Forums Latest Members

First Omega, brand new Seamaster and a few questions.

1. Lucky45 Jul 16, 2015

So ever since seeing Goldeneye I've always wanted a blue Seamaster. After 20 years I've finally broke down a bought one last night. So far I'm loving it!

Now for the question...

I noticed when I got home they pitted the sizing screws. Is this something to be expected? Or is a legitimate complaint for the Jeweler? I got it at local Jared in Las Vegas, NV and have been buying watches from them for years. Oddly when buying this Seamaster the whole experience was awful - unprofessional sales person that knew nothing about Omegas and now the sizing damage.

Thoughts?

20150716_190735.jpg
    20150716_190635.jpg

2. wsfarrell Jul 16, 2015

They should definitely replace the damaged screw(s) for free.

Lucky45 and oddboy like this.
  3. italy1861 Jul 16, 2015

Same thing happened to me at Jared in Phoenix 2001.. Some employees shouldn't resize a bracelet.. Take it back and they should take care of it... My Speedy Pro didn't have screws.. They had to replace the bracelet in my case...

Lucky45 likes this.
  4. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 16, 2015

First of all, congratulations on becoming the owner of a truly spectacular watch! Even with the dinged-up screws it's sure to keep you smiling

But no, the screws in that condition are not acceptable. Get your watch back to the shop as soon as possible and give them a chance to make things right.

Lucky45 likes this.
  5. blubarb Jul 17, 2015

Legit complaint. Get it back and don't be too nice as they should know better!

Lucky45 likes this.
  6. blubarb Jul 17, 2015

Sorry, but I should have firstly added, congratulations on the purchase of this beautiful watch. Please keep us updated on events. I have one in my small and modest collection that certainly gets good wrist time action.

Lucky45 likes this.
  7. shutterlife Jul 17, 2015

Congratulations on your new Seamaster, I got ming 15 years ago, and it's still a part of my rotation.

As for the screw damage, it is totally unacceptable, and they should have it fixed at no charge.

Lucky45 likes this.
  8. ConElPueblo Jul 18, 2015

[​IMG]

Lucky bastard.

9. Fer Seamaster Jul 18, 2015

Untrained personnel in some watch and jewelery shops seems a common issue...

You should complain and get your screw replaced and the bracelet revised.

Lucky45 likes this.
  10. Lucky45 Jul 18, 2015

Just to give you guys an update. After a bit of a runaround I got in touch with the general manager for the store. Nice guy with a passion for watches. Anyways, all the seamaster(s) in-store were not in acceptable condition. So they're ordering me a brand new, untouched one directly from Omega and letting me keep the damaged one until it arrives (6-8 weeks). He also gave us a 200$ gift card for the hassle + he let me switch to the black face instead of the blue.

It seems Jared is only allowed to order so many Omega watches per year so when a store says they're going to "order" you one it's most likely coming from another store. It was surprising and sad how beat up they were. I've got a couple watches in my collection that are 20+ years old in way better condition. Lesson learned - never buying a high end time peice from Jared again...

TexasKevin and nickioa like this.
  11. nickioa Jul 19, 2015

Seems like a fair resolution, shame about the poor service initially though.

Lucky45 likes this.
  12. chickenman26 Jul 19, 2015

With the boutique right there in the Bellagio, I'm surprised you went to Jared's in the first place. Did you get a decent discount from them? Maybe I'm just suspicious by nature, but something just doesn't seem right here. If they're an AD, they should have your new watch in less than 2 weeks. 6 to 8 weeks is ridiculous...almost as ridiculous as the idea that rather than replacing the damaged screw, they'll allow you to wear the blue one for 8 weeks, then swap you straight across for a BNIB black one. I'd feel more comfy if that was in writing. I'm also wondering how those other unsold Seamasters got beat up. Regardless, I'd be taking the new watch when it comes in directly to the boutique without passing GO or collecting $200 (pardon the pun) to have the bracelet sized. One good thing in all of this is that they accepted responsibility for the damage. They could have just as easily claimed that you caused it after you got the watch home.

Edited Jul 19, 2015
    Lucky45 likes this.
  13. Lucky45 Jul 19, 2015

Bellagio is full retail and Jared is 20% off + I have a credit account with Jared and get special financing + they're doing a special rewards promo. The manager explained the watches get moved from store to store as needed so they can scratched up. As we were examining the others you could tell he was irritated with their condition. One thing the boutique does that Jared doesn't is wrap them in clear shrink wrap to protect them while on display. It's a good idea but hard to get a true feel for the actual color of the face etc...

