Forums Latest Members

First Man – A Movie Worth Your Time

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Nov 27, 2018

[​IMG]
    There are only a handful of projects in Hollywood that we can think of when we hear that Omega appears in them. The most obvious would be James Bond. Ok, that production is actually not coming from Hollywood, but you get what I mean. Since the release of GoldenEye in 1995 Her Majesty’s secret agent […]

Visit First Man – A Movie Worth Your Time to read the full article.

nttisch23, waveguide, jeroni0 and 8 others like this.
  2. Millenary Watches Nov 27, 2018

Watched the movie. Big recommend:thumbsup:

jcmartinez98 likes this.
  3. LeonDeBayonne Nov 27, 2018

@Robert-Jan Thank you for the article. Looking at the crown, it seems (but I could be wrong) that the 105.003 has been built from a FOIS with 105.003 replacement dial and hands.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  4. TLIGuy Nov 27, 2018

@Robert-Jan as usual a very nice article about the movie and Omegas participation in the project.

Having seen the movie three times, and embarrassingly the third being almost exclusively for watch spotting, I think the movie gets real close to accurately showing period correct watches as worn by the astronauts during that time period especially the use of the JB Champion bracelet which would be a first in a movie and nice to see.

Ed White's wrist clearly receives the Oscar win for the JB Champions performance on the wrist of a major character. Unfortunately I think Armstrong looses and Aldrin isn't even nominated. While Armstrong does wear some type of period correct band I'm not completely sure it is the correct JB mesh bracelet. Something looks off in the mesh pattern and the end links in the movie. I can't say definitely and I think only a Blue-Ray viewing with solve the mystery.

Aldrin clearly does not wear the correct bracelet and it's even more evident in the movie when he is seen from the rear in the pre-flight press conference.

Here is a picture from Universal/Universe Today showing the press conference where Aldrin's incorrect bracelet can be seen. Collins gets the short end on the stick in the movie but he does seem to get a JB style bracelet judging by the release clasp on the bracelet.

Chazelle-and-astronauts.jpeg

All in all, I think the the prop and costume team did a great job portraying the watches of the period. With a budget of 59 million dollars sourcing a few additional correct bracelets wouldn't have broken the bank.

It does have to be somewhat disappointing to Omega that the best scene of the Speedmaster being strapped onto the wrist of Armstrong, as seen in the Omega video, ended up on the cutting room floor.

Edited Nov 27, 2018
    Hands90, Robert-Jan, M'Bob and 2 others like this.
  5. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Feb 10, 2019

bama2141 and eugeneandresson like this.
  6. jspaxton Feb 10, 2019

I am an OMega newbie and enjoyed the movie last night. I had fun pointing out the omega watches to my wife.

igloe likes this.
  7. BradleyJ. Feb 10, 2019

How'd she feel about it? :D my wife would tell me to shut up hahaha.

For watch related reasons or not the flick is pretty good. They didn't embellish anything and it seemed very well told.

Edited Feb 10, 2019
  8. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Feb 10, 2019

I thought it was a good movie all told but there were so many other far more glaring factual inaccuracies in it that I didn't really bother noting who wore which watch by the end. Watches are just like any other prop in a movie. 99% of the time what you see is illusion. After all, it's not as if Gosling and Stoll flew up to Mare Traquillitatis to film the Moon scenes.

9. jspaxton Feb 11, 2019

It turns out I am a lucky man, my wife likes nice watches too :)

10. valkyrie_rider Feb 11, 2019

Watched in the theater, pretty good movie.