Forums Latest Members
  1. VintageWaltham Jun 4, 2016

Hi everyone. I have a modest little collection of vintage watches that I started to amass about a year ago. At first I was focused on old Walthams. I enjoy finding unique ones with character, and because they are not so collectable they are inexpensive yet still nicely made and stylish. More recently I have picked up some other brands. Outside of my initial Waltham interest, I'm not very brand focused, but more interested in whether or not the watch sparks my interests, usually due to a nice patina or unique dial or style.

So last week I was visiting my vintage watch dealer in Manhattan and saw this watch in the display window. It immediately jumped out at me. My initial fascination was in the copper color of the case and then the aged dial. I found out that the case is actually solid 9ct rose gold - a rather unique blend which with its natural patina has a very beautiful aesthetic. The dial has some interesting patina and oxidation on it that almost makes it look the face of the moon - fitting for an Omega. My dealer placed the serial number to around 1944 I believe. That's all I really know about the watch.

Can anyone tell me more about this? Is it just some generic Omega or does it belong to a specific model type? I did some looking around on ebay etc and didn't find anything that was especially similar to it. I've been wearing it the past few days and love it. Any extra info or anecdotes about this watch from you experts would be appreciated. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Junior archer Jun 4, 2016

Amazing find. I can't add anything about the model but just thought I would share my appreciation. The dial has developed quite a stunning patina. Hope you enjoy it.

Larry S, VintageWaltham and Foo2rama like this.
  3. Geordie Jun 4, 2016

Great enthusiasm but a lot of work to do.

4. VintageWaltham Jun 5, 2016

What do you mean? The watch needs a lot of work? Or I need to do a lot of work educating myself? Thanks.

5. omegastar Jun 5, 2016

Nice to find a watch in original condition.
    Probably a cal. 28 or 30 mm. To determine the caliber you can either measure the mvt diameter or look with a magnifier under the balance it should be written there. I would vote cal. 28.
    Style is original and rarely seen, gold case with steel hands and white markers.

6. VintageWaltham Jun 5, 2016

Thank you. I haven't measured it, but it's probably 28mm. It's a fairly small watch. Just searching ebay etc, doesn't seem like there are a lot of Omegas from the 30s and 40s floating around. Probably not a lot of demand for them due to small dial size.

7. François Pépin Jun 5, 2016

Hello,

Nice watch!
    It seems to be a 26,5, a very good caliber. The case back could to be French (it seems to have the typical French made Omega case mark). But it is strange because it should be 18 ct to fit the French law concerning gold stuff. So I think it comes from elsewhere.

Regards,
    François

8. François Pépin Jun 5, 2016

My mistake. After a closer look, it seems to be a general mark we can see on case backs of that kind of watch - I have one in steel, cal 26,5, ca 1930, with about the same mark.
    So definitly not French.

9. VintageWaltham Jun 5, 2016

The larger circle mark says OMEGA and the one below just says 9ct. I assumed it was English. I will take the back off again and see if I can find a Cal number under the balance wheel. Thanks.

10. François Pépin Jun 5, 2016

You are probably right - as far as I know, 9 ct is an English speciality. I am pretty sure for the caliber.

I would like to follow up concerning the mark. Sure, it is an Omage mark. But we usually find one similar on French glod case made for Omega watches.

For instance, on a 283 from the 1950s:

[​IMG]

That is why I first thought of that possibility. But actually it is not possible because to the French administration, only 18ct is considered gold. It is true that your mark also looks like similar to the ones we can find of regular Swiss 26,5 cal case backs. For instance :

[​IMG]

But your mark looks more like the French one. I guess this kind of mark was used in different gold cases not made by Omega, but by countries like France or England.

VintageWaltham likes this.
  11. skipper Jun 5, 2016

Nice example of a 30T2 / cal. 260, though really a 30T2 I think as c.1944. I have my grandfathers old 30T2 that I wear from time to time. Really love these old manual wind Omega dress watches. He bought his at the end of the war, passed it on to my mother, and subsequently it was passed to me. Mine is a 10.4m, a touch later than yours, which I date to 44/45 partly on movement number and partly on date of purchase!

I like the dial as is - don't have it restored! A service, seals etc and wear the old girl! Here's mine as a comparision (I went the service only route, and various new movement parts - left dial / hands as they were).

Watches Jan 2011 003 (Large).jpg

Watches Jan 2011 005 (Large).jpg

VintageWaltham likes this.
  12. François Pépin Jun 5, 2016

Nice watch! But not same caliber as the OP's one. His is from de 26,5 familly (not exactly a 26,5 indeed, but probably a 26,5t3 with a monmetallic balance wheel.

13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 5, 2016

9ct is surely an English speciality
    But those hallmarks don't look English to me

14. skipper Jun 5, 2016

I thought 265 was antimagnetic post 1949? Probably wrong on that...!!!

15. VintageWaltham Jun 5, 2016

So I took the back off again and tried to look for any writing under the balance and was able to make out "5 T 3" in very small stamped lettering. If there was anything written to the left of that it was obscured by the balance assembly.

Also took a couple close ups of the hallmarks on the inside of the case for anyone who is interested.

Thanks for everyone's input.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jun 5, 2016

Hi all,
    I confirm François' identification, it is a 26.5.
    It looks like a model Alcaios, here in a 1937 Italian catalog :
    1937 XV E.F. Détails _0027.jpg

17. VintageWaltham Jun 5, 2016

Interesting. Thanks for the catalogue photo. Looks like there was a steel and gold version too.

Do you guys think that the crown on my watch is original? I just left the watch with my watchmaker who is going to clean the movement (don't worry he's not gonna touch the dial). I also picked out an Omega crown for him to replace the current one. He said that the current one probably wasn't original, though the dimension of the current crown, as you can see in my photos above, looks similar to the one in the Italian catalogue. (however the material of the current crown feel like kind of cheap metal and the original Omega replacement ones he had were much nicer) The replacement crown that my watchmaker had is the same style except that it has the Omicron symbol on it. Would an Omega from the 40s have had the symbol on the crown or just a generic crown?

Thanks

Edited Jun 5, 2016
  18. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jun 5, 2016

No signed crown for an Omega from this period.

19. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 5, 2016

Good call, Francois and welcome!
    We are in need of members appreciating the older models.

The Speedmasters and Constellations have many followers......but a nice Marine or Medicus, well, not so much.

You must get to know Yann (tire-comedon), he is like having the Brandt family or the Omega museum as a friend.

Welcome to the forum!

noelekal likes this.
  20. François Pépin Jun 6, 2016

Thanks for the warm welcome! really appreciate that. And "hi" Yann (or Tire-comedon)!

Actually, I am no expert at all concerning Speedmasters and Constellations. Not an expert either for any other watch, but I like old Omegas such as the ones with the cal. 30 series, the 26,5 series, or the cal 19 series for pocket watches . No expert, but as I service my watches myself, I have some "practical" knowledge about those calibers. Let me add I am not a watchmaker, rather an "amateur éclairé" (a well informed or enlightened amateur).