First Omega Vintage: Seamaster Deville Or Constellation?

Hello.
I’m looking to buy my first vintage OMEGA timepiece. I’m looking for a classic watch with a simple and clean look. After some research I have landed on either a Seamaster DeVille or Constellation from the ‘60s. I prefer the 14k gold cap on stainless steel cases. My budget is around USD1500-2000 since I’m looking for a mint piece.

The following links are examples of the timepieces and what layout I prefer.

Seamaster DeVille:
http://www.yorktime.com/sku/343/images/omdeville.jpg

Constellation
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2651/4125624676_8a8b0ff7cd.jpg
When it comes to the Constellation I prefer it as on the picture. Small Lugs, Straight hands, No Pie-Pan

My question is if you guys can lay it out for me. What are the main differences between the two models? What would you prefer and why?

Thank you in advance
Martin Oberg Sjostedt
Norway

A Constellation is a chronometer, and has a higher grade of movement it it, they were Omega's flagship at the time, while the De Ville uses non-chronometer grade versions of the same movement family, are less elaborately finished and are a slightly less exceptional watch. If you're looking at spending 1500-2000, its worth looking into Constellation Pie-Pans, they're the pick of the litter and within your price range.

Thank you for answering dsio.

The Pie Pan is beautiful, however I’m seeking something with a simpler and cleaner look.

I will use the watch almost daily so I assume the constellation thus is the preferred one.

I very much welcome other opinions as well.

Again, thank you in advance.
Martin

Thank you for answering dsio.

The Pie Pan is beautiful, however I’m seeking something with a simpler and cleaner look.

I will use the watch almost daily so I assume the constellation thus is the preferred one.

I very much welcome other opinions as well.

Again, thank you in advance.
Martin
There are plenty of dial options on the Constellation line, but yea, keep your eyes peeled and you'll find something exceptional within your price range, your budget is enough to get a mint condition piece for sure.

If you go for maybe a 1960s Constellation rather than a 1950s, the Cal 55x and 56x series movements are probably the pick of the bunch for daily use.

I’m considering buying this Constellation. It’s a 14K gold cap, stainless steel case, calibre 564 automatic from 1970.

The price is around USD1750. I know it is steep but I’m willing to pay a premium for mint timepieces in pristine condition.

I would much appreciate your thoughts regarding this Omega.

Thank you in advance.
Martin

Omega Constellation 1970 #1.jpg
Omega Constellation 1970 #2.jpg Omega Constellation 1970 #3.jpg

1750 is WAY too much for that watch. It would have to be solid gold to be worth near that much. That's a $950 watch AT MOST. I wouldn't pay more than $700 for it personally, and then put $150 into servicing it so I could wear it.

The Seamaster De Ville in your first post is a $600 watch maximum if it's already serviced and would make a nice daily wearer.

Thank you for answering. For the record, the timepiece is already serviced but I see your point.

So, which of the two models would you prefer and why?

M

So, which of the two models would you prefer and why?

The Seamaster De Ville because it's simpler and less expensive for near the same quality. While the Constellation is a chronometer, the non-chronometer calibers from the same 56x series can be adjusted / regulated to run within the same parameters. If it were my only Constellation example I'd want a pie pan. Dome dials look best in gold, like in a C-case or Grand Luxe.

Thx.

As mentioned the Pie Pan is beautiful but I’m looking for a cleaner look, that rules out the C-Case and Grand Luxe as well.

The Seamaster DeVille and Constellation I’m looking for are visually practically identical. Because I’m fond of buying quality when doing major purchases like this price is not an issue. I’m therefore leaning towards the Constellation due to the chronometer. However, I agree that the Seamaster is softer with cleaner lines.

I would like to buy within the EU and to purchase an already serviced watch. Do you guys have any good sources \ online stores?

Thank you again.
M

Yes Dennis has the clean simple class to it. A lot like a cushion Constellation.