Forums Latest Members

First nice watch - Help me decide

1. Winrya Jan 28, 2019

I've spent the last couple of weeks reading through the posts on here, great forum and I've really enjoyed looking at all the stunning watches.

After wanting a Seamaster 300 in black for the past 15 years, ever since my mates dad had one as kid, I've decided now is the point in life where I treat myself.

Now the easy bit is I know I want either the 41mm Seamaster 300 in black or the new 42mm version. (would have been much easier if the new version hadn't been released)

In isolation both watches are stunning, but side by side I lean very slightly towards preferring the waves on the new model and I love the clear sapphire rear.

However, I'm struggling to decide whether the price difference makes the original a no brainer. I've been offered the original £2920 rrp watch for £2700 at an official omega boutique with very little haggling and £2600 at a goldsmiths. Neither would offer a penny off the new £3600 version (because it was new) so the difference in price is £1000. My wife gets 5% discount on vouchers from goldsmiths and 8.5% from Omega so makes the original almost £2400 target price.

My thinking is the £2920 version will in all likely hood be phased out shortly so the entry into seamaster ownership will be £3600 which in my head makes the older version a great buy currently and will help its used values when is ceases. And is 10% discount something that could be improved upon in a goldsmiths or omega store with a bit of haggling?

Cheers,

Ryan

2. Vitezi Jan 28, 2019

Hi Ryan, welcome to the forum! If you haven't already done so, make sure to try them both on your wrist (as opposed to trying to decide based on pictures). You may find you really prefer one design over the other once it has been strapped on, in which case you buy what will make you happy. If both look equally as good, buy the cheaper one and save the cash for another one. Watches are like potato chips - you can't have just one!

3. BenBagbag Jan 28, 2019

I think the new one is much more balanced. It has the 10 on the bezel, the date moved to 6. I just like it more. Try both on. They wear differently.

4. hungdangnguyen23 Jan 28, 2019

I'm a fan of the new one too but the waves are polarizing. You might want to have both in hand simultaneously before making a decision.

5. rudagger Jan 28, 2019

Don't buy the old one because it's the better deal - you'll never be 100% happy with it. Buy whichever you like best. If you like the new one best, and you would like to get a deal, you can always wait (a year??) and then get a deal.

Muddlerminnow likes this.
  6. Lbreak Jan 28, 2019

Do remember that the new seamaster has a much newer and better movement compare to the old one. I would highly recommend choosing the new one over the old one.

7. gostang9 Jan 28, 2019

This thread is definitely missing something... can’t quite put my finger on it or picture just what it might be... :thumbsdown:

8. gostang9 Jan 28, 2019

Is this the 41mm you’re debating?

05011039-F0F0-4565-859E-47E65A6C477B.jpeg

And is this the 42mm one?
    0A7BCFEB-4CEF-4CEA-B425-FB1DBCE8464F.jpeg

(Both courtesy of Omega website)

Reddy_Kilowatt, Lbreak and BenBagbag like this.
  9. Winrya Jan 29, 2019

Yes they’re the 2 options

At the omega shop they only had the 41mm in black and the new version with the rubber strap. Really not a fan of the rubber strap so when trying them on I much preferred the older one.

At goldsmiths they had both and I was almost shocked how much I liked the 42mm with the stainless strap.

My wife prefers the the plain gloss black face on the 41mm and doesn’t like the white numbers on the bezel.

I am a sucker for liking new things and once the new bond comes out and all the advertising goes full steam ahead I know I’d get a certain satisfaction from having the new version. But no denying a bargain....

Thanks for the input so far, I think I need to try them on again

10. Au79 Aluminium Jan 29, 2019

Ryan, you mentioned that this is your first nice watch. I know £1000 is not chump change but it sounds like the one you really want is the new model. As someone else mentioned, you should get what you really want or you will regret down the road. Your wife's opinion is important but you are the one who is going to stare at it every day. £1000 is a lot of money but you said you wanted to treat yourself with this purchase. I think if it is to celebrate yourself, I think you should get what you really want and not short change yourself. If the extra £1000 is a stretch right now, I say save up and get the new version few months down the road. Good luck.

11. boogedyboo Jan 29, 2019

The enjoyment from wearing the watch you actually want will be savoured long after you have gotten over how much it costs.

Over the long run, you will beat yourself up for buying a watch because it was a bargain and not because it was the one you wanted.

12. ama98 Jan 29, 2019

I have picked the new version so I can suggest to choose that one!

13. Steve Essex Jan 29, 2019

Listen to yourself. Possibly more importantly, listen to your wife! :whipped:

14. gostang9 Jan 29, 2019

The latest model is not always “better”. All depends on the person buying.

Rolex have changed many models over the past decade (going to ceramic, maxi-case, larger sizes) and there is a strong preference for the older model from many people.

I don’t personally like the wavy dial so given the choice between those 2 I’d go for the older model all day every day.

15. lillatroll Jan 29, 2019

I think you should go with the new one as that seems to be the one you desire the most. Obviously a 1000 pounds is a lot of money but I think it would grate on me if my sole descion was based on price alone.

I think the only way to know is to try them on and if you still can t decide, go for the cheaper option, but if your heart is telling you to go with the new one you won t really think about it after you have worn it for a while.

16. JeremyS Jan 29, 2019

I have the old version, but also couldn’t resist the pull of the new version. The micro-adjustability I’d the clasp is really great, and it’s jist gorgeous. It sounds like you prefer the new version, so I would go for it. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the previous version. I’m fact, the 2500D movement in my Seamaster Pro is one of my most accurate. However, the new version...it’s so gorgeous, and even more so I’m the flesh.

17. Winrya Jan 29, 2019

I was hoping you’d all guide me back to the seemingly more sensible choice but it seems the new version is getting the vote. I’m going to try omega again the weekend and see if there is anything they can do to get somewhere near the grey market sellers. I always like a deal, nice to ease the depreciation hit so I best get to work. Thanks again for all the input. Will be a moon watch next :D

18. Bond_007 Jan 30, 2019

The older ceramic looks cleaner with the clean dial. But the new one brings back some tradition with the wave dial. I personally own the older ceramic version and like it a lot due to the clean dial, but that is just m opinion. You will also save some money going with the older style..

19. Bond_007 Jan 30, 2019

Just has a clean look I can appreciate!

IMG_6008.jpg
  20. Steve Essex Jan 30, 2019

You can get an Omega micro adjustable clasp for the outgoing model. Just £43.