Forums Latest Members

First Omega - Speedmaster Chocolate Dial

1. TomV Jul 23, 2017

Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy my first Omega watch. After quite a lot of research I think I've narrowed it down to the Speedmaster given the iconic design and history behind it. This will be a watch I wear regularly with smart and casual clothes. It needs to be hard wearing, not too delicate and ideally something that holds its value in the future with reasonable wear.

I love the idea of owning a vintage Speedmaster, but I'm concerning about wearing a vintage as a daily watch that's too collectible and delicate with a value dependent on its condition. So as an alternative I was looking at more modern Speedmasters that are a little rarer and perhaps will give me less trouble over many years. I came across this Omega Speedmaster Chrocolate Brown Dial 35735000 on eBay which looks to fit what I'm looking for quite well:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Spe...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Before I go ahead and enquire about this watch, I wanted to ask your opinions on this particular model. Is this a good model? Do any of you have this watch and wear it regularly? Is it wiser to go for a newer model like this over a vintage Speedmaster in terms of long-lasting trouble free use, holding value etc... or can a vintage Speedmaster work just as well for daily use? My budget is around £3,000.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys have :)

Tom

lhawli and Tet like this.
  2. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jul 23, 2017

I'm no expert but I think that's a lovely edition for the money and you certainly don't see many around at all. If you like it then go for it, the exhibition back is always nice with the Speedy, I guess that's a sapphire sandwich.

The classic is a classic from vintage to modern, but it's always nice to have something a little more unusual IMO.

TomV likes this.
  3. KJH666 Jul 23, 2017

The price seems fair, but it is difficult to get a feel for the chocolate brown dial from those photos. Seems very unusual for such a relatively new watch to have gone brown, this is normally something that happens over 50 years or so.

4. lillatroll Jul 23, 2017

::facepalm1::

Vercingetorix, Foo2rama and kov like this.
  5. KJH666 Jul 23, 2017

Troll by name, troll by nature

6. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jul 23, 2017

::facepalm1::

Foo2rama and kov like this.
  7. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jul 23, 2017

Educate yourself before calling another member a troll please .

Vercingetorix, Foo2rama and kov like this.
  8. KJH666 Jul 23, 2017

I genuinely didn't know that Omega had issued brown dialled moonwatches in recent years. The images on e-bay are dreadful.

The other guy could have corrected me instead of putting up a stupid emoji.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 23, 2017

To elaborate, he wasn't trolling but was rather disappointed that you offered an opinion on a watch you didn't know anything about, in this case a reference
    311.32.42.30.13.001 which comes with a factory chocolate dial. You're relatively new here, please don't start calling people trolls after only a month.

Vercingetorix and Foo2rama like this.
  10. KJH666 Jul 23, 2017

Okay, apologies. I am more familiar with the tropical dials that occur on 50 year old Speedmasters, Submariners and Sea-dwellers in certain unique conditions. I confess that I am not an authority on the hundreds of references pumped out by Omega in recent years.

11. TomV Jul 23, 2017

Great thanks for sharing your opinion!

Yes I'm particularly interested in owning a model that is alittle rarer than usual.

Is there anything particular I should be questioning the seller about prior to purchasing? I've never bought a secondhand watch at this price before so I'd be interested to hear any tips from you guys. Thanks!

12. lillatroll Jul 23, 2017

My apologies. I thought that you were making a subtle joke. The refrence number was mentioned in the ad.
    You are right, I should have pointed out the mistake in the thread. We all make mistakes and I have made my fair share. Again my apologies.
    Kind regards
    Stuart

Spacefruit likes this.
  13. joerg Jul 23, 2017

Good choice. What I like is with the brown dialed Speedys is the glass to see the movement.
    Best for me would be to change the bezel to a silver one! Than put a vintage strap on and its perfect.

TomV likes this.
  14. Matt87 Jul 23, 2017

IMHO it is a beautiful watch... It isn't the classic moon watch but it has a beautiful chocolate dial and it has sapphire crystal and a sapphire case back!! The price is not the best one that you can find, but it is fair enough!!

TomV likes this.
  15. KJH666 Jul 23, 2017

Many thanks Stuart, but apologies not required.

I over reacted for which I do apologise. I must admit I don't even know the reference of the watch I have on now, something that resembles a mobile phone number. My 105.003-64 is a little easier.

Hopefully, we can get over this and move on.

Best Regards,
    Ken

IMG_1541.JPG
    Spacefruit, kov, lillatroll and 2 others like this.
  16. TomV Jul 23, 2017

Just as a comparison, I came across this newer Speedmaster dated 2015 which looks to be in excellent condition with all the original bits and just alittle more expensive than the chocolate dial edition I mentioned above:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=222585548476&globalID=EBAY-GBPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Comparing the 2 watches, which would you guys consider is a better purchase in terms of future collectibility, everyday use and what it comes with (chocolate dial has original strap but new box and without original papers though certified)?

17. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jul 23, 2017

There's a reason these brown dial speedmasters are rare. They didn't sell many so they were discontinued after about five years.
    They're not everybody's cup of tea, something to consider if you ever want to move it in the future.

18. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jul 23, 2017

Depends what you like. The photos from that sales post of the choc dial don't reflect the dial colour very well, Google images is your friend there. Also do you like the idea of the hesalite of the original which gives a slightly softer look but can scratch easily (but can also be polished easily)? Or do you prefer the near scratch proof sapphire of the brown, together with the exhibition caseback to admire the workings?
    [EDIT]just noticed the other one you linked to is a sapphire sandwich aswell [EDIT]

If it was my decision I would probably be slightly more tempted by the brown dial, but I do like things a little different so that would be a large part. I think at their respective prices there either would be a star bet to lose very little of anything if you decided to sell later on.

Good luck, you can't go wrong with either I think.

Edited Jul 23, 2017
    TomV likes this.
  19. TomV Jul 23, 2017

Ok, thanks for the info. Yes I wondered how desirable it is to others if I ever decided to sell it. Though hopefully that wont be necessary as I want a solid watch that'll last me a lifetime.

What would you guys say is a fair price to offer on it if I go ahead, or would you recommend going for less rare but more complete 2015 model I linked above?

20. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jul 23, 2017

The choc dial could probably do with a service so take that into account. You could have it serviced through SWATCH which would bring it back like new and give you useful paperwork incase of future resale. Allow close to £500 for that though off the top of my head. You could try offering £2.5k and mention it would need a service, would then make a nice deal at 3k IMO with assurance of a full service and 2 year guarantee that comes with that.

TomV likes this.