Forums Latest Auctions Members

First Omega, Seamaster Cosmic Pre-Buy. Opinions ?

1. mchanif

mchanif Feb 11, 2019

Hi,

First timer here. I am about to buy my first vintage omega, a Seamaster Cosmic. Would you guys be so kind to provide me with your opinions ? The watch has the Cal 613 Movement. Any tips before I buy ? Should I insist on getting the seller to open the case for me to inspect on the movement ?

What is the fair price on your opinion and what should I do once I bought the watch say if I bought it.

Thanks

cal 613 1.jpg cal 613 2.jpg cal 613 3.jpg cal 613 4.jpg image.png
  2. rincondeltiempo

rincondeltiempo Feb 11, 2019

Welcome to the forum,

First, to me it appears to be a redial (but I could be wrong, I don't know enough about this specific reference) because if you take a look at the crosshair terminations on the indices, you could see that the one at 9 doesnt even touch it, meanwhile the others do.
    Cushion cases are less desirable than those with the most common round case, so take that into account.
    Regarding the movement, of course, insist the seller on sending you pictures of it. Do that ALWAYS, as it is where you can get hurt the most (money wise).
    Nevertheless I would like to see what the experts on the forum think!

Cheers,
    Javi.

mchanif likes this.
  3. Rochete

Rochete Feb 11, 2019

Crown not Omega. Crystal in bad shape. Dial seems to have issues but pics not good enough to properly judge. No movement pic... I would pass on this one, there are many Cosmics around.

mchanif and connieseamaster like this.
  4. Edward53

Edward53 Feb 12, 2019

I think the crown might be Omega as there is something on it, I just can't see what from this angle. The scratched crystal is not that big an issue and might well polish out. It is not always possible to get movement pics of Cosmics as many (most?) of them require a special tool to open the case. However, although I think the dial is original, it looks as if the 9 marker has been incorrectly replaced, hence the short crosshair line. That would kill it for me.

mchanif likes this.
  5. Rochete

Rochete Feb 12, 2019

Also main markers (12, 9, 6) look like they've been clumsily repainted.

6. Chi_spur

Chi_spur Feb 12, 2019

Being a front loader, those without the proper tools or expertise can end up causing damage by attempting access to the movement of these models so you may have to concede that purchasing a Cosmic might mean not seeing images of the movement. That being said, I'd definitely want images of the caseback to check the legibility of the hippocampus logo and reference inscription.

connieseamaster likes this.
  7. dan7800

dan7800 Feb 12, 2019

I'd pass. My GUESS is that the dial is legit, but it's tough to tell from the photos.

Newbies looking for black dials are a dime a dozen. 90% are probably redials.

If you want to make sure that you get a good watch at a good price, you're going to have to do your homework.

8. Passover

Passover Feb 12, 2019

Hi Javi,
    as far as I know this kind of cases are called "C Case" and not "Cushion case" ;)

EDIT: Or am I wrong? :whistling:

EDIT: The C in C-Case stands for Cushion? ::shy::::facepalm1::

Edited Feb 12, 2019
  9. kingsrider

kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Feb 12, 2019

The question is, how much?. I think the watch is all original except maybe the crystal. Crystal seems to be causing distortion around the second indices which makes it appear to be a redial. It has the It has the T SWISS T. Missing lume at minute indices. Minute hands is bent. IMO the crown is good.There are two case sizes in this style. You want the case that has 19mm spacing between the lugs. The other case is a few mm smaller but it makes a huge difference between the two.

My no date version
    2016-10-20 005.JPG