the presentation box/price increase a few years back that raised the price as well as our weaker Canadian dollar. Unfortunately due to the duties/taxes and possible trouble going between borders with this watch without proper paperwork, I believe it is better to get this purchased properly in the local market rather than from a reputable reseller on these forums.

TIA.

2. mayankyadav Dec 25, 2017

I was able to get 25%. Had to call several though.

3. Toishome Dec 25, 2017

19% discount off the list price on that watch is the most I got. Doesn't mean YOU cant get more.

4. an1030 Dec 25, 2017

Thank you, I understand that all these numbers are conditional on various things.

That said, I am looking for those who have personally dealt with the ADs in Toronto (Canada). I am unsure if the various geographic differences between other countries might have played a factor into the possible discount.

5. Toishome Dec 25, 2017

Only reason I responded to your thread is because my experience was in Toronto ;)

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 25, 2017

Don't be scared to walk out a few times whilst negotiating. ie) go in early and see how you do then have lunch and do some shopping and go back and tighten the clamps a bit more. ;)

(Not in Canada but I did have some maple syrup on pancakes a few days ago)

Baz9614, gostang9, Kmart and 6 others like this.
  7. an1030 Dec 25, 2017

I wish 30% was more easily attained, seems a few years back this was not much of a hassle.

These days it seems you need to bend space and time before seeing such discounts and my friend's discount is limited to one a year and I need to wait until 2019 before that is freed up... :(

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 25, 2017

Depends on the AD and the model. Go in saying you have one via a well known internet seller without warranty and quote the jomashop price. You don’t care about the warranty but want to build a relationship with a local dealer.

This will only work with established models not new models or limited editions.

An OB will not discount.

Jwit likes this.
  9. Noor Dec 26, 2017

I got a tiny 5% discount at a OB on the 60th Seamaster LE

BenBagbag and Foo2rama like this.
  10. Toishome Dec 26, 2017

Thats 5% more than me :(

htiek likes this.
  11. Omegacentauri Jan 5, 2018

I got 21 percent discount on my Omega Sea Master at RDV at 101 Bloor St. west, Toronto, Ontario. Very professional jewellers OD for Omega.

htiek likes this.
  12. deryk527 Jan 6, 2018

There are lots of options around Toronto.

I got 20% from the AD in Eaton Centre a few years ago. There’s an AD in the Yorkdale mall that is fairly upfront with the discounts.

Best deal I ever had was 40% from a store in Vaughn Mills but they’ve closed up shop.

Happy hunting.

13. kov Trüffelschwein. Jan 6, 2018

And do it on a quarter end :whistling:

:D

henrikaa likes this.
  14. henrikaa Jan 6, 2018

Always the best time to go for a bargain! :p

15. an1030 Feb 11, 2018

What is considered 'quarter's end'? :)

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 11, 2018

Fiscal quarter.

17. Starman71 Feb 11, 2018

This. As with any sales organization... end of month, quarter, or year.

18. htiek Feb 11, 2018

I would like to go to Royal de Versailles, but I always feel so intimidated walking in

mikekchc likes this.
  19. R3D9 Feb 11, 2018

If you’re not locked-in to buying from an AD, as an alternative I suggest checking out canwatchco.ca - a Canadian-based watch collectors forum.

Lots of sellers of lightly used Speedy’s pop up regularly on the forum and prices seem to be hovering in the $4K range for a nice example.

Bobby runs the website - his handle is: canwatchco and he is excellent to deal with. He regularly has access to a variety of NIB watches, including Speedy’s.

FYI - you need to register a user ID before you can view anything on the sales forums.

Also, now that the Canadian dollar is performing better vs the USD, consider buying from one of the trusted dealers on OF (ask around for guidance as to who the really good guys are):

https://omegaforums.net/forums/watches-for-sale/

Even with duties/taxes/exchange it can work out in your favour.

Great choice in terms of the model you’re looking at! Best of luck.

htiek likes this.
  20. htiek Feb 11, 2018

Thats an incredible help! Duties and taxes and shipping are always such a canadian headache

mikekchc likes this.