Forums Latest Members
  1. Uncle Seiko Aug 29, 2015

If you were to recommend an Omega to a friend whose price range tops off at about $2k, which model would you recommend? (he likes chronographs and not into dress watches). ;) What would you say is a good "starter watch" as an introduction to Omega?

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 29, 2015

Speedmaster Mark II

IMG_20150608_192550.jpg

Uncle Seiko likes this.
  3. Uncle Seiko Aug 30, 2015

I love it. And I think it is a great possibility!

(I guess guys on the forum get tired of answering this question!)

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 30, 2015

That's depends on what your friend likes. I'm not a big sportswatch guy. Prefer the dressier (and smaller) Omegas.

Steel, gold plated/capped or solid gold? That will have an effect on value for money as well.

You can get a lot of watch for $2K if you aren't insistent on gold. Maybe even if you are...

https://omegaforums.net/threads/f-s...ter-automatic-2848-2846-sc.28803/#post-322245

gatorcpa

5. Uncle Seiko Aug 30, 2015

Thanks Gator! I am the friend, and you are helping ME :)

I like the Speedmaster, love the vintage models like 176.007 and the "soccer" models. Just wondering if there is a great introductory watch that there is a consensus over. Like, you must have "this model" if you are just starting out.

6. lillatroll Aug 30, 2015

There is something for everyone, buy the watch that brings out the biggest smile when you see it, but a lot of people on here will say moon watch. (not me I think they are blaaah )

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 30, 2015

There is one, but it's going to run you more than $2K. That's the original Moonwatch. To me, the offshoots are all acquired tastes and you may have a hard time selling them if your tastes change. The Moonwatch is a classic for over 50 years and will always be in demand.

Note that this is coming from someone who doesn't own one and likely never will.
    gatorcpa

PS - I would recommend saving your pennies and nickels and buy a new one from an Omega AD when you are ready. You think the frankewatching problems with Constellations and Seamasters are bad...:eek: