Forums Latest Members
  1. Traveler Sep 6, 2015

My Father-in-Law just gave me his watch with a lovely "welcome to the family"....

I need to get it serviced, as it stopped working after he 'watered the plants with it' :eek:... I also need to swap the Fixoflex bracelet out ( I have a nice OEM crocodile strap at home which should do the trick nicely ).

I think it's a wonderful looking watch - one amazing part is that the obvservatory on the back has almost disappeared, not through an over zealous polisher, but through 60 years of daily wear!

I'm really excited about getting this fixed up so that Mrs Traveler and I can enjoy wearing it.

Any advice and thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

pmontoyap, PatrickJ, Waynepjr and 4 others like this.
  2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 6, 2015

You should have more than one father in law like him.
    Congrats on a nice 2852 constellation with shark teeth markers. A rare late production with Chronometer ending with ER.

Traveler likes this.
  3. Traveler Sep 6, 2015

This is my second one already, but hopefully he's a keeper! I can't afford any more alimony ( unless I give up watches :confused: :rolleyes: )....

But seriously, thanks for the I information, I hadn't thought about the 'ER' versus the 'RE'... This was delivered to Argentina, where my wife is from, so it's interesting to see what I assume is an Anglicized spelling there... Thanks!

4. Traveler Sep 18, 2015

image.jpg Just back from service - what a great watch!

image.jpg

5. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Sep 18, 2015

Very nice piece!

PatrickJ and Traveler like this.
  6. JohnSteed Sep 18, 2015

Nice Connie. Nice FiL!!

7. TNTwatch Sep 18, 2015

That's a very good service turn around time. :thumbsup: Guess no part was damaged because of that watering incident.

Traveler likes this.
  8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Sep 18, 2015

I love vintage Constellations. Great watch. Thanks for the photos and the story.

Traveler likes this.
  9. Traveler Sep 18, 2015

The story is even a step better - something got lost in my pitiful understanding of the original Spanish - my wife just explained to me that the watch actually belonged to her grandfather (her Mother's Father ) - it was passed by him to my wife's Father when he married into the family .... So he thought it was even more appropriate to do the same, with me - especially as I liked Omegas... pretty cool, and makes it even more special!

pmontoyap and noelekal like this.
  10. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 19, 2015

great watch, great story -congratulations!

you do realise that you are going to be obliged to pass it on to your son in law if ever you have one......? (or daughter in law to be politically correct)
    you might have 20+ years custodian-ship but I'd get used to that idea now.....;)

Traveler likes this.
  11. Waynepjr Sep 19, 2015

Great watch and story. Just an honest vintage watch that has been worn as intended. Wear in good health!

Traveler likes this.
  12. Ecodelosandes Sep 21, 2015

Hello Traveler,
    I'm from Argentina too, that's a great looking Connie!
    Do you know that Traveler is the name of one of the great Julio Cortazar's best known novel "Rayuela" protagonist? Just a curiosity being married with an Argentinian woman.
    Best regards

Miguel

13. Marlowe Sep 21, 2015

Nice Connie. Looks unpolished with nice case. Post a movement photo whenever you get round to opening the back...

14. Traveler Sep 21, 2015

I did not! Thank you I will look it up..,

15. kflo Sep 21, 2015

wow, lovely

16. Traveler Sep 21, 2015

Will do - yes the case has never been polished - but the observatory has been polished off through decades of daily wear ! When I showed my FIL a crisp example in a photo, he said "Ah yes, I remember last seeing it like that about 30 years ago!" .... Or something approximately like that