Forums Latest Members

First Omega purchase - couple quick questions about in the wild experiences

1. YetiOne Mar 14, 2019

Hello everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm an about-to-be-30 something who's working my way up in the business world and am looking at upgrading my watch as a gift to myself. I've always gravitated to Omega over other big names and really look forward to joining the club.... but I'm considering 3 different models and am hoping to hear something from the current owners regarding how they fit my "in the wild" criteria.

- Must have a good level of recognition. I regularly deal with clients/customers sporting high-end luxury & sports watches, and hope to make a favorable impression on them with my own choice. This is among my primary reasons for buying, and hearing from owners how their watches are, or are not, recognized organically in the wild is my primary reason for this post.

- Must look good in a suit, and preferably, also around the resort. So nothing too far in the formal or informal direction. Again this is an area where what I can read advertised on the Omega site may be different than the in the wild experience of owners.

I'm considering, in order of preference (even though the order can be shuffled based on my mood....)

1. Speedy Pro
    2. SM Aqua Terra
    3. SM 300M Diver

Thank you for any input you can provide. Frankly, if I receive a significant response indicating the Speedy Pro is regularly recognized in the wild and appreciated I'm leaning in that direction. I just don't know if it can hang with the more attention-grabbing Seamasters.... and obv I can wear the SM's in the pool.

Thank you for any input you can provide!

2. Shabbaz Mar 14, 2019

Funny. I own a lot of high end watches but nobody noticed it in all those years. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Anyway, I would'nt go modern if I really wanted to make a impressive impression on other people. Needless to say I'm the one who impress people, not the watch. :D

There's always somebody in the room with more money or a more expensive watch so I would go with a watch with soul and a good story. I think people are more interested in that then just a plain (expensive) sub.

Anyway, long story. I would go with the speedy if I had to choose... It got the best story.

Good luck!

3. DiiQue I don't believe that is possible. Mar 14, 2019

Have you tried the watches on the wrist yet? If not, I highly recommend doing that before you commit as the feel may make or break the watch for you.

4. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 14, 2019

How refreshing for a new member to give a proper intro and some background and with such honesty. Welcome to the forum you should fit in well.
    I appreciate what you are trying to find and a lot of us have been where you are in our younger days.

In my opinion Omega generally tend to be understated elegance as opposed to flashy and attention grabbing and I have rarely had anyone comment on any of my watches overtly although I am sure they have noticed both consciously and subconsciously.

Pick one that fits you and your personality and that you really like. The quality will stand out even if people don’t recognise that exact model.

Dedalus05, dan7800 and CJpickup57 like this.
  5. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 14, 2019

Pick one that You really like & enjoy... if choosing a Speedmaster, I wouldn't hesitate and buy the 50 years Apollo 11 Steel version !

6. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 14, 2019

Oh and give yourself an avatar before an older established member takes exception :thumbsup:

kkt likes this.
  7. Shankified Mar 14, 2019

Is there a steel version too???

8. Shankified Mar 14, 2019

I’m relatively new to the game myself. Bought my first serious watch 4 years ago but knew nothing about watches or brands. Picked up a SM AquaTerra GMT chronograph and later the SM AquaTerra 15007 Gauss (LE Spectre) watch. But I wish I had bought the Snoopy watch back then.

If any of these watches fit like a glove, I’d recommend the first Omega in Space watch. This, IMO, will go well with a suit and has the vintage looks made for the modern man and times.

Just my opinion.

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 14, 2019

All decent choices. Can’t really go wrong with any of them for your needs.

Have you looked the globemaster?

10. Royal68 Mar 14, 2019

Congrats on reaching that milestone in your life! Want to start off by saying that all 3 are very good choices.
    1. The speedmaster is without a doubt the most iconic omega watches out there. Will definitely be recognizable by others who know the omega brand. Would definitely say that the speedy is on the more dressy side.
    2. The Aqua Terra is one of my personal favorites (bond sky fall blue in 38.5mm) but it’s very under the radar and a very dressy watch. Where as the speedy can somewhat be dressed down the Aqua Terra would be hard to achieve the same look.
    3. The SM 300 diver is also a very popular choice and will be the most sporty model out of these 3. I think of these as the Omega equalivant to a Rolex Submariner. I would personally recommend you take a look at Omega Planet Oceans as they also look very good dressed up but very classy and laid back when dressed down.

Wouldn’t wear Speedy or Aqua Terra to the pool. Way out of place for those two.

11. Adb_85 Mar 14, 2019

Go with what grabs you and not what you think will grab other people. And good luck!

kkt and MRC like this.
  12. YetiOne Mar 14, 2019

Thanks for that. I hadn't really considered going with an older model, I'll explore that as well.

13. YetiOne Mar 14, 2019

I have not, and I reserve the right to change all of my opinions once I have them in the flesh!

14. YetiOne Mar 14, 2019

Thank you! I look forward to contributing.... and I'll work on that Avatar :thumbsup:

Gav1967 likes this.
  15. YetiOne Mar 14, 2019

I was looking specifically at the Saphire Crystal model for scratch resistance qualities - should I be avoiding that?

16. YetiOne Mar 14, 2019

Thanks for weighing in. That Snoopy Watch is great !! Wish I had that budget.

Shankified likes this.
  17. Dan S Mar 14, 2019

I agree that you should just buy what appeals to you most. Nobody will notice it.

18. YetiOne Mar 14, 2019

Actually, yes! I really liked the white faced/grey Globemaster.... my wife did not.

Foo2rama likes this.
  19. YetiOne Mar 14, 2019

Thank you very much!

I'll check out the Planet Ocean models as well... they're very sharp. Interesting to hear you wouldn't wear the AT in the pool, I thought that was one of the perks of that model.

20. BradleyJ. Mar 14, 2019

My wife doesn't even notice if I have a new watch...... that's called doing it right ;)

kkt and Shankified like this.