First Omega! Bezel questions...

Hi, I've recently got my first Omega, a Seamaster 2230.50. I specifically wanted this watch for the white gold details on the dial. Although I quite like the bezel insert, I would like to preserve it by swapping out a bezel insert from a similar model; a 2254.50 for example.
I know there's some difference in height due to the clearance needed for the hands and the indices but not sure how that may affect a insert swap.
Is this as straightforward as I hope it will be or do I need to buy a whole new bezel from a Peter Blake or similar.
The watch is due for a service soon, so I hope to get the necessary parts to pass on and let the watchmaker swap them out.
1000006830.jpg

An insert swap is possible, but not recommended. Unlike Rolex bezel inserts, the Omega inserts are really difficult to get back in* once removed from the metal bezel housing (i.e, the scalloped portion of the bezel assembly). Omega does not sell inserts--they only sell the full bezel assembly (the bezel, bezel insert, and clickspring).

That said, you should be able to have the bezel assembly removed and replaced with another (such as from a 2254.50) as the case of your 2230.50 should be the same as a 2254.50.

Bezel assemblies can be ordered from Omega through a watchmaker with an Omega parts account. I just recently replaced the bezel assembly on my 2531.80 (Bond Seamaster) and in the U.S. the current price is $328.

Another word of advice--Omega bezel assemblies cannot be popped off with a case knife without doing damage. DO NOT DO IT!! You need a pliers with a soft synthetic ring that evenly pulls the assembly free while you rotate it counter-clockwise.

*And by really difficult I mean it's more likely you will damage the insert than getting it properly back in, even using a crystal press and using something to protect the insert. At least based on my experience.

IMG_2860_2048x.jpg

Although I quite like the bezel insert, I would like to preserve it by swapping out a bezel insert from a similar model; a 2254.50 for example.
Huh? Preserve it?! If you like it, why swap it out? What are you saving it for? This is not some rare limited edition horological wonder with a solid gold bezel, just a tool watch to wear and enjoy. If for some reason the bezel is damaged, you can always have it replaced at the next service. If you don't like the bezel, that's a different story.

[I wish we still had the emoji with the finger circling the ear. Badly needed here.]

Huh? Preserve it?! If you like it, why swap it out? What are you saving it for? This is not some rare limited edition horological wonder with a solid gold bezel, just a tool watch to wear and enjoy. If for some reason the bezel is damaged, you can always have it replaced at the next service. 🤨

[I wish we still had the emoji with the finger circling the ear.
As you say, these are 18ct gold inserts. I've seen them listed for around £1000.
I'll be wearing this watch every day and as a service engineer, I fear the bezel will not wear well. I'd rather swap it out for something that doesn't cost half what the watch did.
Anyway, thanks for your input.

An insert swap is possible, but not recommended. Unlike Rolex bezel inserts, the Omega inserts are really difficult to get back in* once removed from the metal bezel housing (i.e, the scalloped portion of the bezel assembly). Omega does not sell inserts--they only sell the full bezel assembly (the bezel, bezel insert, and clickspring).

That said, you should be able to have the bezel assembly removed and replaced with another (such as from a 2254.50) as the case of your 2230.50 should be the same as a 2254.50.

Bezel assemblies can be ordered from Omega through a watchmaker with an Omega parts account. I just recently replaced the bezel assembly on my 2531.80 (Bond Seamaster) and in the U.S. the current price is $328.

Another word of advice--Omega bezel assemblies cannot be popped off with a case knife without doing damage. DO NOT DO IT!! You need a pliers with a soft synthetic ring that evenly pulls the assembly free while you rotate it counter-clockwise.

*And by really difficult I mean it's more likely you will damage the insert than getting it properly back in, even using a crystal press and using something to protect the insert. At least based on my experience.

IMG_2860_2048x.jpg
Thank you for such an informative and comprehensive reply!
Just the information I was after.
I won't be doing the work myself, I used to mod Seikos, but will be leaving this to the professionals.
I think, as I'm on a budget, I'll try to find a used 2254.50 complete bezel.
Thank you.

And just another note — I’d say 99.9% of bezel inserts you find online are aftermarket/fake. If you can’t find a used bezel assembly, your best bet is a watchmaker with a parts account.