Forums Latest Members
  1. TheCajun May 22, 2013

I finally graduated from lawschool a few days ago and out of nowhere I get this omega seamaster. this is m first vintage watch and I know very little about it. I'm excited to have it, regardless of value, and would like to know what I have have here. I dont know how to take the caseback off, so no numbers Or pics of inside. To my knowledge it was purchased originally by a family member who was the sole owner. It was not serviced before being given to me, but keeps time to about the exact second over a full day.
    Dial seems champagne, few freckles in center. Caseback clearly reads 14k gold filled. Any thought would be much appreciated- Case, movement, date, value, what kind of replacement strap, any chance of old redial....?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Varasc likes this.
  2. Lex4TDI4Life May 22, 2013

Congrats on making it through the horrors of law school. Just graduated myself.

I love the case style of that Seamaster, but I am pretty sure the dial has been refinished. Either way, it is bound to have significant sentimental value. Wear it in good health!

TheCajun likes this.
  3. TheCajun May 22, 2013

Thanks Lex, and congrats to you as well.

Anyone have ideas on case ref, movement, or date?

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 22, 2013

agree redial, and i think the hands are replacement also. if the csaeback says 14k gold filled, I'm going to guess it was a local production model (i.e. the case was made in the US by local Omega agents). this means that the case number often isn't in the omega database.

TheCajun likes this.
  5. TheCajun May 22, 2013

That would explain my trouble finding the case or another like it. Sad to hear it's likely a redial, but I had my suspicions. Can I ask what stood out as redial, the font or the color or what? Just trying to learn. And I guess being a local production case would make it less collectable...?

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 22, 2013

The fonts are not correct, the printing is poor, not sharp, smudgy. S in Seamaster poorly made. Missing Swiss or Swiss Made (for this age watch).
    One would prefer a nice original dial, however, at this point there is nothing to lose so you are free to have a quality refinishing of the dial.

TheCajun likes this.
  7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 22, 2013

What is obvious is the script and font. It is too thick, and the Seamaster writing style is not right.
    There is also no 'swiss made' writing at the bottom....and the minute markers are too thick.

However, overall it is a nice watch. The hour markers and the lugs style are very nice.
    Don't be too worry about collectibility..... I trust you don't want to sell it.......the sentimental value is priceless by itself.
    My advice: bring it to watchmaker to check whether it needs service and oiling to make sure another long years of wearability until you decide to pass it to someone else you love.

TheCajun likes this.
  8. TheCajun May 22, 2013

Thanks for the advice. I will have it checked for service and definitely won't ever sell it. I really like it anyway, and hopefully it wont be long until I can buy my first original.

9. 124watchfan May 24, 2013

Where does TheCajun call home?

10. TheCajun May 25, 2013

South Louisiana....

11. 124watchfan May 25, 2013

Baton Rouge? I'm from lafayette.

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 25, 2013

Wonderful area.

13. 124watchfan May 27, 2013

Indeed.