Forums Latest Members

First Omega - Speedmaster Racing Co-Axial

1. L Tigre Oct 7, 2018

I just took delivery of my new Speedmaster Racing watch (model 329.30.44.51.01.001). This is my first ever Omega so of course I am pumped about it.

I had been wearing a Seiko Divers watch daily for the last 20 years, ever since receiving one as a gift from my wife on our first anniversary. As a 26 year old just out of grad school, that Seiko was a special “real watch” to me; I loved it and wore it almost every day for 20 years. But over time it became less and less right for daily wear, and in recent years I got the itch for something more. So recently I purchased a couple Swiss watches that I liked, including a Bell & Ross BR-03 and a Ball Aviator GMT. Enjoyable, but somehow these are secondary watches… good as alternates, but neither one is “the watch” to be worn daily for a decade or more. So I was seeking something special, something classic, something for daily wear, stainless with stainless bracelet, meant to last for decades. That was my spec as I went out shopping.

I considered going for a Rolex and especially the GMT Master II, which I really like. (And I value the GMT function, as I travel often). But somehow Rolex is not the brand for me. I am an engineer and entrepreneur. The guys I know wearing a Rolex are bankers, golf pros, country-club guys. All fine for them; but this is not my crowd. I looked at the Oris ProPilot with their in-house Calibre 114; seemed a very nice watch but I didn’t fall in love with it. I also looked closely at the Seamaster Planet Ocean. But I’m wearing a coat and tie more often now, which suddenly makes a dive watch a bit wrong. For that reason I gravitated toward something less dive-forward: the Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT. Like the Oris, the AT seemed very nice. But somehow I wasn’t inspired to pull the trigger.

So while mulling over the AT, I revisited the Speedmaster. I’ve always loved the look of the Speedmaster Professional, which I consider a true classic. But I had written it off because it didn’t have a GMT complication; and because I’m always wary of a black bezel that fades over time (as my beloved Seiko did). Then I saw the new Speedmaster racing. The 9900 movement and 44mm footprint were appealing .. and ceramic bezel! All the reviews I saw were on the orange-handed version on black strap… but if you dig you can find the new “Racing” version in a traditional moonwatch-esque look with black-face, white-hands and steel bracelet. That modern-take on a legend suddenly came into focus as the right choice. And so here it is (GMT function be damned!).

My only complaint is the chrono register hands being mirrored… wow they are hard to read. Are they that way on the original/classic SMPs?.. it’s hard to tell in pictures. Otherwise a ton to love, including daily accuracy about +0.5s per day so far. So this is my daily driver for the next decade or two. A few pics attached….

IMG_2991.jpg IMG_3018.jpg IMG_3022.jpg IMG_3043.jpg
    ShanS2k, Nachman, Vix and 6 others like this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 7, 2018

Congrats!! Great piece. The Speedy Pro in normal versions had had white Subdial hands since around 1960. Only very early ones had silver Subdial hands. Some heritage editions the past few years where silver.

Pro tip: Omegaphiles use the term SMP for the Sea Master Professional. The Speedy Pro is the moon watch ( right or wrong depending on how you define that term and which exact model) Speedy Pro, or just The Speedmaster

Welcome aboard!

3. L Tigre Oct 7, 2018

Thanks for the tip!... all this is new to me, I guess I will take a mulligan on that reference.

For me the chrono is more for fun and not anything critical, so I can squint as needed to get any elapsed time info. But all white would have made a more useful instrument.

I am also finding myself just leaving the chrono running all the time, to have a large seconds hand running. I read somewhere this is not a problem for these modern chrono; is that correct?

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 7, 2018

No, its not really an issue, you will get a little more wear on the chrono gear set, but stick to 5 year services as recommended (I believe on these) and there should be no issues.

5. Slowpoker Oct 8, 2018

I actually didn't know that this watch existed, I've seen a few racing chronographs and thought long and hard about what they were. I came to the conclusion that they were another FOIS.

It's an excellent watch and very classy, personally I would wear it with leather but each to their own.

Wear it in good health.

L Tigre likes this.
  6. time flies Oct 8, 2018

You can use the hour sub dial to follow another time zone by starting the the chrono at 1200 hrs or 2400hrs. of the second zone.

have fun
    kfw

L Tigre and midcentury like this.
  7. L Tigre Oct 8, 2018

Yeah I see a lot of good looking photos of Speedmasters on leather straps and NATOs. But somehow steel bracelet is the only option for me.

I am learning as I read forums like this one (and see all those photos) that this particular watch is maybe a tad ‘blingy’ in the details... those reflective register hands and applied markers also w reflective edges. Makes this one maybe a bit dressier than a standard Moonwatch?

8. Slowpoker Oct 8, 2018

I think it is slightly dressier than the moonwatch, but the watch would pop so much more with the right leather.

But as you said you love the bracelet, it is your watch and it looks amazing. The bracelet has its own character and sets the watch up in its own right.

9. L Tigre Oct 8, 2018

I appreciate the suggestion tho. So my path forward is clear: wait until I experience the combination of (a) some boredom from daily wear on steel and (b) no funds for an actual watch purchase to mitigate boredom. At that time, I will give it a go with a nice strap and see how it dresses up!

10. jaguar11 Oct 8, 2018

Looks great. A really nice piece, congratulations and welcome. Wear and enjoy in the best of health!!!!

L Tigre likes this.