Forums Latest Members
  1. Bravo Sierra Mar 1, 2018

This is my first luxury watch, and I have a few questions. I'd always had my eye on a Rolex Marine Dweller, but found that approach too "common". Instead, I purchased this Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Master Chronometer from Watchmaxx (Model 215.30.40.20.03.001).
    It has an 8800 movement, but I read a lot about the 8900 movement in similar models. What's the difference?
    Does this have a "Divers Extension" capability on the band? it does have a nice micro-adjust for fine tuning the fit.
    How do you typically check accuracy? Just against an internet time source?

Thanks all, I really like this watch.

IMAG00962.jpg IMAG00963.jpg IMAG00964.jpg
    REckroat likes this.
  2. dinexus Mar 1, 2018

Lots of information online to answer all your questions, but I'll take the lowest hanging fruit – the 8800 has a lower power reserve and lacks the "travel time" function (jumping hour hand) of the 8900. It's a slightly smaller movement, enabling Omega to deploy it in smaller cases like the 39.5mm variant you're interested in. No chronometric differences with its bigger brother.

Jerseyhammer likes this.
  3. Bravo Sierra Mar 1, 2018

Thanks, that makes sense. I prefer the smaller case, and that explains the different movement. Still very happy with it.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 1, 2018

As for divers extension I assume it has some functionality for it... this is a first gen PO they did not have micro adjustments. And micro adjustment may have replaced it

Great piece you have

image.jpg image.jpg

5. Bravo Sierra Mar 1, 2018

Great pictures, thanks. From the looks of it, I think you are correct, the micro adjust must have replaced the divers extension function.
    Here is the picture om mine with the micro adjust.
    I think for me, the micro adjust will be much more useful than the divers extension. As much as I'd like to spend all my time diving, that's not really the case...

IMAG00967.jpg
    Foo2rama likes this.
  6. Jerseyhammer Mar 1, 2018

Great watch ! PO are too heavy for me to wear every day but they look good and set a standard . Enjoy it

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 1, 2018

Honestly the divers extension is too big of a change to wear on a cold water full suit. More dry suit only in practice.

watch3s likes this.
  8. nmttd2 Mar 1, 2018

Great choice here. Since is it a master Chronometer. It will have a master chronometer card that you can go online with Omega and see what your timing is from the facotry. It will show all what how many secs you are running fast. This is METAS tested so it should be within 0 to +5 secs.

9. REckroat Mar 1, 2018

I'll echo the sentiments here, great choice. I also went with a PO model for my first big boy watch, the 600M with the 3313 movement. A 2009 model, it came with the diver's extension but I could never get just the right fit solely by removing links. Even looked into half-links. That was until this winter when during a stop in to the local OB, I discovered the new clasp with micro-adjustability. Ordered one immediately for my PO and it's never felt better. Especially useful when my wrist swells/shrinks with vast changes in temperature. In fact, I ordered another for the new 300M I just picked up. The onsite watchmaker told me that within a few years, we're likely to see all new models come with this clasp.

As for checking time, my preferred is the US Navy Master Clock, http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/simpletime.html From what I have read and been told, the watch should be within -6 to +4 seconds, or there about. Omega states that the chronometer certification requires 99.99% accuracy. When you do the math on that it is an 8.64 second tolerance.

Foo2rama likes this.
  10. Bravo Sierra Mar 15, 2018

Thanks for the replies. I found the test card for mine, and was able to look up all the test results - very interesting. And now that I've been using it regularly for a couple of weeks, I have to say the accuracy is very good. I've not compared it to the USN Master clock yet, but compared to my other "synchronized" time sources, it seems to only be off by a few seconds. I'll try to do a more "controlled" test against the master clock and see how that looks.
    And the Micro Adjust is great. I think I adjust it almost every day as it feels a little loose or tight, and I can set it just right. I like this watch more every day, its hard to leave it home on those days I shouldn't have it out.

11. Bravo Sierra Mar 19, 2018

About 4 seconds fast in 72 hours. Not bad...