Forums Latest Members

First Omega: PO 39.5, or Diver 300M midsize?

1. elTango Mar 10, 2021

This is my first post here (and only my second on any forum), so please go easy on me....!

I’m looking for my first Omega, and am looking for a beater / weekend / holiday watch - something sturdy I don’t need to worry too much about when playing with the kids, and something I can wear in the pool or at the beach (I definitely don’t need 600M, so that’s not a factor between them).
    I have very small wrists (6”), so size is a factor but I think I can pull off either the 39.5mm PO or the 36mm of the Diver 300M midsize (I don’t think I can pull off the 42mm on the most recent Diver 300M). [my main point of reference is my Yacht Master 126622 (40mm) which I think looks fine on my wrist size wise]

I really like the styling of the PO, and was close to buying that, but then my research led me to finding the Diver 300M midsize. I like the latter for a number of reasons - I like the smaller size, I like the styling, and it’s cheaper (I’d buy preowned) so it getting scratched etc. wouldn’t be so big a deal.
    However, I’ve never bought a second hand watch before, so I’m a little worried generally regarding that process, and I’m specifically unsure about the water resistance if you can’t be sure about the history, and whether one would need to get it serviced to ensure the seals are ok (driving up the cost, and offsetting the cheaper price point....).

I’m not super worried about getting the latest movement necessarily, or the resale value with this part of my (small but growing) collection, but I know I’d prefer the bracelet and ability to adjust on the PO, but that’s not a decider for me on its own.

Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated - I hope my thoughts above make some sense....

Thanks in advance!

2. kip595 Mar 10, 2021

I wore a mid-size as my daily for years - actually just let another go last autumn - I'm a fan of them, but will say that IMO they do wear slightly smaller than the P.O. in most variations. That said the P.O. is also a fantastic watch.

As far as pre-owned, in this instance you may be better off going through a dealer for assurance of specs (pressure test, etc.) - you'll pay a bit more, but there is less risk in most cases and many dealers, at least the reputable ones, offer very decent warranties on pre-owned pieces that come out of their shop.

Good luck and let us know what you get!

elTango likes this.
  3. OmegaFan503 Mar 10, 2021

PO 39.5mm, but I am biased though :)

IMG_20210226_120311.jpg
    elTango likes this.
  4. dsp52 Mar 10, 2021

I recently bought a new 300M, and I am very pleased with the watch. It is my first Omega, and I love the look of the watch. I wanted the PO at first, but decided it was too much money for my budget. If you're wanting a case size under 40mm, then the 39.5mm PO is probably the way to go. I have a larger wrist size (7.5), so the 42mm 300M is a good for me. I decided to buy new at an AD because I didn't trust buying a pre-owned watch online. Good luck!

elTango likes this.
  5. elTango Mar 11, 2021

Thanks for this, and definitely noted re: buying from a dealer. Any recommendations to use / avoid...?

6. elTango Mar 11, 2021

Ha! Looks great!

OmegaFan503 likes this.
  7. fendushi Mar 11, 2021

A midsize Semaster is an awesome beater, very comfortable to wear all day. I still love mine even though I have a new Speedy to play with.

20210124_173954.jpg 20210205_210438.jpg
    elTango and Opti like this.
  8. cknight24 Mar 11, 2021

My 2531.80 is currently out for service. I miss it ... it definitely wears nice and slim on the wrist. People seem to either love or hate the bracelet, but I love it.

elTango likes this.
  9. elTango Mar 11, 2021

Thanks for the response - pics look great!

fendushi likes this.
  10. Zanzibar Mar 11, 2021

you can find reliable dealers on C24 for any of those 2 watches. it really is a question of personal taste and choice however you might have better chances to find a mid sized sm300 for a bargain as they're less popular than the po.
    good luck !

elTango likes this.
  11. kip595 Mar 11, 2021

What part of the world are you in? I know customs/duty knocks some dealers out of the running for some of us.

*And sorry if you said it somewhere that I missed!

elTango likes this.
  12. elTango Mar 12, 2021

I’d actually probably buy the PO new if I went down that route - already negotiated a decent price that includes rubber strap there, so now it’s just which one do I go for...
    re SM300M mid size, I have seen some decent ones on C24, so pending whether I can get comfortable with buying used, I feel ok there....

13. elTango Mar 12, 2021

Just outside London, UK, so easiest would be UK / EU dealer, but would be open to 20% VAT / customs charge (I think that’s what it is) if the price from elsewhere work out similar. Obviously being able to go in person to collect is nicer, and easier if there are any issues.....

kip595 likes this.
  14. Zanzibar Mar 12, 2021

Well 39,5 PO with a nice discount at an AD seems like a good plan then.
    Post a pic when you have it on your wrist !

elTango likes this.
  15. kip595 Mar 12, 2021

As a happenstance, I actually got my very first Omega mid-size - first Omega at all, actually - from a small shoppe in the Great Western Arcade in Birmingham, but it's been gone a few years now I believe.

There used to be quite a few places that had decent estate pieces in the Strand not too far from the Savoy, but unfortunately I've not been to London since well before the pandemic - not certain what's left now :/

As others have said however, a discounted P.O. from boutique or AD is unlikely to disappoint!

elTango likes this.
  16. elTango Mar 12, 2021

I think I’m going to try to organise to see them both in person on the same day when the UK comes out of lockdown... Will post a pic when purchased.....! Thank you very much for your input, really appreciated

17. elTango Mar 12, 2021

Yeah, I’m not sure what the situation is going to be like in London... As I said to Zanzibar, I’m going to try to line up seeing them both on the same day (PO at AD, and 300M mid size at a Watchfinder (I hope they have in stock so I can try it!)) - if I like the PO sounds like that’s your recommendation too, so....... Will let you know what I end up doing (probably not until mid / end April until shops all open up in the UK.... :mad:). Thanks for the input, really appreciated

18. IanF Mar 13, 2021

I too have small wrists - about your size. I wanted a new watch, as opposed to 2nd hand so my choice balled down to 39.5 PO or 42mm SMP. I went for the PO and am very happy with it. Couldn’t get a discount with my local AD (I’m in SW London). I was offered a 20% discount by an AD near Oxford but it was virtually impossible for me to get there as I don’t drive and the town the AD is in doesn’t have a train station

elTango likes this.
  19. elTango Mar 13, 2021

Lots of votes going for the 39.5mm PO.... I’ve been looking through the rest of the forum and I really do like the look of the pictures being posted - hopefully it doesn’t look too big on my wrist....! @IanF I saw you posted a picture of the thickness on another thread, and it really didn’t look thick at all too me - on the contrary it looks great! I don’t suppose your mind posting some more pictures here would you please, so I can see on a similar wrist size to mine....?! (I’ve negotiated around 11% off watch and strap, which I think is reasonable... ::confused2::::shy::)

20. IanF Mar 13, 2021

Sure. Here’s a few more pics. It wears bigger than my Speedmaster Reduced (38mm case) but not too big. My wrist is 5cm across so I need a lug-to-lug measurement of no more than 50mm to avoid ir looking stupid. PO manages that ok.

EAD7E952-D9DD-4E09-A38D-3BAEE030FF2D.jpeg 2CD0B0AD-39D3-4017-B184-A71DE9759BEA.jpeg 852016CB-5954-4BD4-8DB0-AC8AA8B6496B.jpeg

elTango likes this.