Even being an AD, corporate just doesn't allow the individual stores to order new Omega inventory whenever they want. Inventory is checked from other stores when something is needed first. The 6 - 8 weeks is the time he submit the order to corporate and they in turn order it from Omega. They actually had one of the new James Bond piece on hand - the watch itself comes in a small clear box that's medically sealed. The presentation box is all package separately. That particular timepiece took 3 and a half months to get in.

The reason I'm allowed to keep the damaged one is they're just going to send it back as defective anyways. Plus he was really trying to make me happy - he openly admitted his staff was unprofessional in the whole situation (a lot more happened then just the damage and it was clearly shown on camera). I made a big deal of this on social media and I buy a lot from them. A few detailed emails with corporate can do wonders in situations like this. lol

I have OCD and can be a bit extreme which is why I asked you guys if this damage was tolerable. Luckily the manager is a watch enthusiast as well so I didn't have to convince him of anything - he openly said he wouldn't be happy with the piece either. All I expected was a refund or the watch sent in for repair. He's the one that actually offered to order a new one. He truly was a nice guy that really cared about what happened. Even with the hassle of everything I'm happy with the outcome. I saved a couple bucks, get to wear a nice watch for a couple weeks I don't have to worry about scratching and I get a truly brand new timepiece nobody else has worn...

14. chickenman26 Jul 19, 2015

I think I'll stay clear of threads like this from now on. Glad it worked out for you.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  15. Lucky45 Jul 19, 2015

Not sure what prompted the "I'll stay clear of threads like this" comment but thanks for the input...

16. nickioa Jul 20, 2015

How are you getting on with your new purchase? I'm currently sat on the fence about buying the same model (I assume yours is # 212.30.41.20.03.001).

17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 20, 2015

@ Lucky.

I'll tell you this much. That screw is not the result of moving watches from store to store, that screw is the result of sizing the watch which should or would only take place if it had been sold already before and it's a return, in which case they HAVE to give you the discount because they cannot sell as new.

Here's another bad news...most boutiques if pressed will also give you 20 or 25% off.

Here's even more...you should not be given display models but rather new ones

And last piece of bad news...new ones will come with protective wrapping and stickers and if they're not there then....they're not new or they are display models which then....are normally sold "as they are" for, yes, about 25% discount.

So the jewelry store, as nice as they where to you, us running a racket, unless they openly accept they are selling you a used or returned watch or display model.

Oh, last piece of bad news...legit AD will source new warches often from closest boutique which in Vegas is close enough not to warrant 8 weeks and even with the United states it's fairly close...so I am just guessing Jarred is actually a grey dealer...and given the state you describe those watchss perhaps on the darker shade of grey....or lighter shade of black...because one faulty watchnis one thing, all of them is a sourcing issue...and faults like sized bracelet do not happen accidentally as no one...no one will size a bracelet unless you buy the watch.

My advice....get your money returned amd go to he boutique or a reputable dealer of any colour that has a good record.

chickenman26 likes this.
  18. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 20, 2015

19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 21, 2015

Well, somethings not quite right with the way they are handling things or where they're sourcing their watches from, because that's the first time I hear and AD has all their "new" watches on some sort of second hand disrepair, stripped of protective wrapping and basically selling damaged display models....

But hey, I guess what happens in Vegas....

20. Lucky45 Jul 22, 2015

I totally agree with you BUT since I'm getting the watch for less then 2K now I'll deal with the inconvenience for a few more weeks.

I'm kinda surprised you saying boutiques give a discount. The one at Bellagio wasn't showing me any love. I actually went to them first...

The damage on MY watch was done when they were sizing it. I agree with you that display models shouldn't be sold as new under any circumstance. Once I receive my replacement I'll contact Omega and let them know what Jared is up to. Jared is actually one of a few other brands owned by one company. Since my warranty card says "Sterling Jeweler" I'm inclined to believe these watches get bounced around from store to store until sold. Definitely not a good excuse for selling watches in this condition tho...

I'll update this thread once I get my replacement and what Omega has to say about this...

Nobel Prize likes this.